High Fructose Corn Syrup... Not Good

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I thought this was an interesting read

High Fructose Corn Syrup: Why the World's Most Popular Sweetener is Enemy #1 to Your Health and Waistline
--------------------------------------------------

Prior to 1996, high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) was virtually non-existent in Americans' diets. When it came to sweeteners, the number one version on the market was sucrose, or table sugar. But that all changed after the invention of high-fructose corn syrup.

Made from corn starch through a complicated process, HFCS emerged as a cheaper, significantly sweeter, easy to transport and easy to use (especially in beverages, since it's a liquid) alternative to sugar.

Even supposedly "healthy" bottled teas and sports drinks are usually sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.

Today, sweeteners made from corn are the most widely used -- they account for 55 percent of the sweetener market and bring in $4.5 billion in sales each year. And consumption continues to grow. In 2001, the average American consumed almost 63 pounds of HFCS (up from zero in 1966).

In fact, between 1970 and 1990, Americans' intake of HFCS increased more than 1,000 percent - -which is far greater than changes in intake for any other food, according to an article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup is Everywhere

Soft drinks, fruit juices and other sweet beverages (including sports and energy drinks) are almost always sweetened with HFCS. In fact, HFCS is the only caloric sweetener used in soft drinks.

But, this versatile sweetener doesn't stop there. It's also in countless other products -- many that you wouldn't expect unless you read the label. These include baked goods, cookies, jams and jellies, ketchup, pasta sauce, salad dressing, bread, condiments and many others.

Why HFCS May be Worse for You Than Sugar

High-fructose corn syrup is not the same as the corn syrup you buy to make pies. Whereas regular corn syrup is all glucose, HFCS is composed of half glucose and half fructose.

Says George A. Bray, former director of Louisiana State University's Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, "Fructose is absorbed differently [than other sugars]. It doesn't register in the body metabolically the same way that glucose does."

When glucose is consumed, a set of reactions occur in the body allowing it to be used as energy, and production of leptin, a hormone that helps control appetite and fat storage, is increased. Meanwhile, ghrelin, a stomach hormone, is reduced, which is thought to help hunger go away.

Many experts agree high-fructose corn syrup, particularly in soft drinks, is at least partly responsible for America's obesity epidemic.

When fructose is consumed, however, it "appears to behave more like fat with respect to the hormones involved in body weight regulation," explains Peter Havel, associate professor of nutrition at the University of California, Davis. "Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin secretion. It doesn't increase leptin production or suppress production of ghrelin. That suggests that consuming a lot of fructose, like consuming too much fat, could contribute to weight gain."

Many experts have, in fact, suggested that HFCS, particularly those in soft drinks, are at least partly responsible for the obesity epidemic in America.

Drink a Lot of Sweet Drinks? Your Weight May be at Risk

According to an analysis of food consumption patterns from 1967 to 2000 by Bray and colleagues, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Bray said, "In examining this data, the importance of the rising intake of high-fructose corn syrup was obvious. It did not exist before 1970. From that point, there was a rapid rise in this country in its use during the late 1970s and 1980s coincidental with the epidemic of obesity." He goes on:

"Unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin production. Because insulin and leptin act as key afferent signals in the regulation of food intake and body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased energy intake and weight gain. Furthermore, calorically sweetened beverages may enhance caloric overconsumption. Thus, the increase in consumption of HFCS has a temporal relation to the epidemic of obesity, and the overconsumption of HFCS in calorically sweetened beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity."

Another study, this one by researchers at the Children's Hospital Boston, found that every additional 8-ounce soft drink in a day increased school kids' risks of being obese by 60 percent.

More Than Just Weight Gain

Along with helping Americans pack on more pounds, HFCS has been linked to other health problems, including:

Increased levels of triglycerides, which is linked to an increased risk of heart disease. A study by the University of Minnesota found that fructose "produced significantly higher [blood] levels" of triglycerides in men than did glucose.

Accelerated bone loss. A study by the USDA, published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, found that fructose may alter the body's balance of magnesium, leading to increased bone loss.

A review of multiple studies by Havel and colleagues, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that, in animals, consuming large amounts of HFCS:

Induced insulin resistance
Impaired glucose tolerance
Produced high levels of insulin
Boosted a dangerous fat in the blood
Caused high blood pressure
If You Want to Give Up HFCS ...

The first thing to do is to give up all soft drinks and other sweetened beverages that contain it. Then start checking labels meticulously. Even products that aren't thought of as "sweet' often contain it (like croutons and flavored almond slices for salads).

Fortunately, as more and more consumers opt to stay away from HFCS, there are product alternatives out there. Organic pasta sauce and ketchup, for instance, are much less likely to contain HFCS than regular varieties. Look for them at your favorite health food store or even in the "natural" section of your local grocery store.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Good post. I try to avoid HFCS like the plague.

I've seen other articles about it's link to type 2 diabetes, and stating that diabetes was very rare before HFCS was introduced in the 60s. Now look where it's at.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I try to avoid it at all costs as well, but damn... it's freaking everywhere!! You can't even buy multigrain bread from a regular grocery store without it added

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
If you have a Trader Joes near you, their foods are almost all devoid of HFCS. Some of their sauces have it in it, but not for long as they intend to phase it out by June of this year.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'm not as much of a HFCS hater as I used to be.

Why HFCS May be Worse for You Than Sugar

High-fructose corn syrup is not the same as the corn syrup you buy to make pies. Whereas regular corn syrup is all glucose, HFCS is composed of half glucose and half fructose.
I don't get it. :think: Sucrose (table sugar) is also half glucose, half fructose. HFCS is just cheaper for Americans 'cause we grow a **** ton of corn.

Of course, I don't drink soda at all, and I don't have a huge sweet tooth. I probably wouldn't go over 30-40g total fructose in a day consistantly, which after a couple pieces of fruit, still leaves room for some sweets if you desire (especially around your workout).

IMO, multiple cans of soda a day are obviously a big problem for a large % of our population, but I really doubt that small amounts of HFCS in condiments and bread are making a difference.

In my eyes it's just a dense source of calories that is nutrient sparse. So it shouldn't be a large part of your diet, but it ain't gonna kill you either. Hydrogenated oils a much bigger enemy to me, although I'm lazy so I eat those too sometimes (see other thread :D ).

Where's AA when we need him?

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I'm not as much of a HFCS hater as I used to be.

I don't get it. :think: Sucrose (table sugar) is also half glucose, half fructose. HFCS is just cheaper for Americans 'cause we grow a **** ton of corn.

Of course, I don't drink soda at all, and I don't have a huge sweet tooth. I probably wouldn't go over 30-40g total fructose in a day consistantly, which after a couple pieces of fruit, still leaves room for some sweets if you desire (especially around your workout).

IMO, multiple cans of soda a day are obviously a big problem for a large % of our population, but I really doubt that small amounts of HFCS in condiments and bread are making a difference.

In my eyes it's just a dense source of calories that is nutrient sparse. So it shouldn't be a large part of your diet, but it ain't gonna kill you either. Hydrogenated oils a much bigger enemy to me, although I'm lazy so I eat those too sometimes (see other thread :D ).

Where's AA when we need him?
This is true. HFCS is identical to sucrose, or table sugar, or a 1:1 ratio of fructose & glucose. Chances are, unless you're tanking down a nice amount soft drinks & sugary desserts like American pre-teens whose favorite sport is the X-Box, you're just not gonna be consuming enough of it to cause yourself any concern. Typical bodybuilders/fitness enthusiasts have zip to worry about given the food choices they normally make. It's just sugar, the body recognizes it just fine, and puts it to use according to the homeostatic demand at the time of intake. Don't forget that fruits are mostly sucrose as well, and they have an amazingly good track record in research examining potential foods that lower disease risk. Whether sugar is good or bad really depends on a number of things: Is the total amount predominating your carb intake? Is it contributing to a surplus of calories that you're not using? ...Stuff like that.

Happy holidays, & don't forget to eat your dessert :p

lifthardheavy

Awards
I don't know about the cause & effect of HFCS and obesity. During that time a lot of other things happened. Fat intake increased. People ate more calories. People became less active.

I think people make things more complicated than they need to. Just eat less than your body uses and you won't get fat. A 175 pound person who eats 1500 calories per day of HFCS and nothing else can never become obese. If that same person ate 4500 calories from fruits and vegetables, they'd be a lardass.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I think that the more tuned(glucose tolerance wise) your body is at handleing sugar input, the more likely you are to avoid negative side effects(obesity & diabetes) Most BB types that reead this forum could safely use HFCS, with minimal consern.

However, Many people(BBs included) have an allergy to corn.
Most of the USAs corn supply is contaminated with some form of mold. This mold can cause many adverse allergic recations, bloating, cramping, indigetion. The more "corn mold" sensative people have full blown allergic reactions, which dump inflammitory hormones into your blood stream(histamines) The metabolism of these hormones is what stresses your bodies immune system. So these "corn mold" sensative people feel sick.

The insulin dump, which can boost a post workpout recovery in a trained athlete(natural IGF) that follows ingesting sugar(in any form) can fatigue a sedendary person though the continual processing of glucose in the blood. When this glucose/ insulin imbalance becomes the normal state(homeostasis) that person becomes diabetic. Now they have to make a change or they will see and feel their health spiral downward.

The diabetic has to control their diet with impeccability, which is what we do as trained athletes. So a little high fructose corn syrup might not kill you, but it can make you work harder to maintain your health!!!- good luck! Happy Holidays!(pc)

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i hate/love sugar. damnt

when it comes to sugar, i am like a crack addict. I can sit and eat it till i am sick. Literally. My GF will cook a tray of brownies and i will continue to eat them until she takes them away.

Simple sugars are my achilles tendon. I can stay away from fast food, alcohol, soda...but sweets just take control. Especially late at night?

I have tried numerous approaches to killing the late night hogjaw. Eating before bed, not eating before bed, drinking lots of water, drinking protein shakes, eating low glycemic carbs, sex, no sex, ad nausem, a low carb day, a high carb day.

Sugar is a drug, i really dont know why it isnt classified as one.

146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the post bro, now I can blame HFCS on my obesity instead of being a lazy ass and not exercising (because it hurts so much to exercise)! Hell, they even put that crap in yogurt. Yogurt!!@#!!

liquid_diet

liquid_diet

Board Sponsor
Awards
Good post...I printed off an article about HFCS a couple years ago and passed it around my work and everyone hated me.

JHcody

Awards
Another study said male rats grew obese and had similar symptoms of male rats who were at risk for heart attack.

The issue generally is about how much is ok, and when to quit. I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible and its impossible to shop or buy things from the majority of the stores. Why is my vinaigrette filled with sugar and if its low fat its always high fructose...so frustrating.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
fructose and alcohol are poisons to our body. if you know biochemistry heres why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Also the reason fruits ok is the pectin anti os and fiber which can aid in cholesterol lowering. however best fruits are berries low sugar higher fiber.

this youtube presentation by a doctor is important to watch if you are interested in your health and especially this topic

codered5

Awards
Oh, but it gets so much worse.. Something that is very hard to find out is that enough HFCs will reduce your shbg... Reduce shbg enough and it will signal your body to STOP making testosterone.. I struggled with low t for years and bc no doctor knows anything about it, I never had areason to stop drinking soda bc I was at a good weight...I stopped drinking soda and within a WEEK my morning woods came back which I hadn't had in forever, sensation came back and within two weeks I started getting randoms at work and hadn't had them in years. Just something to keep in mind. Oh and my t shot up quite a bit don't remember the exact numbers