Next best thing to brown rice

M

mitch911

Awards
what can be used instead of brown rice in terms of rice, basmatti?, parboiled plain rice? ive read places that basmatti actually has a lower gi than brown, but others say that it is the same as white rice.
Thanks

8pack

8pack

Awards
I agree it can be frustrating to see conflicting pieces of information. If you look at one table like the monolithic Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load which has almost 100 entries for rice or google rice GI, you get a LOT of info. It looks like pretty consistently parboiled rice (converted rice) is a pretty safe bet (these can also be cheap, available, and quick cooking).

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I have used Texmati brand basmati for the past few years and it has a nice even burn...no spikes!, not that I don't enjoy the occational insulin rush!!!

canadianrookie

canadianrookie

Awards
By paraboiled (converted) do you guys mean the minute rice veriety?

8pack

8pack

Awards
By paraboiled (converted) do you guys mean the minute rice veriety?
this Uncle Ben's ORIGINAL CONVERTED Brand Rice - Cook Brown & Wild Rice With Cheese & Vegetables or this Uncle Ben's Original Brown Rice - Brown Rice Recipes, Cook Basmati Whole Grain White Rice both do the trick. The first is specifically listed in the previously mentioned GI table. Minute rice is out I think. In both cases they are precooked and that heating/cooling converts the starches into slower digesting ones. With minute rice, though, they more thoroughly cook it so you do less work later, it seems like it would be too easy to overcook and then you are back to high GI.

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
Hmm...what about meduim grain white rice and a rice cooker??

M

mitch911

Awards
just cooked the uncle bens original brown long grain rice in the rice cooker... turned out awesome much better than the brand of brown rice i was trying to cook before..(Dainty)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
whole wheat pasta. it has protein and fiber, no fat.

(((A^T^R)))

(((A^T^R)))

Banned
Awards
Worrying about GI over good carb sources = waste of time

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How do you define a good carb source without regard to the GI?

R

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I think someone mentioned this before in earlier thread..but what about jasmine. I love the stuff.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
How do you define a good carb source without regard to the GI?
This is just what I use and I should ware you that I tend to have a strong prejudice against processed foods, there is nothing very scientific in this:

Almost anything whole grain usually does the trick. The simplest method for picking good carb source is to pick the LEAST processed food. Whole grains verses processed or white, i.e. 100% whole wheat bread or regular brown rice, parboiled brown rice even, and so on.

Another a good rule of thumb the more someone has to muck with something the less likely that its good for you. This goes for most everything with a few exception but esp with carbs.

Should also be a source of protein. For instance, Cream of Wheat will have 25 grams of carbs and 3 grams of protein and a gram of fiber. While that may not seam like a lot of protein it does add up and the fact that it still in there suggest that the food has not been processed to death.

If it meets the above criteria I really could give a rat’s ass what the GI is on it, it’s still probably good for me.

JM2C

(((A^T^R)))

(((A^T^R)))

Banned
Awards
This is just what I use and I should ware you that I tend to have a strong prejudice against processed foods, there is nothing very scientific in this:

Almost anything whole grain usually does the trick. The simplest method for picking good carb source is to pick the LEAST processed food. Whole grains verses processed or white, i.e. 100% whole wheat bread or regular brown rice, parboiled brown rice even, and so on.

Another a good rule of thumb the more someone has to muck with something the less likely that its good for you. This goes for most everything with a few exception but esp with carbs.

Should also be a source of protein. For instance, Cream of Wheat will have 25 grams of carbs and 3 grams of protein and a gram of fiber. While that may not seam like a lot of protein it does add up and the fact that it still in there suggest that the food has not been processed to death.

If it meets the above criteria I really could give a rat’s ass what the GI is on it, it’s still probably good for me.

JM2C

exactly..

Thank you

I'd rep you if I had any power.