frozen pre grilled chicken breasts?

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Ok, so I am like everyone and pretty much spend way too much time grilling food. A couple weeks ago I came across frozen pre grilled chicken breasts. hmph. I know, most likely its probably as good as a T.V dinner, but I have fresh brown rice that I eat with it, usuall between .5-2 cups. Is this miracle food as bad as I am thinking because of all the preservatives and artificial crap that im sure its pumped with. How bad is all that stuff for you, more importantly how is it bad for you? Do you guys think its worth it? or should I spend an hour out on the grill with the real chicken breats (I figure if I buy a pack thats frozen anyways its already gotta have some sort of preservatives?)

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
Preservatives = Sodium
Sodium = Retains Water

Frozen (or Processed Meats) don't have nearly as many nutrients.

So in short...

Frozen/Processed = More Sodium + Less Nutrients

You can probably:

- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller/thinner pieces to cook faster.
- Try stir fry? Takes about 5-10min.
- Grill extra chicken breasts and save them for later days.
- Grill fish instead, they seem to cook much faster.

Personally, if its not dinner I just make a protien shake.

p.s. If you plan on sticking w/ frozen chicken just increase h2o intake + protien shake.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Three words:

George... Foreman... Grill.

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Three words:

George... Foreman... Grill.
ooh man, george foreman grill nearly killed me, I got salmonella, or however its spelt from that. that ended my chicken indulging for a long time. Good thought tho!

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Preservatives = Sodium
Sodium = Retains Water

Frozen (or Processed Meats) don't have nearly as many nutrients.

So in short...

Frozen/Processed = More Sodium + Less Nutrients

You can probably:

- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller/thinner pieces to cook faster.
- Try stir fry? Takes about 5-10min.
- Grill extra chicken breasts and save them for later days.
- Grill fish instead, they seem to cook much faster.

Personally, if its not dinner I just make a protien shake.

p.s. If you plan on sticking w/ frozen chicken just increase h2o intake + protien shake.
Wow, you answered my question to the T. Thank you very much, I am going to stick w/ it and do the h20 and protein shake. My previous diet drove me insane literally i would be out grilling stuff till 2am. things got so bad I pretty much gave up on lifting, well that is for about 6 weeks lol

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Wow, you answered my question to the T. Thank you very much, I am going to stick w/ it and do the h20 and protein shake. My previous diet drove me insane literally i would be out grilling stuff till 2am. things got so bad I pretty much gave up on lifting, well that is for about 6 weeks lol
Why not just cook 1/2 dozen-dozen at a time, throw the rest inthe fridge/freezer and make your own frozen chicken breasts? Less sodium more nutrients. And the george foreman grill rocks and could not be blamed for food poisoning, afterall you ate it!

mwkcronin

Awards
What I do is buy the 10 lb bags of frozen chicken breasts. Use a large bowel(microwave safe), and add water over the chicken. Cover with a large plate, and leave an opening steam ventilation.

This not only gets rid of the fat, but also the sodium as well. After cooked, rinse the chicken one more time with water. Really tastes great, and is much cheaper than buying the packaged chicken at the supermarket.

Use a casein based protein shake prior to bed. Then have a whey protein shake during the night. You will always be in an anabolic state!! Mike

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I would stay away from those. I used to keep them in the house in case of an emergency or in case something happened I had a quick fix for something to eat, but I won't buy t hem anymore. Too many chemicals and it's just not as highly bioavailable. Plus that stuff will KILL your digestive tract.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Get fresh chicken breast and try getting Newmans Low Fat no carb Romano dressing. Add 2-3 packets of equal or stevia (BETTER) marinate the chicken in it and bake it! It's freaking AWESOME and saves time.

size

Awards
  • Established
AS mentioned already, it is probably very high in sodium and preservatives which I believe are best to stay away from. I would suggest simply buying raw chicken and baking or grilling. 1 hour of cooking can easily provide enough chicken for the week.

mwkcronin

Awards
Great responses by the way you all. Just want to add that each 4oz breast has 250 grams of sodium. With the rinsing and cooking method this certainly goes down quite a bit.

Also there are no preservatives at all! I agree with what has been stated, so would you all still be leary? Thanks Mike

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
AS mentioned already, it is probably very high in sodium and preservatives which I believe are best to stay away from. I would suggest simply buying raw chicken and baking or grilling. 1 hour of cooking can easily provide enough chicken for the week.
Exactly. When cooking anything, Chicken,Groats,Whole wheat pasta, etc... Always cook in bulk. The lower rack of a BBQ grill should do it. Grill and flip. Chuck the extra in the tupperware.

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
wow man. Great input guys, I didnt expect this nice of a reaction. I am really anxious to try the whole microwave thing. I would grill, but with school and everything I get sick of being up at 2am cooking fish chicken etc. So for the microwave how much water do you put in, and how much do you have to drain at the end?

mwkcronin

Awards
Fill the water up past the chicken to cook it. Be sure not to overcook, be on the safe side until you have the time down.

I just rinse the water used to cook the chicken, and then add more tapwater. Rinse the new water added, and your should be good to go.

Personally the BB sauce used on the chicken is from Walden Farms, and has zero carbs or sugar. Could be found by typing in the brand name WF's into Google. Mike

TheCSWFighter

Awards
When I cook chicken for the next few days I do it all sorts of ways. I'll load up two cookie sheets with tin foil and chicken breasts. I'll get the george foreman going from time to time (but sometimes it makes the chicken a rubbery feel). I put some in a pan and cook it on the stove and will even load up a crock pot and put some chicken broth or something of the sort with it and then slow cook it so it is very moist and falls apart easily. Then I'll keep some for the next few days in the fridge and the others I'll refreeze to just microwave later like my own pregrilled chicken breasts. Doesn't take even an hour to make 40 chicken breasts.

TheCSWFighter

Awards
Not to mention I will also take some chicken and cut it up, brown it a bit in a pan on a stove and then mix it with brown rice and almonds, beans, etc. Or chop up a bunch of lettuce and put that, the chicken, some olive oil and vinegar into a bowl with a plastic lid and shake it so it mixes well.

sponger246

Awards
What about the plain frozen chicken breast in bag that you can buy at a bulk discount store?

sponger246

Awards
I acctualy went and bought me a bag of Perdue Ready to Cook chicken breasts. Very low in sodium. Only 9% on the daily recomended intake (but thats based on a 2000 cal/day diet)

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
My fridge contains about a few items,

Chicken fills the freezer. Can not go wrong with the frozen bags of breasts.

Pull out like 2 days worth and throw them on the grill, premake all your meals for two days and you only have to cook 3 days a week. Pefect.

Oh ya do the eggs and rice the same way.

moflika

Awards
I acctualy went and bought me a bag of Perdue Ready to Cook chicken breasts. Very low in sodium. Only 9% on the daily recomended intake (but thats based on a 2000 cal/day diet)
YES! I've got 3 bags in my freezer right now.

I thought cooking was going to suck when I moved out of the dorms, but when you have a rice cooker and a Foreman grill cooking becomes a timed art.

How long does brown rice last after you cook it? I've always wanted to cook a bunch, but I worry about it getting too hard. I usually cook about 2 days worth at a time.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Ya same here, two days is plenty to cook. If you try to make chicken last three days cooked it turns into sawdust. When I was in the service I would microwave everything. Simply just throw some chicken in the microwave with some peas and boil some rice. My buddies thought I had issues. Boiled chicken df. isnt that tasty.

Sting25

Awards
I cook a few dozen at a time on the grill chop them and Seal them with a FoodSaver Vacuum Packaging machine (let them cool a bit first) then freeze. makes for very quick good food while running around durring the day. To some of the packages I add a cub of cooked brown rice. Works great!