Lactose Intolerance *$&#@ ! - AnabolicMinds.com

Lactose Intolerance *$&#@ !

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Lactose Intolerance *$&#@ !

I would love to hear from my fellow Lactose intolerant lifters.

For years I have dealt with this Lactose intolerance thing. I have pretty much used Lactaid with any meal in which I desired dairy – and made ends meet. But I’ve really become agitated lately with my mundane diet and supplements, so I am trying to Change it up.
    Example - Recently I ordered the ‘ISS Amino Power 2200’ and realized I can’t take this stuff. When I take only 2 tabs, I develop the ‘watery fudge factory’.

Here are my questions:

Is your intolerance Mild, Moderate or Severe?

What is your preferred Protein Shake ?

Where do you get the most of your proteins from ?

Do you have a good ‘stabilizing’ meal that helps your stomach throughout the day?

Happy Training !

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Yea it sucks, I found out the hard way that I was intolerate. I was taking some weight gainer 3600 and mixing it with milk. My gawd, explosive u know what haha. Can you eat yogurt, I've been eating yogurt and my intolerance has gotten a little better. No way I can mix anything with regular milk tho. There's always lactaid milk.

mild-severe, depends on the dairy product.
    I can eat cheese on pizza ok. Milk mixed with anything, look out!

still trying various brands out, micell edge right now, vpx before that.
    I mix them with water tho.

chicken/turkey

Do you have a good ‘stabilizing’ meal that helps your stomach throughout the day?
    Not sure what that means, I eat 5-6 times a day
    But try having yogurt, see if that helps the intolerance.
  3. Advanced Member

You can buy lactose removed milk. Walmart sell the Lactaid brand and the Dairy Ease brand.

For protein stick with the Whey Protein Isolate...most of the lactose is removed. The best protein I've ever used with complete no problem digestion actually contained a digestive enzyme and zero lactose. It was the isolate made by Kaizen.

A board sponsor sells this brand, see: Kaizen - Supplements at Best Price Nutrition
    •   

4. New Member

I'm not lactose intolerant, I'm actually allergic to the milk protein (intolerant = digestive problems; allergic = immune system reaction). I get most of my protein from canned chicken and tuna. It's expensive as hell and not very tasty. I also use egg protein powder on occasion but that doesn't taste very good either.

I would be extremely grateful if anybody knows of a dairy-free MRP that isn't completely soy-based.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Yeah, about the ‘stabilizing meal’ reference. What I mean is – a meal that keeps you GAS FREE and feeling very ‘digestively secure.’ When I get the s**ts from dairy, my stomach is uneasy for hours. . .

I have used Muscle Milk for quite some time. And to make sure I don’t consume all of the wonderful fats that Muscle Milk has to offer I actually mix MM with Evopro. So I have very lean high protein shakes – Lactose Free.

Clif Builder bars only have 20 g of protein, but it’s a semi-solid snack to take with aminos before lifting.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by m4gnum
    I would be extremely grateful if anybody knows of a dairy-free MRP that isn't completely soy-based.

I’m sorry – what is that acronym for ?

Meal replacement product (SHAKE?)
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by designgray
    I’m sorry – what is that acronym for ?

Meal replacement product (SHAKE?)
    Yeah, I meant it as meal replacement product. Shake or bar.
  8. New Member

i have a mild case and some protein powders i just cant take. what i take now and swear by it is cytogainer. it work great and is 98% lactose free. same with muscle milk. try them, they are great products and you'll be able to digest. i do mix mine with water and it mixes perfectly.
  9. New Member

I feel your pain. I've been having trouble with milk for years. Its weird though. I can eat all the pizza I want, cheese no problem, but milk-look out (but mostly just gas and bloating) and even lactaid does'nt help much. I can also drink those frappuccino coffee drinks, but I can't take whey protein. I think because its made from milk casein. Maybe I'm allergic to something in the milk.
    I've done some research on it, but still don't know (I'm studying nursing). I guess the only way to find out is go to the doctor and get some tests, but I can't afford that right now. I just wish there was more weight gainers besides soy or egg we can use.
  10. Board Supporter

Here are my questions:

Severe. anything more than 2 slices of cheese gives me problems, I cant do soy at all and I have to take lactaid pills to eat yogurt.

ON 100% Whey. contains Lactase and I have no discomfort with it.

chicken fish beef

Its not quite as bad if i have something in my stomach but its still a pain in the ass.

I haven't found a bar that works for me yet but as far as powders go, I have zero discomfort with ON %100 Whey, its tastes good, board sponsers carry it and its cheap. Give it a try
  11. New Member

I guess my level of lactose intolerance would be mild-severe.
    I can eat cheese, to a point, a couple pieces of pizza is the limit.
    Milk or ice cream feels like a chain saw running in my gut.

Yogurt is definitely a 'stabilizing' food. Don't think every yogurt is going to be okay, and "frozen yogurt" is bad...reallllly bad.

As a rule of thumb, the nutritional information on the back of the yogurt container should read "contains active/live yogurt cultures" acidophulus is also a plus (though not necessary).

Any and all whey protein I've tried KILLS me! Even the ones that say 100% lactose free... I'm not sure why that is...

I personally use Egg White Protein shakes. Other than that, I eat a lot of meat, fish, eggs, peanut butter, walnuts...you name it.
  12. New Member

nevermind
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Recent Lactose intolerance.
    By somewhatgifted in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 05:57 AM
  3. Lactose intolerance
    By Snuggles in forum Nutrition / Health