Someone help me, Please Critique my diet.

Fun2Train

Awards
I originally posted this is the bulking sections because Im currently on a bulking diet but then realized I might should have posted this here in nutrition. so here it is.

Ok, I been training for years but just recently got serious. I know by body pretty well in the gym and I know how my muscles repsond to workouts. The problem is until recently I didnt realize how much more important it was to eat correctly to really get those mass gains. I thought I was eating good but after much research I found I was not at all eating enough. Now let me start by saying I have super slow metabolism, and Im slight Hypoglycemic where my body produces a bit to much insulin so I have to intake a bit more sugar then a normal person, usually orange juice. I started a on good solid bulk diet a month ago and eating about 250g of protein and consuming about 4000 calories a day. I was 214lb and in 4 weeks Im up to 221 pounds. My body fat % has increased from 16% to 17% , so i figure at least 3-4 pounds of that is fat and water if not more. Here is a sample of my daily diet. This is what I ate yesterday and it is about the same each day.

9am Wake up
9:15 am eat cup hot oatmeal with 8 oz orange juice, 8oz milk with protein

9:30 drink coffee, Im trying to quit but its hard

10:30 8oz milk with protein scoop, 25g

11:00 Workout for 1 hour

12:00pm post workout shake 25g protein, and serving of frozen lasagna, 330 calories, 19g protein.

2:30pm 8oz milk 25g protein shake

3:00pm the rest of my lasagna 330 calories, 19g protein

5:00 8oz milk 25g protein shake and a few chicken tenders

7:30pm cup of brown rice with chicken breast and chicken broth with a 8oz cup of milk and 25g protein shake.

9:30 8oz milk 25g protein shake

10:00 few chicken tenders

12:00 am 1 cup cottage cheese

I take a great multi vitamin and green tea and a very nice Total EFA fish oils also with creatine and nitrix.

As you can see I have a problem early in the morning , I wake up and im never hungry, I cant eat and then I end up drinking some orange juice and protein shake because I have to have some sugar or I will get the shakes from low blood suger and then a cup of coffee which kills my appetite. After my workout my appetite is usually going great and then I can eat all day. Not sure if this is clean enough foods though because I feel like I might be eating a little to much. Im not afraid of getting love handles while bulking, I understand I will have some fat gains but this is coming a little fast. But im more afraid of not getting enough calories carbs and protein to maximize my growth potential. Someone please help me It would be so very much appreciated for some tips and info, and thanks in advance.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
I started a on good solid bulk diet a month ago and eating about 250g of protein and consuming about 4000 calories a day.
At 4000 calories your protein intake should be in the 375-400 range
Now let me start by saying I have super slow metabolism,
lasagna may not be the best option

You dont have any Vegetables in your diet, you need broccoli/green beans

Way to many shakes, whole foods will build mass much faster
Concentrate on getting a solid 40/40/20 split on each meal

Fun2Train

Awards
At 4000 calories your protein intake should be in the 375-400 range

lasagna may not be the best option

You dont have any Vegetables in your diet, you need broccoli/green beans

Way to many shakes, whole foods will build mass much faster
Concentrate on getting a solid 40/40/20 split on each meal
If you could give me an example of what your daily diet consist of or maybe like some ideas of what I can do for meals to get the 40/40/20 split. It would be greatly appreciated.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
I would drop out most of your protein powder shakes and replace them with whole food sources(fish, chicken, steak, etc.) And throw in some more good carbs from whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice, green & colorful vegetables. Along with some healthy fats from nuts, Peanut butter, olive oil, flax seed, avocados, etc.
I feel you will have better results sticking with whole food sources for most of your meals. Keep the protein powder drinks for pre and post workout times.

Fun2Train

Awards
I would drop out most of your protein powder shakes and replace them with whole food sources(fish, chicken, steak, etc.) And throw in some more good carbs from whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice, green & colorful vegetables. Along with some healthy fats from nuts, Peanut butter, olive oil, flax seed, avocados, etc.
I feel you will have better results sticking with whole food sources for most of your meals. Keep the protein powder drinks for pre and post workout times.
thanks a bunch, ill will start this asap. Appreciate the info. Ill keep my protein shakes for pre and post workout only and save my muscle milk for 1 serving before bed. It shouldnt be a problem taking say 50g protein before workout and 50g post workout right? thanks again.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
thanks a bunch, ill will start this asap. Appreciate the info. Ill keep my protein shakes for pre and post workout only and save my muscle milk for 1 serving before bed. It shouldnt be a problem taking say 50g protein before workout and 50g post workout right? thanks again.
I would stick with 30-40 grams of protein and around 40-50grams of slow digesting carbs(ex. Old-fashioned Oatmeal) pre-workout. The carb will help give you energy to push through your workout. Go with around 50grams of protein and around 80-100 grams of carbs for your post-workout shake. There are mixed differences for what type of carb to use post workout, so I will let you experiment with that and see how your body responds. Most say for post workout carbs should be simple carbs(ex. white bread, rice cakes, honey, table sugar, dextrose, etc.) in order to spike insulin levels since after a hard workout your body is more likley to push those carbs into the muscles instead of being stored as fat. So you would want a quick digesting carb for this to take place strictly post-workout.
Others believe that complex carbs(whole grains, ezekiel, oatmeal, etc.) should be used for post-workout and don't believe in using simple carbs/sugars anytime not even post-workout.
Just see how your body takes things and adjust from there.