FDA and Oxyconton

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
So here is my thought for the day. Why is it the FDA will go after every supplament known to man kind. They have put a lid on everything that has helped the bodybuilding world.

Now why is it they turn a blind eye to the single worst drug in the world right now. Oxy. These things are killing millions of kids daily but the govenment has its hand in the pharmasutical industry. What are everyones thoughts.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
These things are killing millions of kids daily but the govenment has its hand in the pharmasutical industry.
Looks like you already know the answer, brother.. ;)

If the supplement industry were as dirty, everything banned wouldn't be right now..

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Now why is it they turn a blind eye to the single worst drug in the world right now. Oxy. These things are killing millions of kids daily but the govenment has its hand in the pharmasutical industry. What are everyones thoughts.
Oxycontin abuse is a huge problem, and the government knows it. But it's not like the FDA can just ban oxycontin, because there are chronic pain patients who desperately need it. For example, some forms of cancer cause unbearable, constant pain, and oxycontin is the best treatment. Moreover, it has fewer side effects than older drugs like morphine. Keep in mind oxycontin is a Schedule II drug, meaining that distribution is subjected to the highest level of control for a pharm drug.

The pharm companies are working on ways to make oxy abuse-resistant. The newest plan involves using naltrexone, an opiate antagonist, in oxy's time-release matrix. The naltrexone wouldn't be released when the pill is swallowed whole. But if it was crushed or chewed, the naltrexone would be released and send any opiate addict into immediate, excruciating withdrawal.

Trust me, the government is not turning a "blind eye" toward oxy. But if you have ever been around someone with chronic, severe pain, you understand why it can't be taken off the market.

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just like cocaine and morphine are still in use but have killed many. Of course money is a factor too, i'd assume but there are other reasons.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
"........the govenment has its hand in the pharmaceutical industry"

Bingo! Big Pharmacy companies can afford to influence politicians.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
Oxycontin is nasty. I threw up for 8 hours in a row and lost ten pounds in one night because i forget to eat before i snorted it.

dumb move, i know.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
All I know is that my best friend's Dad has a major oxy problem. He take's the the highest mg ones they make (I think it's like 150mg's) the one thats "extended release" so it's not supposed to hit your system all at once, but he grinds them up and snorts them so he gets the FULL 150MG'S AT ONCE. His doctor says that a dose that high would kill most people, but I guess his tolerance is super high from an escalating addiction. It's pretty sad man. His abuse has really taken it's toll on the whole family. Fortunately I heard he finally checked himself into NA and they convinced him that just because he gets a crooked doc to write him a script doesnt mean the way he's taking it is a good idea. My ex-GF didnt experience any relief from low dose ORAL adminisration, so I suspect it's the snorting and/or injecting of oxy thats causing the most problems.

sock

Awards
Just like cocaine and morphine are still in use but have killed many. Of course money is a factor too, i'd assume but there are other reasons.
You can add cigarettes and alcohol. No shortage of people dying from lung cancer or drunk drivers.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
All great points, Team Savage that was some great info man. As to knowing someone in pain well there are a few that I do. My motehr died last year of bone cancer and my wife has battled Hodgkins and Thyroid. I do believe in its use for pain, however there has to be a better way to distribute the stuff. I have 4 great freinds who are all a year away from killing themselves on the ****. Ya cocain ond cigarettes are killing many. But this crap has got to be the number one killer out there next to heroin.

But we can't do gear legally. lol

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
All great points, Team Savage that was some great info man. As to knowing someone in pain well there are a few that I do. My motehr died last year of bone cancer and my wife has battled Hodgkins and Thyroid. I do believe in its use for pain, however there has to be a better way to distribute the stuff. I have 4 great freinds who are all a year away from killing themselves on the ****. Ya cocain ond cigarettes are killing many. But this crap has got to be the number one killer out there next to heroin.
Yeah I have seen the effects of oxy addiction up very close, and it ain't pretty. If addicts weren't using oxy, however, most would probably be using some other opiate like morphine, Dilaudid, or heroin. At least oxy is safer than heroin use because oxy doesn't have impurities or variable potency. The latter is probably the #1 cause of overdoses, as junkies often OD when a previously weak supplier gives them much stronger stuff.

The FDA has really been cracking down lately on MDs that prescribe lots of pain meds, to the point where many docs are afraid to prescribe them even to legitimate pain patients. Unfortunately, this means some people who really need oxy get Vicodin, and people who should be getting Vicodin get codeine (or nothing).

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
All I know is that my best friend's Dad has a major oxy problem. He take's the the highest mg ones they make (I think it's like 150mg's) the one thats "extended release" so it's not supposed to hit your system all at once, but he grinds them up and snorts them so he gets the FULL 150MG'S AT ONCE. His doctor says that a dose that high would kill most people, but I guess his tolerance is super high from an escalating addiction. It's pretty sad man. His abuse has really taken it's toll on the whole family. Fortunately I heard he finally checked himself into NA and they convinced him that just because he gets a crooked doc to write him a script doesnt mean the way he's taking it is a good idea. My ex-GF didnt experience any relief from low dose ORAL adminisration, so I suspect it's the snorting and/or injecting of oxy thats causing the most problems.
I'm a former addict myself. The night I snorted four 80mg contins in one snort m (320mg at once) I made it my mission to quit. It wasn't easy, but thanks to some great doctors and Suboxone, I get a second chance. I intend on making this second chance count. Oxy addiction is not fun, and my prayers go out to all those still fighting the battle.

Yeah I have seen the effects of oxy addiction up very close, and it ain't pretty. If addicts weren't using oxy, however, most would probably be using some other opiate like morphine, Dilaudid, or heroin. At least oxy is safer than heroin use because oxy doesn't have impurities or variable potency. The latter is probably the #1 cause of overdoses, as junkies often OD when a previously weak supplier gives them much stronger stuff.

The FDA has really been cracking down lately on MDs that prescribe lots of pain meds, to the point where many docs are afraid to prescribe them even to legitimate pain patients. Unfortunately, this means some people who really need oxy get Vicodin, and people who should be getting Vicodin get codeine (or nothing).
Oxy is Heroin, molecularly speaking. Its only a few molecules off. Its a synthetic, but as close as it gets to the real thing. The highs are almost identical, only heroin is much more intense. Believe me, I found out the hard way; as I do most things in life.

As became more and more consumed by this compound, I found that tar was much cheaper and produced a better high. In town, oxy costs about a full days work minimum wage. Tar will set you back a large pizza. So what do you think most addicts who depend on this stuff to function do? Right ... and that's what I do as well. Its not something I'm proud of. It took my life away from me. I was lucky enough to realize this before it was to late. So I'm here to say to anyone thinking about trying this drug, don't. What started out being fun for me quickly turned into a need; a necessity. And I was the guy who always said it wouldn't happen to me.

To those thinking its to late, those already caught up in the mess, there's hope. Talk to your doctors about Suboxone. It saved my life. It truly works. You have to want it though; you have to truly want the change or you'll stay right where you are -- no where.

From the heart,
Sprt

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Im glad to hear you were able to turn it around in time Sprt.
Im for sure going to mention suboxone to my friend. His dad might allready be aware of it's existance, I dont know. But it sounds like he's finally acknowledged that it's hurting him and everyone who cares about him, so maybe we can convince him that he can turn it around too.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Sprt - Glad to hear that you made it out. It's tough, but you should be proud. Suboxone really is a miracle drug.

And you're also right that, neurochemically speaking, oxycodone and heroin are almost identical. I say heroin is more dangerous because of its variable potency. You always know what you're getting with an Oxy 80. With a bag of heroin, you never know what you're getting, which makes it much easier to OD.

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
Sprt - Glad to hear that you made it out. It's tough, but you should be proud. Suboxone really is a miracle drug.

And you're also right that, neurochemically speaking, oxycodone and heroin are almost identical. I say heroin is more dangerous because of its variable potency. You always know what you're getting with an Oxy 80. With a bag of heroin, you never know what you're getting, which makes it much easier to OD.
Very true ... good point man.
Sprt

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
it costs you an entire days work to get oxy?
Glad you got over that **** bro, thats a lot of money

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I really thought this would be a thread about; Why the FDA allows certain helpful drugs to be distributed and then, actually surpresses the distribution of other helpful drugs. Anybody can get hooked on anything, its just a matter of conditioning. It is possible to stimulate any receptor, through peptide bonding. The addictiveness of any substance derives it power from your brain.

Should brains be regulated by the FDA?

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
it costs you an entire days work to get oxy?
Glad you got over that **** bro, thats a lot of money
LOL! Not me ... I was simple giving examples of what it costs here in town without actually giving numerical prices. At the time, It didnt cost me anything. Cant say why or how ... so we'll leave it at that.

Sprt

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Nice to see you recover form the drug Sprt. My little brother came down when he got arrested. He was locked in his cell and said it was like hell week. But he didnt give in and let them know he was coming down from anything. Just dealt with it. Great job on recovery