Maximum amount of carbs at any one meal??

vision

Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount of carbs the body can take in one meal where any more carbs would not be any more beneficial?

My personal intake is 4-5 meals a day and take in the most carbs in Meal #1 and my Post WO meal

I've recently changed my Post WO shake and added oats instead of maltodextrin, and i threw in some ice cream that's sitting in the freezer. I just sat down and figured out the totals thats in my shake and they seem a bit much. The basic breakdown for my Post WO shake is as follows:

1608 calories
257 fat calories
28.5g fat
6.5g sat fat
4g poly fat
14g mono fat
249g total carbs
28g dietary fiber
121g sugar
75g complete proteins
24g incomplete proteins

Takes about a half hour to drink it all, i'm in no hurry because i mix 20g BCAA and 10g dextrose in my water during my WO...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dwazzy

Awards
Personally I think its to much fat and you need a faster carb then oats, dextrose is good with whey PWO, then have oats with whatever lean protein 30-60 min later.

sullyx44

sullyx44

Awards
Thats a little crazy for a shake IMO man. WAY to much fat! A lot of calories. You are taking in over 1/3 of you daily nutriitonal totals at once. Your body isn't going to be able to process all that. A pretty popular combo with homeade shakes about 40g dextrose/40g Malto/40g Whey. It digests quickly and gets those nutrients into your muslces right away. Then you can get your real nutrients from actual food in your post workout meal. The post workout shake should only be used to get quick digesting nutrients into your body to feed your muscles. Get your calories from REAL food.

I personally just pick up Vitamin Shoppes store brand weight gainer.
620 cals
5g fat
90g Carbs
9g Sugar
53g Protein

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
1608 calories
257 fat calories
28.5g fat
6.5g sat fat
4g poly fat
14g mono fat
249g total carbs
28g dietary fiber
121g sugar
75g complete proteins
24g incomplete proteins

Takes about a half hour to drink it all, i'm in no hurry because i mix 20g BCAA and 10g dextrose in my water during my WO...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
That is quite excessive on all accounts. Taking in that amount of kcals, fat, cho & pro in 1 meal not to mention PWO is completely unnecessary and not beneficial on any level, unless of course you are planning to pack on the adipose.

vision

yea, i didn't realize how much i was taking in until i was making a new meal schedule and added it all up. i ended up just adding a couple things to it over the past couple weeks and it got out of control.

Personally I think its to much fat and you need a faster carb then oats, dextrose is good with whey PWO, then have oats with whatever lean protein 30-60 min later.
I just got off of using malto/dextrose in my PWO shake and it made me feel too bloated and I crashed quickly afterwards. Now that I use oats I feel much better. I eat consistently throughout the day so I don't see the need to use malto/dextrose since it makes me feel weird. I may try WMS just to see how it works.

Thanks for the responses but no one really answered my question: Is there a maximum amount of carbs that a person can take in at any one meal, most notably PWO. Right now i'm going for about 60-80g of carbs per meal early in the day and tapering it down in the evening for a total of around 350-400g total.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses but no one really answered my question: Is there a maximum amount of carbs that a person can take in at any one meal, most notably PWO.
I think it is because your question is vague.

As phrased, the answer to your question is that your are limited by what you can cram into your stomach. Your body will eventually use/store every calorie that it can digest.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses but no one really answered my question: Is there a maximum amount of carbs that a person can take in at any one meal, most notably PWO. Right now i'm going for about 60-80g of carbs per meal early in the day and tapering it down in the evening for a total of around 350-400g total.
Maximum as far as what? Inability for the body to maintain euglycemia? Your not giving much info: type workout, ht/wt, BF%, goal....

What is your total caloric intake? Figure that and then pick a percentage of calories from carbs and plan your meals based on that.

Don't expect a generic amount, there are too many variables involved.

vision

Maximum as far as what? Inability for the body to maintain euglycemia? Your not giving much info: type workout, ht/wt, BF%, goal....

What is your total caloric intake? Figure that and then pick a percentage of calories from carbs and plan your meals based on that.

Don't expect a generic amount, there are too many variables involved.
ht/wt = 165lbs
bf% = approx. 14%

workout: WOs are based around compound lifts and i'm incorporating olympic lifts and partial lifts too, mainly variations of the clean and press. weight training is usually done 2on 1off sometimes 3on 1off depending on how i feel. The cycle i'm finishing up now is Push(1A-1B-1C)/ Legs(2A-2B-2C)/ Pull(3A-3B-3C) emphasizing a different bodypart each day. I'll be sticking with a push/legs/pull routine for another 6-8 weeks just changing some exercises around and tweaking it a bit.

cardio: i jog to the gym and back home (about 1 mile each way) and i jog to the grocery store (having no car sucks but its great for cardio) so i run anywhere from 15-25 miles a week depending if i do any two-a-days (ab/power workout early morning and weight training in the late afternoon)

i also do plyometrics and speed work 2-3 times a week

Total Caloric Intake: usually 3200-4000 calories a day, 5-7 meals 45%c/35%p/20%f

9-10 hours sleep a night

supplements:
multi
whey
bcaa
muscle milk
glutamine
creatine
various nootropics

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can imagine the time he spends in the bathroom as soon as he finishes that shake and sets the shaker down...

:run:---------------->>> :dump:

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
500g carbs in a single sitting has been shown to cause a net fat gain of 4-5g (about 1/6th of one ounce). This wasn't even postworkout carbs, which are ingested during a point of maximal depletion & lean tissue reception, not to mention maximal thermogenesis. Fat storage would be highly unlikely given the demands of the body immediately post workout.

Moral of the story: your 249g is a lot, but it doesn't stand a huge chance by itself of causing any real damage.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
500g carbs in a single sitting has been shown to cause a net fat gain of 4-5g (about 1/6th of one ounce). This wasn't even postworkout carbs, which are ingested during a point of maximal depletion & lean tissue reception, not to mention maximal thermogenesis. Fat storage would be highly unlikely given the demands of the body immediately post workout.

Moral of the story: your 249g is a lot, but it doesn't stand a huge chance by itself of causing any real damage.
Ok then pal....how much would you say is optimal for PWO? You completely set yourself up for that question ;)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell the 28 grams of fiber is what has me scared :) Just thinking about it made me had to go ****.

dmix

Awards
Per his follow-up to the original BB.com post:
Post workout shake:
Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.5g/lb TBW

This assumes that you've had a solid pre-workout meal, the guidelines of which are:
Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW

Personally, I just use 4 lbs of table sugar post-workouts, but I'm a little bit "old school" in that regard.

vision

Does that include the monstrosity of a PWO shake you're having?
No, that pushed my intake to about 5000. That PWO shake was the result of running out of malto. I didnt really like malto too much, it filled me up after my WO but i was too full to eat any low gi carbs afterwards and caused me to crash after about 2 hours. So when i ran out i checked the forums and found a lot of people use oats so i tried it and i love it. Its just so happens with the combo of oats/ice cream/natty pb/fruit/added fiber the calories got out of control. I only used this monster shake for about 10 days, when i finally sat down to add up the calories it just got me wondering about max carb intake and general PWO nutrition.

I can imagine the time he spends in the bathroom as soon as he finishes that shake and sets the shaker down...
Actually the shake had no effect on my regularity, i've been able to set my watch to it for years and its never changed or ever given me any problems. Except when i put too many hot peppers on my subs, wow i always pay for that the next morning, but i keep forgetting lol.

Per his follow-up to the original BB.com post:
Post workout shake:
Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.5g/lb TBW

This assumes that you've had a solid pre-workout meal, the guidelines of which are:
Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW

Personally, I just use 4 lbs of table sugar post-workouts, but I'm a little bit "old school" in that regard.
Thanks for your responses, I'll keep that in mind.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
not to hijack, but this thread caused me to evaluate my pwo nutrition...I was shocked to find that I'm consuming:

714 cals
9g fat
100g carbs
66g protein

These are mostly (except the protein) from whole food sources (oats, 1 banana, sometimes a small whole wheat bagel too). Probably too much for a 257lb guy on a cut? This is (by about 200 cals) my biggest meal of the day.

dmix

Awards
4 lbs...am I reading this right?:jaw:
Just kidding, making light of the massive anti-high GI movement on the board. I actually use 1/2 cup of oats, 1/3 serving of Surge, 1 scoop ON whey. Gives me a little bit of malto/dext (I know! I know!), a lot of low-GI, and protein.

Rampage, just to use some of the stuff I've picked up from Alan's book - if your pre-workout meal is solid, then the post-workout doesn't have to be so huge. It's more of a continuation of a stream of nutrients. You could probably drop it down to 500 cal, but I'll bow to the masters on this one.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...well my Pre-Workout meal is Breakfast (about 1.5-2 hrs before workout)...

It is:
2 Scoops Dymatize Vanilla
1/2 cup oats
1 cup skim milk
4 fish oil caps

Comes out to around 500 cals...~50g of pro and carb. This is fairly close to the .25 cho & protein/tbw

I could probably do the same minus the fish oil and plus a banana to achieve the .5 g cho/tbw.... any thoughts guys? I know it's my 3rd meal of the day before I get any whole food protein, but its easier to chug down on the way to class (7am labs suck)

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Ha, my super endo body would blow that theory all to hell. I guarantee you if I ingested 500 g's of carbs in one meal I'd be an instant balloon and would put on 2-3 lbs of fat.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just kidding, making light of the massive anti-high GI movement on the board. I actually use 1/2 cup of oats, 1/3 serving of Surge, 1 scoop ON whey. Gives me a little bit of malto/dext (I know! I know!), a lot of low-GI, and protein.
:icon_lol: I got you now.

Surge? You mean the soda?

dmix

Awards
I wish, man. No, the supplement from Berardi at t-nation. I bought it in the pre-Girth Control era, before I knew what I was doing nutritionally. I'd rather stick with oats.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Ha, my super endo body would blow that theory all to hell. I guarantee you if I ingested 500 g's of carbs in one meal I'd be an instant balloon and would put on 2-3 lbs of fat.
Carb overfeeds have been tested under controlled conditions in lean & obese subjects alike. I've read the research, no staggering differences between the two groups. You'd probably mistake most of your sudden water weight gain for fat. Unless you're an anomalous creature who defies the physics of the body, there's no need to worry about large hits of carbs postworkout.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Unless you're an anomalous creature who defies the physics of the body, there's no need to worry about large hits of carbs postworkout.
If this is true, then is there really an optimal PWO CHO dose? Or are you simply stating that there are diminishing returns beyond a certain point, but not really negative effects?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Carb overfeeds have been tested under controlled conditions in lean & obese subjects alike. I've read the research, no staggering differences between the two groups. You'd probably mistake most of your sudden water weight gain for fat. Unless you're an anomalous creature who defies the physics of the body, there's no need to worry about large hits of carbs postworkout.
When it comes to carbs, I think I am an anomalous creature..lol..Yeah your prob right, mostly water, but I still don't care for the crappy feeling all those carbs give me. Don't get me wrong, I love my carbs, but after a good quality cheat meal I feel like death warmed over....

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
If this is true, then is there really an optimal PWO CHO dose? Or are you simply stating that there are diminishing returns beyond a certain point, but not really negative effects?
The optimal postW carb dose is gonna vary with the individual. The only diminishing returns would manifest themselves in the practical layout of carbs for the day -- all depending on the person't total carb allotment. For example, if a 200lb guy was lowballing & only giving himself 100 carbs per day, then it wouldn't be a good thing to train on zero carbs & slam the total for the day postworkout. This is because the training bout would have severely compromised force production. Id rather see him split the dose up pre & post. On the other hand, if he had double that carb allotment, then he has more wiggle room. The answer to your Q really depends on the individual situation. It's sort of an "optimal for whom?" thing.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is there a maximum advisable amount of carbs you should eat in one meal?