Spicy Food Could Provide Compound to Fight Cancers

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Spicy Food Could Provide Compound to Fight Cancers ; News

The Independent - London

01-11-07

The compound that makes spicy food hot and generates the heat in muscle strain remedies could be the key to a new generation of cancer drugs that kill tumours with no side effects, a leading scientist has said.

Capsaicin, the active component of chillies, has produced "startling" results in tests to kill a variety of tumour cells including pancreatic cancer, one of the most difficult types of the disease to treat.

Dr Timothy Bates, who led the research at Nottingham University, said his team have discovered a potential Achilles' heel for all cancers because capsaicin targets the "powerhouse", or energy source, of tumour cells. The discovery could lead to the production of drugs to cure a variety of cancers at a fraction of the [pound]410m cost of developing conventional medicines, as capsaicin is already consumed daily by millions of people. Capsaicin is also commonly used as an active ingredient in muscle rub creams and the treatments for psoriasis.

Dr Bates said: "This is exciting and may explain why people living in countries like Mexico and India, who traditionally eat a diet which is very spicy, tend to have lower incidences of many cancers that are prevalent in the West. We appear to have discovered a fundamental weakness with all cancer cells."

HairyLarry35

Awards
I saw this on BBC the other day. I believe the "power house" is refering to the mitochondria of the cancer cell. This is extremely exciting stuff! Since cancer cells demand such high nutrient/energy stores to rapidly multiply, stopping the main source of the cell is going to be a revolutionary concept with cap. I can't wait for this to hit phase III clinical trials.

Keep the good stuff roling, yeahright!

HL

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I saw this on BBC the other day. I believe the "power house" is refering to the mitochondria of the cancer cell. This is extremely exciting stuff! Since cancer cells demand such high nutrient/energy stores to rapidly multiply, stopping the main source of the cell is going to be a revolutionary concept with cap. I can't wait for this to hit phase III clinical trials.

Keep the good stuff roling, yeahright!

HL
Any explanation for how it interferes with cancer cell mitochondria and not normal cell mitochondria?

HairyLarry35

Awards
Here is the link with the info I read. Since I work at one of the best cancer centers in the world (MSKCC), I'm sure this will be all-the-buzz at work on Monday. Check it out:

BBC NEWS | Health | Pepper 'kills prostate cancer'

HL

EDIT: this section sheds some light-

"Normal cells go through a constant process where millions die every second - a process called apoptosis - while millions more are made, to keep the numbers the same.

But cancer cells avoid that process and "dodge" apoptosis by mutating or deregulating the genes that participate in programmed cell suicide.

Capsaicin was seen to increase the amount of certain proteins involved in the apoptosis process.

Capsaicin also reduced the amount of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), a protein whch is often produced in high quantities by prostate tumours. "

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Here is the link with the info I read. Since I work at one of the best cancer centers in the world (MSKCC), I'm sure this will be all-the-buzz at work on Monday. Check it out:

BBC NEWS | Health | Pepper 'kills prostate cancer'

HL

EDIT: this section sheds some light-

"Normal cells go through a constant process where millions die every second - a process called apoptosis - while millions more are made, to keep the numbers the same.

But cancer cells avoid that process and "dodge" apoptosis by mutating or deregulating the genes that participate in programmed cell suicide.

Capsaicin was seen to increase the amount of certain proteins involved in the apoptosis process.

Capsaicin also reduced the amount of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), a protein whch is often produced in high quantities by prostate tumours. "
Yes , The capsacin "speeds up" the life cycle of the cancer cell, meaning the cancer cells die quicker. However that process in itself does not mean a "cure" The source of the cancer is not affected by this process.

Ofcourse, an alopathic approach would define that(cell death) as a cure, where as a holiopathic approach cures from the source.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spicy Food Could Provide Compound to Fight Cancers ; News

The Independent - London

01-11-07

The compound that makes spicy food hot and generates the heat in muscle strain remedies could be the key to a new generation of cancer drugs that kill tumours with no side effects, a leading scientist has said.

Capsaicin, the active component of chillies, has produced "startling" results in tests to kill a variety of tumour cells including pancreatic cancer, one of the most difficult types of the disease to treat.

Dr Timothy Bates, who led the research at Nottingham University, said his team have discovered a potential Achilles' heel for all cancers because capsaicin targets the "powerhouse", or energy source, of tumour cells. The discovery could lead to the production of drugs to cure a variety of cancers at a fraction of the [pound]410m cost of developing conventional medicines, as capsaicin is already consumed daily by millions of people. Capsaicin is also commonly used as an active ingredient in muscle rub creams and the treatments for psoriasis.

Dr Bates said: "This is exciting and may explain why people living in countries like Mexico and India, who traditionally eat a diet which is very spicy, tend to have lower incidences of many cancers that are prevalent in the West. We appear to have discovered a fundamental weakness with all cancer cells."
Just one more reason keep shoveling down my favorite chicken wings!!!! :woohoo:

Adams

imprezzion

Awards
1: Cancer Research. 2006 Mar 15;66(6):3222-9.

Mori A, Lehmann S, O'Kelly J, Kumagai T, Desmond JC, Pervan M, McBride WH, Kizaki M, Koeffler HP.
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, CA 90048, USA.

Capsaicin is the major pungent ingredient in red peppers. Here, we report that it has a profound antiproliferative effect on prostate cancer cells, inducing the apoptosis of both androgen receptor (AR)-positive (LNCaP) and -negative (PC-3, DU-145) prostate cancer cell lines associated with an increase of p53, p21, and Bax. Capsaicin down-regulated the expression of not only prostate-specific antigen (PSA) but also AR. Promoter assays showed that capsaicin inhibited the ability of dihydrotestosterone to activate the PSA promoter/enhancer even in the presence of exogenous AR in LNCaP cells, suggesting that capsaicin inhibited the transcription of PSA not only via down-regulation of expression of AR, but also by a direct inhibitory effect on PSA transcription. Capsaicin inhibited NF-kappa activation by preventing its nuclear migration. In further studies, capsaicin inhibited tumor necrosis factor-alpha-stimulated degradation of IkappaBalpha in PC-3 cells, which was associated with the inhibition of proteasome activity. Taken together, capsaicin inhibits proteasome activity which suppressed the degradation of IkappaBalpha, preventing the activation of NF-kappaB. Capsaicin, when given orally, significantly slowed the growth of PC-3 prostate cancer xenografts as measured by size [75 +/- 35 versus 336 +/- 123 mm(3) (+/-SD); P = 0.017] and weight [203 +/- 41 versus 373 +/- 52 mg (+/-SD); P = 0.0006; capsaicin-treated versus vehicle-treated mice, respectively]. In summary, our data suggests that capsaicin, or a related analogue, may have a role in the management of prostate cancer.

PMID: 16540674 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
its nice to know all that cajun food i eat is good for something besides a heartattack.

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
6 and 8 Gingerol found in Ginger have the ability to selectively target specific cells for programed apoptosis. I did an episode of Super Human Radio on the benefits of Ginger and one very profound benefit is its chemo protective and anti-tumor effects.

You can listen to the episode here - :: Super Human Radio ::

Like hot pepper, gingerol has a thermogenic effect and has been shown in one study to increase energy expenditure and oxygen consumption by as much as 21%.

It has been shown in 2 studies to shrink and eliminate tumors as well as protect against their formation.

The pharmaceutical industry is already synthesizing 6-gingerol specifically for cancer treatment. One lab in Canada has successfully introduced a synthetic gingerol and it is available at $25 a milligram with average therapeutic doses being around 150mg - 300mg per day.

We all can benefit from adding ginger to our diet as it has other ergogenic and anti-inflammatory benefits as well.

imprezzion

Awards
6 and 8 Gingerol found in Ginger have the ability to selectively target specific cells for programed apoptosis. I did an episode of Super Human Radio on the benefits of Ginger and one very profound benefit is its chemo protective and anti-tumor effects.

You can listen to the episode here - :: Super Human Radio ::

Like hot pepper, gingerol has a thermogenic effect and has been shown in one study to increase energy expenditure and oxygen consumption by as much as 21%.

It has been shown in 2 studies to shrink and eliminate tumors as well as protect against their formation.

The pharmaceutical industry is already synthesizing 6-gingerol specifically for cancer treatment. One lab in Canada has successfully introduced a synthetic gingerol and it is available at $25 a milligram with average therapeutic doses being around 150mg - 300mg per day.

We all can benefit from adding ginger to our diet as it has other ergogenic and anti-inflammatory benefits as well.
Nice posting.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Nov 12; [Epub ahead of print]

FULL TEXT

Cancer preventive properties of ginger: A brief review.Shukla Y, Singh M.
Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, P.O. Box 80, M.G. Marg, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India.

Ginger, the rhizome of Zingiber officinalis, one of the most widely used species of the ginger family, is a common condiment for various foods and beverages. Ginger has a long history of medicinal use dating back 2500 years. Ginger has been traditionally used from time immemorial for varied human ailments in different parts of the globe, to aid digestion and treat stomach upset, diarrhoea, and nausea. Some pungent constituents present in ginger and other zingiberaceous plants have potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities, and some of them exhibit cancer preventive activity in experimental carcinogenesis. The anticancer properties of ginger are attributed to the presence of certain pungent vallinoids, viz. [6]-gingerol and [6]-paradol, as well as some other constituents like shogaols, zingerone etc. A number of mechanisms that may be involved in the chemopreventive effects of ginger and its components have been reported from the laboratory studies in a wide range of experimental models.

PMID: 17175086 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]