New Guy Q

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.43%

New Guy Q

Just found this place a couple weeks ago...have to say I freakin love it. It has helped to re-awaken my motivation and get me going again. Thanks!

My situation.

Right now I'm sitting about 215 to 220 lbs. 5'10". Benching about 440, fairly well balanced. My legs are a bit weak, but I am limited by two ACL reconstructions and further knee damage. Core is decent with a good 600+ dead lift and 1000+ hip sled. I am currently using Sizeon, a multi, and Cissus Rx (due to this place). Eat ok, but low on calories, as I put on fat easy. Usually get about 4 1.5 hour workouts in per week. I'm 27 and been lifting off and on (injuries and moving, etc.) for 13 years.

Diet is the following:
    breakfast -
    2 hard boiled eggs whole
    2 pieces whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey

snack -
    1 hard boiled egg
    -or-
    protein shake

lunch-
    subway turkey 6" no mayo or oil

dinner-
    large portion of lean meat and a veggie

My Question:

I am at least 20 lbs. heavier than I need to be on a normal basis. I have no abs, but carry my weight well due to my size. I want to put on some more size this winter for summer. Do I:

1 - add more calories and bulk now with the chance of adding even more fat

2 - cut first and then re-bulk and cut again?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.1%

You need to eat a lot more, especially for your size. 4 small meals a day is just not going to cut it. And if you are trying to cut without losing mostly muscle, you are going to need more calories especially since you are active. For cutting I actually eat more frequently because it speeds up my metabolism and helps me not be so hungry when carbs are depleted. But either bulking or cutting, you need to eat more.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.73%

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2loud
    You need to eat a lot more, especially for your size. 4 small meals a day is just not going to cut it. And if you are trying to cut without losing mostly muscle, you are going to need more calories especially since you are active. For cutting I actually eat more frequently because it speeds up my metabolism and helps me not be so hungry when carbs are depleted. But either bulking or cutting, you need to eat more.
    Yeah I agree. I'd add at least another shake or another meal. You're bound to crash diet off a ton of muscle otherwise. I wouldn't go under a calorie deficit that causes the loss of more than a pound a week if I were in you. Slower is better, since you still have the goal of lean gains in mind.

I don't see a whole lotta calcium content in your diet, so consider some reduced fat dairy stuff if you can digest it. Otherwise make sure your basic vitmain/mineral/EFA supplementation is in place.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.73%

Oh yeah, one more thing.... NICE BENCH!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.43%

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon
    Yeah I agree. I'd add at least another shake or another meal. You're bound to crash diet off a ton of muscle otherwise. I wouldn't go under a calorie deficit that causes the loss of more than a pound a week if I were in you. Slower is better, since you still have the goal of lean gains in mind.

I don't see a whole lotta calcium content in your diet, so consider some reduced fat dairy stuff if you can digest it. Otherwise make sure your basic vitmain/mineral/EFA supplementation is in place.
    your right...I am low on calcium. I get some in my multi (Animal PAK), but I am lactose intolerant. I can eat it, but everybody around me wished I didn't. I am seriously considering doing some cottage cheese before bed. I just need to get that started. I do eat a lot of green veggies, so that helps.

Thanks for the bench compliment...been working a loooong time on it. My goal is 500 by age 30 with no shirt. I want to push/pull combo 1200 by age 30, but stay under 220 for weight. Its a big goal, but possible I think.
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.38%

Dude great bench

However you need to increase your caloric intake some. Your breakfast is what a small child would eat. You should be eating at least 6-8 egg whites, some form of oats, and as far as your other meals go definitly increase your protein and carbs.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.11%

I'm really glad you made this post, because I'm in roughly the same boat, if you subtract 300 from the bench and 400 from the deadlift.

In hindsight, I may actually not be in the same boat. Nevertheless. Nice bench.

Similar Forum Threads

1. new guy on the block
    By b-boy in forum Pics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 03:55 PM
  2. Yet another new guy!
    By Draven in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 11:34 PM
  3. New guy
    By Chestnut in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14