Best flour for homemade gainer?

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Im looking to make a simple all powder weight gainer to drink at work.

To do so, Im going to throw some kind of flour into my whey blend and some fats.

Out of all the products on this page, which of these flours would be best suited for this purpose considering primarily low GI and low GL, and secondly not tasting too much like ass.

Bob's Red Mill - Whole Grain and Gluten Free Products and Recipes

A few that caught my attention were
AMARANTH FLOUR
BARLEY FLOUR
OAT FLOUR
ORGANIC QUINOA FLOUR

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bob's mill also makes brown rice flour, which I think would be interesting. I just bought some white rice flour to make a pwo gainer.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear Im not the only one using flour.

I could see the application of a rice flour over a grain flour for PWO use if you are of the insulin spike school.

I like to keep my levels steady though, so a low GI/GL product is real important to me.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would go with the oats. Processing will raise the GI of most foods but apperantley not oats. Look at similar threads and click on the thread started by socartes44. Bobo posted a study in the thread that states this.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup, that's why I have picked up oat flour...and it doesn't taste bad either.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
i use quinoa, oat and milled flax, but let it be known the quinoa is bitter tasting albeit nutritionally the winner hands down

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just put flax seed in a coffee bean grinder.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Oat here as well as ground flax seed in the magic bullet.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How does the magic bullet work on oats? The coffee bean grinder does better than the blender, but you still have to chew a little and shake A LOT while drinking.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
The magic bullet blended up oats with protein and milk pretty well for me.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Whole Foods- Organic oat flour. Try their Organic Groats, read the directions for cooking.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The magic bullet blended up oats with protein and milk pretty well for me.
Better than a blender?

I still think the flour is the best option b/c you get a homogenious mixture instead of having stuff sink to the bottom.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I like the flour better, and the only problem with the magic bullet and oats is if it's wet. The oats stick and don't get ground. Otherwise it is pretty much on par w/the coffee grinder. :)

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Better than a blender?

I still think the flour is the best option b/c you get a homogenious mixture instead of having stuff sink to the bottom.
Definetly better than a blender. I agree with you, Im going with the oat flour. So much easier, cheap, and same exact effect.

f18jock

f18jock

Awards
I use the coffee grinder to grind up my oats. Put a cup of DRY oats in the grinder, 20 seconds of grinding later you have powdered oats for the shake.

YUM