yogurt vs cottage cheese

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Anybody know what the casein/ whey breakdown for yogurt is?
Are there other high casein products that dont cause a high insulin spike?
I'm looking for a bedtime slow release protein and was hoping to stick with a whole food.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What is your concern with the insulin index of cottage cheese?

Yogurt generally has less protein and more carbs (from lactose) than cottage cheese so it's not really a better bed time protein source.

Last edited:

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
yeah i take the cheese. sure it doesn't have the acidophilus in it but my body can't take not being able to break apart the tight sugar bond posed by lactose. stupid highly constricted nexus of two molecules! and the HFCS in yogurt isn't too nice either

djl

Awards
  • Established
Just started making my own yogurt. Using Lactaid milk instead of normal milk, so lactose should be quite minimal. And I have full control over what goes into it :)

(Oh, and it tastes really good!)

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
yeah i take the cheese. sure it doesn't have the acidophilus in it but my body can't take not being able to break apart the tight sugar bond posed by lactose. stupid highly constricted nexus of two molecules! and the HFCS in yogurt isn't too nice either

the HFCS is only in the flavored yogurt...so thats comparing apples to oranges (in even another sense).

And the probiotics in yogurts, and especially in probiotic supplements, is a godsend for some of us.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
What is your concern with the insulin index of cottage cheese?

Yogurt generally has less protein and more carbs (from lactose) than cottage cheese so it's not really a better bed time protein source.

I am trying to increase my insulin sensitivity. I get a spike with dinner I dont want another one at bed time.
I guess the casein/whey ratio is the same for yogurt huh?
I''ll just get used to the cheese.
Thanks.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Just started making my own yogurt. Using Lactaid milk instead of normal milk, so lactose should be quite minimal. And I have full control over what goes into it :)

(Oh, and it tastes really good!)
Do you have alot of spare time or is this easier than I imagine>

djl

Awards
  • Established
Do you have alot of spare time or is this easier than I imagine>
It's actually pretty easy. Bring milk close to a boil, let cool down to about 110 degrees F. Stir in a culture starter, pour everything into the yogurt maker.

7 or so hours later, you just stir in whatever optional stuff you want for flavoring (sugar/nutrasweet/sucralose, fresh fruit, whatever), and pop your fresh yogurt into the fridge to get to fridge temp.

You only do about half an hour's worth of stuff, nature takes care of the other 7 or so hours

It was pleasantly painless :)

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
interesting...this could come in handy. Lactose free yogurt...