refried beans?

1. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.47%

refried beans?

ok, i now have a new favorite dish for veggies. its 2 cups broccoli with 1/2 refried beans and 2 tbsp. hot salsa all mixed in a bowl. ever since ive been doing this ive questioned the nutrition/health of refried beans. i buy an organic canned version where the only ingredients list: water, pinto beans, green chiles, and sea salt. didnt know it was possible to make refried beans without oil/butter

so i guess im questioning how theyre made. are they just already cooked and mashed or what? the only disadvantage (that i see) to whole pinto beans is that it is more calorie dense packing 19g carbs (7g fiber), 0g fat, and 6g protein. is there any difference that im missing?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Yeah - that refried beans give me the squirts and major-league gas. (Whereas pinto only give AA gas....)
  3. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My guess is they are just mashed pinto beans that have been soaked but not fried.
    •   

4. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.47%

Quote Originally Posted by size
    My guess is they are just mashed pinto beans that have been soaked but not fried.
    yeah, this sounds reasonable. im thinking youre right. thanks for your input size
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Actually most brands of refried beans are extremely low in fat... weird. Seems like they're not fried even once.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.77%

Talking

I take it you're using the Trader Joe's refrieds? If so, add some dried chipolte peppers to them to "kick it up a notch". They're good the day after legs because you get to do an active recovery standing and sitting on the can.
  7. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.47%

Quote Originally Posted by GREENFEATHER
    I take it you're using the Trader Joe's refrieds? If so, add some dried chipolte peppers to them to "kick it up a notch". They're good the day after legs because you get to do an active recovery standing and sitting on the can.
    haha, suprisingly that does sound good. i love hot foods/spices. my ass will be on fire in more ways than one after a rough leg day

and to answer your question, its not trader joes refried beans. next time i go there ill look for them though cause theyre house brand is way cheaper than all other organic foods.
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage
    Actually most brands of refried beans are extremely low in fat... weird. Seems like they're not fried even once.
    "Refried beans" are actually only fried once. Typically they are soaked and stewed, then mashed, then fried.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.77%

Thumbs up

I actually have some Scotch Bonnets here that singe on one end and weld at the other, lol!! I have NO hair on my ass because of the spicy foods I eat. My wife can't be in the same room when I bring the peppers in from the smoker, she starts sneezing and her eyes water. We had a Quaker Parrot that loved the Scotch Bonnets as well. If you're doing a keto diet, you can reconstitute the dried chipolte peppers in EVOO and stuff them with some sort of goat cheese for a filling snack. You can tailor the hotness by how many seeds you leave inside as well.
  10. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.11%

There are several brands of fat free (or close enough) refried beans. I love 'em too, but the ones I get are very very high in sodium, which sucks cause most of the other things I eat are high in sodium too.

Sounds like a tastey recipe btw. I always keep an eye out for healthy quick vegetable recipes that I can actually enjoy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Refried Beans w/ Bacon
    By zombiemuscle in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 01:39 AM
  2. beans and cream of wheat
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
  3. Beans As a Carb Source
    By supersoldier in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18