Anyone Suggest good Quality protein?

Fun2Train

Awards
Just curious if anyone could suggest a good quality protein shake that doesnt cost and arm and leg. Iv tried allot and I like syntha 6 allot but it is just a little to costly for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Doesnt anybody like muscle milk? I didnt start making gains until I started drinking that stuff. One scoop first thing in the morning and one scoop after a workout.
I also use MHP's probolic-sr 12hour time release one scoop before bed.
I guess these are more expensive though.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk tastes good, but there is a lot of fat in it. So I don't use it. I see they have the Light version now, but I will stick with AI's and ON's.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Everyone likes AI's and ON's. Is there a difference its so cheap I would like to try it.
Edit: one... I mean I would like to try one.

Last edited:
TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
ON's is cheaper. The ON Gold Standard Whey is $40-50 for a 10 lb bag. The comparable AI product, Whey Protein Isolate, is $40 for a 5 lb bag. Plus, IMO the ON Gold is better because it also contains some hydrolyzed whey protein (which absorbs more quickly and efficiently) whereas the AI does not. (Plus ON also contains digestive enzymes AminoGen and lactase... not sure about AI.)

If you're going to spend $40 for 5 lb of the AI, you could buy 4.4 lb of ON's top-of-the-line protein, Pro Complex, for the same price. This I think is a clear choice, since the Pro Complex not only contains the whey protein isolate in AI but also egg protein, glutamine peptides, extra BCAAs, and hydrolyzed whey.

In summary, there's nothing wrong with AI protein. But you really cannot go wrong, either pricewise or qualitywise, with ON. IMO, ON is in a class by itself.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I've got 40 Lbs of AI protein to burn through here...

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I amend my last post. I see that AI does offer a 10lb of its Whey Blend for $48. This is a very good deal and comparable to the price on 10lb of ON Gold. I'd still go with the ON Gold due to the hydrolyzed whey and digestive enzymes, though...

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I use Dymatize Elite Vanilla exclusively....it is the best vanilla hands down!

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I didnt know that people actually bought their protein of choice because of taste:blink:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell yeah. No point in buying it soley on content if you can't choke it down :) A lot of the proteins are close in their ingrediants as well as their amino acids etc. The things that set them apart are taste, mixability and whether or not they make your tummy go rumbly :)

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I'm with Mmowry on this. I mean if it tastes like fermented horse urine, then avoid it... but most of the protein powders range from "tolerable" to "delicious", and as long as you can drink it without gagging, who cares about taste? If I wanted something delicious, I would be drinking a root beer float (or a Budweiser :) ) instead of a protein shake.

That said, just about ON protein tastes OK with water and pretty damn good with milk. Not sure about AI.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Did someone say beer? Drinking alcohol lowers Test levels.....but I don't care. It tastes great, actually much better than any protein powder. New additions to my stash, Left hand Brewing Company-Milk Stout and Rogue-Chocolate Stout. I wonder how that Milk Stout would taste with Kashi cereal?

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Somebody needs to market the world's first PWO beer, with 30g whey in a 12oz can.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah. No point in buying it soley on content if you can't choke it down :) A lot of the proteins are close in their ingrediants as well as their amino acids etc. The things that set them apart are taste, mixability and whether or not they make your tummy go rumbly :)
Yeah I know but Ive been downing nasty tasting stuff for so long that every protein Ive taken tastes like candy.In everyones defense candies deliciosity(made that up)varies greatly.

As far as mixability goes Ive long since moved to the frame of mind that shaker cups save misery.I have 1 at work and a couple at home to save me stress.:D

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
I just ordered some ON gold whey and now I'm wondering if I should stick with this sustained release protein for my pre bed shake.
Do sustained release protein powders work?
I dont see how we can keep the protein from being absorbed and keep it available to be absorbed later.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I just ordered some ON gold whey and now I'm wondering if I should stick with this sustained release protein for my pre bed shake.
Do sustained release protein powders work?
I dont see how we can keep the protein from being absorbed and keep it available to be absorbed later.
"Sustained release" proteins are generally just casein proteins. While whey is absorbed quickly over 1-2 hours, cassein is naturally absorbed and assimilated more slowly over 6-8 hours. Any casein protein powder or casein-based food (like cottage cheese) will work, so don't bother spending huge amounts of money on a fancy "sustained release" formulation.

I personally use ON Casein and/or cottage cheese before bed.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Cottage cheese huh? Yuk.
I guess I read the label and consume as many servings as is necessary for my intended protein intake?
If I had been consuming 33gms of "sustained release" protein can I replace it with 15gms whey and 20gms yukkie cottage cheese protein? Or do I need to eat all of my girlfriends cottage cheese?
disclaimer: i've never tried cottage cheese. It might taste good. (insert puking smiley face here)

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Cottage cheese huh? Yuk.
The taste varies a lot by brand. The small curd with at least a little fat tastes better IMO. And adding jalapenos and salsa helps as well.

If I had been consuming 33gms of "sustained release" protein can I replace it with 15gms whey and 20gms yukkie cottage cheese protein? Or do I need to eat all of my girlfriends cottage cheese?
Sounds reasonable. Also note that the protein naturally in milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey, so this is also good before bed.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
Dude! Thats alot of cottage cheese 15grams per half cup... oh wait... math skills dont fail me now... never mind, I was thinking half pint.
disclaimer: I just ate some ... and cottage cheese only looks bad. Stupid fat girls.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I really like Dymantize Elite Whey, and for my casein I just do some fat free cottage cheese before bed, has always worked wonders for me.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I'm a fan of BSL and MM, they both are extremly tastey and mix well.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Physique. I love it. I have gained amazing results in 6 weeks off it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Iso-100 by Dynatise. Just as good as vp2 with the amino acid profile and easy to digest , if you have stomach issues with wpc. good taste. Ive went though a bottle of berry, im on peavh now, and i received chocolate and vanilla, for XmAS=). 5 lbs tub cost 35.99 i think. Just as good as vp2. Look at the Amnio Acid profile. and compare it to any brand out there, and if another wpi protein product can beat it please post.I prefer Wpi over wpc. but i havnt seen any WPC that beat Iso-100 Amino acid profile

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
also heard alot of good stuff about San's Infusion.....a little pricey....but the makeup of it looks impressive

Dros120

Awards
TP's new flavors are pretty good and you decide what goes in the blend, so there are no fillers or additives that you do not want/need.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anyone heard of Giant, my friend Patrick Arnold, owner of Egopharm, wanted me to try it a while back, its his brand but i can't find it anyone

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well my friend Crowler said that anybody who hasn't done so yet can try up to three flavors of his protein for $1. And then he told me that your $1 will be refunded on your first purchase & he will give you a 10% discount! :D

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
also heard alot of good stuff about San's Infusion.....a little pricey....but the makeup of it looks impressive
It is alright. For the price you are paying and the muscle gains I have got if any, it is not worth the money. IMO. Plus I felt more like it was a placibo effect. I have no way to prove that it really works. Vp2 seems to be decent as well. Optimium Nutrition is a joke. There ABS product is a joke as well. They market towards two differnt audiances.

cervasa1977

cervasa1977

Controlled Labs Board Rep
Awards
GF pro is my fav protien right now and the flvors are all great especially the blueberry madness

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
It is alright. For the price you are paying and the muscle gains I have got if any, it is not worth the money. IMO. Plus I felt more like it was a placibo effect. I have no way to prove that it really works. Vp2 seems to be decent as well. Optimium Nutrition is a joke. There ABS product is a joke as well. They market towards two differnt audiances.
Why do you say Optimum Nutrition is a joke? Just curious, because it's really cheap, tastes all right, and most importantly, has been independently analyzed numerous times and always found to meet label claims.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why do you say Optimum Nutrition is a joke? Just curious, because it's really cheap, tastes all right, and most importantly, has been independently analyzed numerous times and always found to meet label claims.
One Protein blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), cocoa (processed with alkali), artifical flavor, lecithin, acesulfame potassium.

I can't use whey concentrate any way as I stated earlier I am locatose intolerant. The fact that WPC is cheeper to make should say a lot. I am not deficent in artifical flavors any way. Very few studies have compared different whey protein supplements in terms of how they may affect muscle gains during lifting weights. However, simply because no research has investigated whether one type of whey may be better than another, however, all whey proteins are NOT the same with regard to what they offer the consumer interested in building a better physique. You must understand that many (if not all) companies that sell whey protein supplements actually buy cheap forms of whey and add a heap of flavoring, creatine etc in a feeble attempt to mask the low quality. Then they market the product to consumers as a premier whey protein supplement and the consumer is none the wiser. Supplement companies rarely become involved in research and you can bet your money that poor quality and an inability to meet label claims is the reason why. In today’s market, there are only two routes that supplement companies appear to take. The first is to resort to marketing their products with the biggest bunch of scientific-sounding bull**** they can come up with, or a company can invest in real research that examines the properties and effects of the products they sell. To me ON is marketing. Check the ingredients label on some whey protein supplements, it will surprise you what they really contain.
I'll tell you one thing I think you’ll agree with. I'd prefer to buy my protein supplement from a company that has had the effectiveness of the product verified by research, rather than a company that makes Alice-in-Wonderland claims or at least been around the block for 25 to 50 years.
This is what my friend got from ON in a email convo.

Date: 2006/09/25 Mon PM 12:16:46 EDT
To: Daniel
Subject: RE: RE: Optimum Contact Us Form: New Product

We do not do clinical studies on our products.
In general we do not make claims about what our products will do, we
make claims about what our products have in them.
The best way for you to determine if you would like to use our product
or an alternate companies product is simply to do what what I suggested. Quite a large amount of information can be gathered about a product based upon the facts panels and ingredient statements. Let us take a whey protein for example. Our Whey is a blend. To avoid any confusion and dispel common myths, items in a blend do indeed have to fall in descending order of predominance. Some whey's products are just whey protein concentrate or mostly concentrate, these will have higher cholesterol, fat, and carbohydrates. Some of the much more expensive products will be all whey protein isolate, these will have lower fat, carbohydrates, and cholesterol. When Comparing products it is very important to compare serving size.

other than the nutrition content of a product and a companies flavoring
process, WPI is WPI, WPC is WPC, and HWP is HWP.
-Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:47 PM
To: Amy Melone
Subject: Re: RE: Optimum Contact Us Form: New Product
So cutting thru what you're trained to reply to your customers with, your COA's just represent that you got your products safely from your supplier correct? I'm asking you on what information YOU yourself or anyone ele in your company can provide me with proving that your products are superior to anyone else's. I've done my research and I know what types of proteins there are available and as a very intelligent and non-marketing influenced customer, I have done my research. Of course every company is going to say they take great pride in providing the public with "high quality protein", no company is going to be up front and say that their protein is low quality.

Has ON conducted any clinical studies on their products proving their efficiency and proving that your products do what you claim they should? I'm not asking if you guys have certificates showing where you get your raw material from or if your company received your products in tact and safely.

Please stick to the questions I'm providing and avoid providing me with answers for questions I didn't ask.

Thank you!

Date: 2006/09/21 Thu PM 12:07:56 EDT
To: Daniel
Subject: RE: Optimum Contact Us Form: New Product

Daniel, Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Our company
manufactures everything in house so we have a state of the art lab in
our facility that provides COA's (certificates of analysis) for all of
our products. There are hundreds of Whey protein manufactured by many companies. They are vary greatly either by the protein used (Whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, whey peptides etc.) and the quality of all the ingredients used in the product. As a consumer I would suggest you do some research on which ever products you are interested in trying and you will see ingredient for ingredient the vast differences between one companies product over another's. Our company takes great pride in producing a high quality protein at a very affordable price. Hopefully this helps if you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly. Thank you!!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:11 PM
To: Kelly Cunningham; Amy Melone
Subject: Optimum Contact Us Form: New Product

-----------------------------------------------
Contact Information:
-----------------------------------------------
Daniel
----------------------------------

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Hi there, I've been looking @ your 100% Whey for quite a bit now and
I wanted to know if you had any published clinical studies proving that
your product works over other company's. I understand this might come off a bit odd at first but it boggles me why there are so many different companies making the same product. How do I know your product is superior to the others? What proof can you provide me with as assurance that you are better than the rest out there?

I'm aware of the studies that have been conducted on whey that
therefore, proved the benefits of whey but what about YOUR whey protein products? I hope you can understand my concern and it would really clear alot of doubt from my mind if you could provide me with some form of assurance for my worries.

Thank you and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Daniel
CONTACT ME REGARDING THIS ISSUE
ContactRequested

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Jim,

Its John from Tennessee. I might be in hollywood in febuary ill let you know then anyhoo's Over at Bodybuilding dot com Patrick Arnold and other Guru's had a debate about WPI and WPC and if it really matters much.I ll try to locate the thread.

When i have the money i always go after a WPI product with a high amino acid profile. OIt's easier on my stomach, when im in a rush and i dont have time to sit around and let it digest; otherwise, in the past my stomach has felt upset with WPC , just my expirence. So i say if you have a weak stomach go ith WPI.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
allthewhey hands down, but there are other good ones out there as well, but im partial too them

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey Jim,

Its John from Tennessee. I might be in hollywood in febuary ill let you know then anyhoo's Over at Bodybuilding dot com Patrick Arnold and other Guru's had a debate about WPI and WPC and if it really matters much.I ll try to locate the thread.

When i have the money i always go after a WPI product with a high amino acid profile. OIt's easier on my stomach, when im in a rush and i dont have time to sit around and let it digest; otherwise, in the past my stomach has felt upset with WPC , just my expirence. So i say if you have a weak stomach go ith WPI.
I got bloated when taking wpc in the past and this was before I new I was lactose Intolerante. I had a awesome work out last night and had to servings of physique than 2 hours later had another 2 servings of physique than before bed I ate this mac and cheese in a bread thinggy which gave me another 700 calories. I am glad John feels the same way about protein. If you are going to use protein and the best is there use it.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Man, this BSL Contest is going to go on forever. :(

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
One Protein blend...
Who cares if clinical trials have been conducted specifically on ON protein? There is tons of research that has been conducted on the various types of whey: WPC, WPI, hydrolyzed. Whether or not ON relies solely on the manufacturer's CofA, ON protein has been independently analyzed more than any other brand. And every single analysis, to my knowledge, has shown that ON products meet label claims and really do contain what they're supposed to. So we, as consumers, don't need to rely on just a CofA (which is pretty much what you're doing when you buy 95% of proteins), because ON has been independently analyzed more than once. Clinical research on ON products specifically would be nice but isn't necessary, since they are confirmed to contain the labeled amounts of WPC, WPI, etc., which have been clinically proven.

Also, ON doesn't make a single whey product. They offer three levels: Classic, Gold Standard, and Pro Complex, each which offer varying amounts of WPC, WPI, hydrolyzed whey, etc. The Gold Standard and Pro Complex both contain lactase, making them tolerable even for lactose intolerant individuals (and the Pro Complex is mostly WPI anyway).

I'm not sure what you mean by "To me, ON is marketing." Regardless of how much they market, they offer quality products that contain what they're supposed to contain (rare in the supplement industry). And ON is also one of the cheapest brands on the market, so it's not like you're paying more for that marketing.

I'm not trying to shill for ON here; I'm sure there are other inexpensive, quality proteins on the market. But IMO they are one of the best, most consistent, most economical companies around.