carb question about white rice...

loner

loner

Awards
i like white rice,but it's a high glycemic carb.If i ate it with meat & veggies,does it matter if it's high glycemic? being that the protein and veggies will blunt the insulin response anyways?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's an excerpt from a thread that Mullet started. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/42713-what-gi-list.html This particular section talks about Glycemic Load

Is The Glycemic Index the Only Tool To Measure Carbs?

Although the Glycemic Index is our most useful tool when discerning which carbohydrates to eat, it is not our only one. Of the other branches which apply to the 'GI' the Glycemic Load is the most useful. When you intake carbohydrates it is not only important to note what the rate of glucose conversion will be, but how much total carbohydrate you are taking in, this is where GL comes into play. Glycemic load is used to determine (with GI) what your bodies total glycemic response will be. It is measured by dividing the GI by 100 and multiplying that by the net carbs (net carbs are equal to total carbs minus dietary fibre)
(GL=GI/100 x Net Carbs)
EDIT: LOL, Just Noticed Mullet's Thread Is A Sticky!

Last edited:
madman911

madman911

Awards
There's no problem with eating white rice if that is what you prefer. As you stated, the GI is not really a big factor because the rate of glucose conversion changes considerably when you ingest the carb along with protein, fats, fiber, etc.

Some people strongly advocate against all processed carbs, but it isn't a make or break issue at all. I bet you'd see no or negligible difference in terms of fat loss or fat gain if you used brown as opposed to white rice .

i like white rice,but it's a high glycemic carb.If i ate it with meat & veggies,does it matter if it's high glycemic? being that the protein and veggies will blunt the insulin response anyways?

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
If eating white rice be sure to stick with Long Grain white rice. Also, eating carbs with protein can increase insulin response. I think you're thinking of digestion; which carbs protein/veggies would slow down.

madman911

madman911

Awards
If eating white rice be sure to stick with Long Grain white rice. Also, eating carbs with protein can increase insulin response. I think you're thinking of digestion; which carbs protein/veggies would slow down.
Studies showing an enhanced insulin response upon consumption of protein + carbs don't use whole foods. The subjects are fed hydrolysated protein or free form amino acids... big difference between the absorption of protein hydrolysate and a chicken breast or steak. Eating meat with a processed carb will blunt the insulin response.

loner

loner

Awards
Studies showing an enhanced insulin response upon consumption of protein + carbs don't use whole foods. The subjects are fed hydrolysated protein or free form amino acids... big difference between the absorption of protein hydrolysate and a chicken breast or steak. Eating meat with a processed carb will blunt the insulin response.
i was thinking that as well,because if i eat alot of rice with ,say mongolian beef or whatever meat/veggie combo..i feel fine.But if i eat rice alone i go completly bonkers from straight simple carbs and the insulin spike.It's pretty good for after a workout (rice alone) then maybe some eggs 30 minutes later,but for my other meals rice will be my staple carb.I usually don't even eat carbs,except for veggies with my meats...i had no idea what i was missing out on!

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
So your saying the body will secrete less insulin when eating a 4 oz. tenderloin of beef and a cup of rice, then with a cup of rice alone?

loner

loner

Awards
So your saying the body will secrete less insulin when eating a 4 oz. tenderloin of beef and a cup of rice, then with a cup of rice alone?
i was thinking that also because the protein and bulk of the meats would slow down the digestion of the carbs blunting the insulin response by doing so.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Yes thats true. Eating carbs on their own will make your insulin spike. If you dont eat carbs with protein as well, and do it on a regular basis, your heading for diabetes. So its always better to add some protein to every meal, whatever carbs you have.