Flaxseed oil

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea
    Good information. I think im going to try out the 30 -45 gram fish oil diet per day for two weeks. I might go longer i just want to see what its like. I used to take twenty fish capsules a day. you can read that in my at the beginning of my thread
    That much fish oil supp can compromise your immune response. I personally wouldn't exceed 6g. For general health, as little as 1-2g/d is fine. People tend to put too much emphasis on a single agent (like fish oil), which in the big picture of nutrition only contributes to a fraction of a percent. Just because some is good, doesn't mean more is better.

2. Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon
    That much fish oil supp can compromise your immune response. I personally wouldn't exceed 6g. For general health, as little as 1-2g/d is fine. People tend to put too much emphasis on a single agent (like fish oil), which in the big picture of nutrition only contributes to a fraction of a percent. Just because some is good, doesn't mean more is better.
    You might be right Alan Aragon, then again you might be wrong. Im willing to try anything to see if it works. I want results peroid. I know high Epa is great for muscle and ast has a supplement out now that has has amounts of Epa conatined in Myo-something. Charles Polquin is the one who recommends to consume 30-35 grams of fish oil per day to burn fat and build muscle. Why dont you and him put your research together and debate. You could be wrong you know and you could be right. I want the FACTS!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea
    You might be right Alan Aragon, then again you might be wrong. Im willing to try anything to see if it works. I want results peroid. I know high Epa is great for muscle and ast has a supplement out now that has has amounts of Epa conatined in Myo-something. Charles Polquin is the one who recommends to consume 30-35 grams of fish oil per day to burn fat and build muscle. Why dont you and him put your research together and debate. You could be wrong you know and you could be right. I want the FACTS!
    Poliquin has a reputation amongst us nutrition professionals for being rather "out there". I have built a reputation for being rather "in there". You can make whatever choice you want as far as who to listen to. I don't make any claims without research backing it up. On that you can bet your sweet ass.

4. Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon
    Poliquin has a reputation amongst us nutrition professionals for being rather "out there". I have built a reputation for being rather "in there". You can make whatever choice you want as far as who to listen to. I don't make any claims without research backing it up. On that you can bet your sweet ass.
    Got any research to back up your claims?

Ive heard too much fish oil can cause blood thinnign but again thats not fact So many rumors. Ive also heard too much fish oil will make you look a lot younger.

5. Repost of mine from another thread:

Not sure how many of you have noticed a recent trend of "flax bashing" based around its low conversion rate to EPA/DHA. Lately I've heard lots of folks advocate the abandoning of flax in favor of fish oil. FYI, fish oil is not the holy grail of health perfection that many have been marketed to believe.

Although ALA from flax oil has poor conversion to EPA/DHA, flax still has multiple potential health benefits:

Health aspects of partially defatted flaxseed, including effects on serum lipids, oxidative measures, and ex vivo androgen and progestin activity: a controlled crossover trial -- Jenkins et al. 69 (3): 395 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

On the potential downside of fish oil for geezers, EPA has been observed to decrease natural killer cell (NK) activity in elderly subjects, which has negative immune implications. ALA from flax was not seen to have any decreasing effect on NK:

Dietary supplementation with eicosapentaenoic acid, but not with other long-chain n-3 or n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, decreases natural killer cell activity in healthy subjects aged >55 y -- Thies et al. 73 (3): 539 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Here's some negative immune potential from DHA suppressing T-lymphocyte activation:

Effects of oils rich in eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids on immune cell composition and function in healthy humans -- Kew et al. 79 (4): 674 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

More negative effects on immune response.. EPA suppresses prostaglandin-E2 in young subjects, and decreases neutrophil respiratory activity in older subjects:

Entrez PubMed

This is not to blanketly counter-bash the fish oil proponents though. Having both flaxseed & fish oil in your diet is probably a good idea, in moderate amounts. Both have their unique benefits. If not exceeding target fat grams is an issue, these need not be taken on the same days. Rotational dosing through the week is fine; our bodies don't work on a 24-hr clock.
    •   

6. Good post brotha

7. Noice post Alan.

8. de nada hermanos

9. MCT's also can be beneficial in certain applications.

You just asked for fat sources, and everyone gave you the "basics".....MCT's can be good for something like a CKD diet...or if you are an ecto, MCT's can give you added calories without much chance for gaining fat...hence helping to add mass..other reasons as well

what are your reasons for wanting to increase fats?

added cals?
    mood?
    etc...

h19

10. Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    MCT's also can be beneficial in certain applications.

You just asked for fat sources, and everyone gave you the "basics".....MCT's can be good for something like a CKD diet...or if you are an ecto, MCT's can give you added calories without much chance for gaining fat...hence helping to add mass..other reasons as well

what are your reasons for wanting to increase fats?

added cals?
    mood?
    etc...

h19
    I use coconut oil. This seems to do the job of the MCT oil. It has like some of the same trigyides or something like that in it , as MCt has. also cocnut oil fat burning properties just like MCt has.

11. Flaxseed oil is my favorite fat source. I use it 2-4 times per day depending on my goals. I think it is important to mix your fat sources up though. Fish oil is good, but personally I think you're better getting your fish oils from whole food (salmon, etc...). You can supplement with EFA's with Almonds, walnuts, flaxseed oil (liquid is best).

The best flax oils are Barleans Highest Lignan and Udo's. Dr. Udo has a perfect formula.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flaxseed Oil Powder
    By Emerge in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 05:36 PM
  2. Flaxseed Oil Is Fantastic For Womens Health
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 07:39 PM
  3. Fish Oil vs. Flaxseed Oil?
    By GreenSquats in forum Supplements