refried beans?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
ok, i now have a new favorite dish for veggies. its 2 cups broccoli with 1/2 refried beans and 2 tbsp. hot salsa all mixed in a bowl. ever since ive been doing this ive questioned the nutrition/health of refried beans. i buy an organic canned version where the only ingredients list: water, pinto beans, green chiles, and sea salt. didnt know it was possible to make refried beans without oil/butter:wtf:

so i guess im questioning how theyre made. are they just already cooked and mashed or what? the only disadvantage (that i see) to whole pinto beans is that it is more calorie dense packing 19g carbs (7g fiber), 0g fat, and 6g protein. is there any difference that im missing? :gas:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - that refried beans give me the squirts and major-league gas. (Whereas pinto only give AA gas....)

S

size

Awards
  • Established
My guess is they are just mashed pinto beans that have been soaked but not fried.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
My guess is they are just mashed pinto beans that have been soaked but not fried.
yeah, this sounds reasonable. im thinking youre right. thanks for your input size

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Actually most brands of refried beans are extremely low in fat... weird. Seems like they're not fried even once.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I take it you're using the Trader Joe's refrieds? If so, add some dried chipolte peppers to them to "kick it up a notch". They're good the day after legs because you get to do an active recovery standing and sitting on the can. :eek:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I take it you're using the Trader Joe's refrieds? If so, add some dried chipolte peppers to them to "kick it up a notch". They're good the day after legs because you get to do an active recovery standing and sitting on the can. :eek:
haha, suprisingly that does sound good. i love hot foods/spices. my ass will be on fire in more ways than one after a rough leg day:fart:

and to answer your question, its not trader joes refried beans. next time i go there ill look for them though cause theyre house brand is way cheaper than all other organic foods.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Actually most brands of refried beans are extremely low in fat... weird. Seems like they're not fried even once.
"Refried beans" are actually only fried once. Typically they are soaked and stewed, then mashed, then fried.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I actually have some Scotch Bonnets here that singe on one end and weld at the other, lol!! I have NO hair on my ass because of the spicy foods I eat. My wife can't be in the same room when I bring the peppers in from the smoker, she starts sneezing and her eyes water. We had a Quaker Parrot that loved the Scotch Bonnets as well. If you're doing a keto diet, you can reconstitute the dried chipolte peppers in EVOO and stuff them with some sort of goat cheese for a filling snack. You can tailor the hotness by how many seeds you leave inside as well.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
There are several brands of fat free (or close enough) refried beans. I love 'em too, but the ones I get are very very high in sodium, which sucks cause most of the other things I eat are high in sodium too.

Sounds like a tastey recipe btw. I always keep an eye out for healthy quick vegetable recipes that I can actually enjoy.