Obesity In Kids and Adults alike is getting so out of control.

Fun2Train

Awards
Everyone sees it,in every day life just walking around and looking at all the adults that have pot bellies and who are major overweight. It so sad to see almost 8/10 people around you major overweight. My wife is a third grade teacher and I go volunteer in her class allot, read to the kids and just help out when I can. It so sad to see these kids who are so fat, so lazy and have no energy or drive to even go out and play in the playground. They complain about having to go outside and play, cant focus and concentrate. I watch them eat lunch which provided by public schoolls are terrible but even worse I'v seen kids bring their on lunches that would make you cry. I saw a third grade girl few days ago bring a pb and jelly sandwhich for lunch with a bag of oreos and 20oz Coke. Whats worse is just talking to the majority of people and children they dont realize or even have any comprehension of healthy eating habbits. I think there is this "Myth" around exercise and eating healthy that people think it is either A: to expensive or B: to hard. Which actually it is less expensive to eat healthy then buy tons of ice cream and junk food, water is cheaper then soda's and eating smaller meals more often with minimal (30 minutes) exercise has to be easier then what some of these people go through to get what they want. See kids stand in line for 3 days to get a Playstation 3 but complain they dont have time to exercise. Anyway just thought id rant a little, its kinda depressing and I try to help anyone and everyone who will listen to me which is about all I can do I guess. Hopefully people will start to become a little more educated when it comes to nutrition and dieting correctly and get out of this "wonder pill" mindset. Lets hope things change before its too late for these kids.

Some interesting links
http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/funding_prevalence2005.jpg

http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/Adolescent_NHANES_Prev.jpg
http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/Women_NHANES_Prev.jpg
http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/Men_NHANES_Prev.jpg

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I just shake my head when I go out in public (which I try to limit :rolleyes: ). Fat people are EVERYWHERE! Sure, some have some kind of physiological problems, but I'm sure the majority are just lazy and/or ignorant.

Fun2Train

Awards
Yeah, I just shake my head when I go out in public (which I try to limit :rolleyes: ). Fat people are EVERYWHERE! Sure, some have some kind of physiological problems, but I'm sure the majority are just lazy and/or ignorant.
Tons of people like to blame genetics and other physiological problems on their health/weight but in most cases it just is not so. I mean with proper diet/nutrition I bet most physiological problems could be resolved, if not limited and at least lead to a more health and complete lifestyle.

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
Obesity has a cure... Stop eating so much damn ****... I'm glad a lot of money isn't spent on research for "Cures". Ohhh and genetic problems that make people fat? Why is it that people starving in developing countries don't have these sad genetic conditions.

Ok sorry, I just don't have to much sympathy for the complaining lazy..

I do believe money should be spent on ways to inform children. Kids need to be taught proper nutrition at a younger age. I was heavy as a kid and turned my life around. I have learned everything about nutrition, because of my interests in a proper diet. I, like most, was clueless before.

Fun2Train

Awards
Obesity has a cure... Stop eating so much damn ****... I'm glad a lot of money isn't spent on research for "Cures". Ohhh and genetic problems that make people fat? Why is it that people starving in developing countries don't have these sad genetic conditions.

Ok sorry, I just don't have to much sympathy for the complaining lazy..

I do believe money should be spent on ways to inform children. Kids need to be taught proper nutrition at a younger age. I was heavy as a kid and turned my life around. I have learned everything about nutrition, because of my interests in a proper diet. I, like most, was clueless before.
Exactly, I wish I knew what I know now when I was growing up. Kids need to be taught proper eating habbits.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I agree. But, I ate anything that came my way from the time I got into school, all the way through high school. We are talking calorie madness. But, I participated in almost every sport available in grade school and junior high, and played baseball and lifted weights in high school. I never had an ounce of fat on me. Of course, I may have clogged my arteries with ungodly amounts of ****.

It's diet + exercise. Kids are lazy.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Same here, heck my HS diet was mostly 2 choc milks and 2 bags of chips.
I played volleyball and eventually did weights later in HS and ate a lot of crap trying to gain weight which I could. After I started working in IT, it all went downhill.

I agree. But, I ate anything that came my way from the time I got into school, all the way through high school. We are talking calorie madness. But, I participated in almost every sport available in grade school and junior high, and played baseball and lifted weights in high school. I never had an ounce of fat on me. Of course, I may have clogged my arteries with ungodly amounts of ****.

It's diet + exercise. Kids are lazy.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah... a typical day's nutrition for me included...

Breakfast - 4 Eggo waffles covered in PB + high-sugar syrup, milk
Snack - chocolate chip cookies, coke
Lunch - Dbl. 1/4 pounder SUPER sized meal
Snack - chocolate ship cookies, coke
Dinner - Normally grilled steak or chicken (my 'rents love to grill), or another dbl 1/4 pounder meal if I was on the road
Late-night snack - more waffles, or cereal, or anything else in the cabinets.

And I was ripped. LOL

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tons of people like to blame genetics and other physiological problems on their health/weight but in most cases it just is not so. I mean with proper diet/nutrition I bet most physiological problems could be resolved, if not limited and at least lead to a more health and complete lifestyle.
Energy density of the crap that we currently call food is so high these days that it is next to impossible not to overeat. Factor in today's huge portions and it's no wonder there is an epidemic.

Ideally the government (or equiv agency with proper authority) would mandate nutrition classes in schools to teach people at a young age how detrimental poor food choices can be in the long run. However I doubt they have the cojones to put themselves at risks of law suits from sh1t-food producers claiming that the gov regulations are slanderous.