eggs

G

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
how are eggs considered such a healthy breakfast food???

4 g fat
1 g carb
6 g protein

dosnt seem that good to me, the fat % is way to high on a cut.....dont you think?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
egg whites ;) my breakfast includes 10 egg whites and 1 yolk.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Eggs natures perfect protien. Just like Vit C every few years a study comes out saying it's bad/good for you.

I eat them several times a week. Just make adjustments in the rest of my diet to compensate.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outside of whey, no other protein source has a higher biological value and they are especially useful becaus eof the low, low cost.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Get the omega egg whites, no cholesterol no fat, and it comes with an easy to pour spout.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
What Rodja said.

And egg yolks are high in arachidonic acid, a fatty acid that probably plays an important role in new muscle synthesis. Other than red meat, egg yolks are the only good source of arachidonic acid.

Tons of fats = bad. Some fats = good. Egg yolks aren't a bad place to get some of those fats.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
There's good fats and bad fats. There's good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. If we all lumped the good with the bad and treat them the same, the good fatties will cry foul. Foul, bro!

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with what everyone says eggs are great.they contain plenty of good chlosterol which all hormones are comprised of and arachidonic acid is the also the key ingredient in X FACTOR.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I eat the omega whole eggs. How would you say cooking reduces the omega content? Would the same be true of fish, flax, etc?

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The heat breaks down the protein and degradates the oils.

B

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
The body produces enough of its own cholesterol for proper hormone production.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So the same is true of fish that contains high omegas?

Same is true for any polyunsaturated fats, as PUFA's oxidize easily.

The basic bit of info you want to take is that whatever amount of omega's it says on the label are not necessarily the same after the food is cooked. As long as your not microwaving your salmon (which is disgusting anyhow) you shouldn't have to worry.

JMHO, if you're eating your eggs hard or scrambled, it's not worth the extra $2 a dozen for the omega eggs.

As for the degradation of egg protein from cooking and mixing, there's been debate over this for decades, so eat your eggs however you want because any eggs is better than no eggs.

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
a fat is not just a fat..as already touched upon there are good fats and bad fats.eggs are healthy fats and they are packed full of other good nutes as well

id like to talk a little more about the cooking destroying omega 3 of eggs and fish?at least for the fish i would imagine it has to be only at least partial degradation?

R

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I think steaming the fish would be the way to go. Or I wonder about smoked salmon. I LOVE smoked salmon.

What about poached eggs? I would think that this would help with breakdown of the proteins and fats...

I like to boil some water..add a little touch of vinegar and a little salt and boil them soo the yolks are still runny... then put over a piece of whole wheat toast. Then some pepper. Yum I love eggs!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
a fat is not just a fat..as already touched upon there are good fats and bad fats.eggs are healthy fats and they are packed full of other good nutes as well

id like to talk a little more about the cooking destroying omega 3 of eggs and fish?at least for the fish i would imagine it has to be only at least partial degradation?
Well define partial degradation. I mean if there's 3 mol of Linolenic acid, and 2.8 mol oxidize, that's partial degradation (numbers are made up values used only to prove a point). Shoot, if that's the case, then it's partial degradation for eggs as well, since, even though the physical properties of the yolk change significantly, it's impossible to assume 100% conversion.
We can also factor in any sort of antioxidant properties the omega's have from being in the fish, and the numbers will change even more. Notice the following when you are cooking your fish:

1) The color changes. This is due to oxidation reactions. Could be from omega oxidation, protein oxidation, or oxidation of some other compounds found within the meat.

2) White secretions form (especially when cooking steelhead or salmon) these are saturated fats which rise to the surface due to buoyancy, polar/non-polar repulsion, and the fact that at the current temperature, it is now fluid.

Take it for what it's worth, and remember that fats from fish are still going to be better than fats from beef. But if you paln on getting the most omega's for you money, it's best eaten raw.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I like to boil some water..add a little touch of vinegar and a little salt and boil them soo the yolks are still runny... then put over a piece of whole wheat toast. Then some pepper. Yum I love eggs!
MMMMMMMM...... eeeegggggggggggggsssss.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
In other words, make sure to take your fish oil caps. I take 6 grams per day, plus usually a tbsp. of flax oil per night. I figured the omega eggs would be one more source, but in light of this discussion, I may just switch back to the standard eggs and save some cash.

B

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established

4 g fat
1 g carb
6 g protein

dosnt seem that good to me, the fat % is way to high on a cut.....dont you think?
Egg yolk contains a high amount of cholesterol don't eat more than 4 a week.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established

4 g fat
1 g carb
6 g protein

Healthy beacuse of fat content! yolks contain DHA an important brain nutrient that is critical to nerve health.

Cutting is based on calories more than fat content. You a cut on a "fat only" diet if you are still restricting calories

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Egg yolk contains a high amount of cholesterol don't eat more than 4 a week.
You need cholesterol to perform any hormonal function in the body. It is the base for all inherent human steroids. It is also necessary to protect you arteries from decay caued by oxidation. Chlolesterol builds up in your arteries "specifically" to prevent the walls from purging, which is what usually casues heart attacks due to rapid blood pressure change. You are healthier with high cholesterol than low cholesterol. When you have a blockage the back pressure usually finds a weak link along the arterial wall, where it bursts, which causes the stroke, not the actual blockage. Stay healthy eat eggs!!!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need cholesterol to perform any hormonal function in the body. It is the base for all inherent human steroids. It is also necessary to protect you arteries from decay caued by oxidation. Chlolesterol builds up in your arteries "specifically" to prevent the walls from purging, which is what usually casues heart attacks due to rapid blood pressure change. You are healthier with high cholesterol than low cholesterol. When you have a blockage the back pressure usually finds a weak link along the arterial wall, where it bursts, which causes the stroke, not the actual blockage. Stay healthy eat eggs!!!
Couple things:
1) Cholesterol IS a steroid.
2) It's not about having high or low cholesterol, it's about having the right amount of cholesterol.

Bottom line: if your cholesterol jumps after an omlette, cut back on the yolks.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
2) It's not about having high or low cholesterol, it's about having the right amount of cholesterol.
Or more specifically, having the right amount of HDL ("good") and LDL ("bad") cholesterol. The ratio between the two is far more important than total cholesterol.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Or more specifically, having the right amount of HDL ("good") and LDL ("bad") cholesterol. The ratio between the two is far more important than total cholesterol.
:thumbsup: Absolutely!

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Maintenance of the LDL cholesterol:HDL cholesterol ratio in an elderly population given a dietary cholesterol challenge.

Greene, Zern, Wood, et al.
J Nutr. 2005 Dec;135(12):2793-8.

We previously evaluated the responses to dietary cholesterol in children and young adults. In this study, the effects of dietary cholesterol on plasma lipids and LDL atherogenicity were evaluated in 42 elderly subjects (29 postmenopausal women and 13 men > 60 y old). Our exclusion criteria were diabetes, heart disease, and the use of reductase inhibitors. The study followed a randomized crossover design in which subjects were assigned to consume the equivalent of 3 large eggs (EGG) daily or the same amount of a cholesterol-free, fat-free egg substitute (SUB) for a 1-mo period. After a 3-wk washout period, subjects were assigned to the alternate treatment. The concentration of plasma cholesterol after the EGG period varied among subjects. When all subjects were evaluated, there were significant increases in LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) (P < 0.05) and HDL-C (P < 0.001) for both men and women during the EGG period, resulting in no alterations in the LDL-C:HDL-C or the total cholesterol:HDL-C ratios. In addition, the LDL peak diameter was increased during the EGG period for all subjects. In contrast, the measured parameters of LDL oxidation, conjugated diene formation, and LDL lag time did not differ between the EGG and the SUB periods. We conclude from this study that dietary cholesterol provided by eggs does not increase the risk for heart disease in a healthy elderly population.

B

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
Couple things:
1) Cholesterol IS a steroid.

Bottom line: if your cholesterol jumps after an omlette, cut back on the yolks.
we do not need to eat any food containing cholesterol because our body makes enough for our needs

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites and a yolk like Beelz mentioned are beneficial.

I'm going to try 8 egg whites, one yolk, 3/4 cup of Oat Flour, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and I'm not sure what to add for flavor yet, as a good "20 second meal". What can I wash this down with though?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites and a yolk like Beelz mentioned are beneficial.

I'm going to try 8 egg whites, one yolk, 3/4 cup of Oat Flour, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and I'm not sure what to add for flavor yet, as a good "20 second meal". What can I wash this down with though?
I love dill and cracked pepperon my eggs, so dillicious.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I take eggs raw in the morning.

regarding the fats, I need fats when I CKD regardless... it's win win.

Whole eggs, raw, and then I cook a few eggs about 1 1/2 hours later with egg whites (I have literally gallons of egg whites from a certain company) after my workout.

I love eggs.. raw, scrambled, poached, bloody.. whatever.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I'm not washing this down with dill and cracked pepper.
Whole eggs, raw, and then I cook a few eggs about 1 1/2 hours later with egg whites (I have literally gallons of egg whites from a certain company) after my workout.
(Lanas?)

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
ok dont, lol, Happy holidays people of AM.!!!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
if anyone is interested a great way to cook egss is with Macadamea Nut oil, best thing I was ever told to use

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Herron KL, Lofgren IE, Sharman M, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Metabolism. 2004 Jun;53(6):823-30.

High intake of cholesterol results in less atherogenic low-density lipoprotein particles in men and women independent of response classification.

The influence of a high-cholesterol diet on the atherogenicity of the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) particle was examined by measuring LDL peak diameter and composition, LDL susceptibility to oxidation, and the distribution of cholesterol between LDL subclasses. The crossover intervention randomly assigned 27 premenopausal women and 25 men (18 to 50 years) to an egg (640 mg/d additional dietary cholesterol) or placebo (0 mg/d additional dietary cholesterol) diet for 30 days, followed by a 3-week washout period. Subjects were classified as either hyperresponders (>2.5 mg/dL increase in plasma cholesterol for each 100 mg additional dietary cholesterol consumed) or hyporesponders to dietary cholesterol. Sex was found to have a significant effect on 3 of the parameters examined. LDL peak diameter was significantly larger (P <.005) in females (26.78 +/- 0.59 nm, n = 27) as compared with males (26.52 +/- 0.49 nm, n = 25), regardless of response to dietary cholesterol. The LDL particles of the male participants also had a higher number of triglyceride (TG) and cholesteryl ester (CE) molecules (P <.01); however, cholesterol ester transfer protein (CETP) activity was higher in females (P <.05). Response classification also revealed significant differences in the determination of LDL subclasses. Independent of sex, the LDL-1 particle (P <.05), which is considered to be less atherogenic, was predominant in hyperresponders and this finding was associated with increased cholesterol intake (interactive effect, P <.001). In addition, CETP and lecithin: cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT) activities were higher in hyperresponders during the egg period (interactive effect, P <.05). Sex, response to cholesterol intake, and diet were not found to affect the susceptibility of LDL to oxidation (P > 0.5). Because LDL peak diameter was not decreased and the larger LDL-1 subclass was greater in hyperresponders following egg intake, these data indicate that the consumption of a high-cholesterol diet does not negatively influence the atherogenicity of the LDL particle.

MY COMMENT: Interesting that regardless of whether the subjects were hyper- or hypo-responders to cholesterol, intake increased only the neutral LDL subparticle. This lead the researchers to conclude that a high cholesterol intake from whole eggs is NOT a causal agent in the development of atherosclerosis -- regardless of predisposition to cholesterol biosynthesis.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Eggs taste great. I mostly rely on eggs, chicken, and a little bit of whey for my protein intake. If you're strapped for time you can drink them with some liquid sucralose :twisted:

They are also probably the best source of lecithin, which is pretty underrated IMO.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
thanks alan, i love eggs and id be nice to have more yolks.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
google keyra augustina, she parades aorund in different outfits, its degrading, its perfect. lol

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
google keyra augustina, she parades aorund in different outfits, its degrading, its perfect. lol
From what I remember, she's from Brazil and works with computers in some way. Besides posting her ass on them.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
6-9 raw eggs a day with a teaspoon of regular sugar with each one

on a bulk of course

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
ya see, the fat in the egg isn't really fat. it's PHAT but the peeps that put it down the nutrition label done gone mussed it all up so dat egg really has 4 grams of PHAT. what's the difference between fat and PHAT? PHAT has an extra carbon chain that transforms its cell structure into a new sequence called AMB-3 (Awesome Muscle Builder-Cubed)

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
ya see, the fat in the egg isn't really fat. it's PHAT but the peeps that put it down the nutrition label done gone mussed it all up so dat egg really has 4 grams of PHAT. what's the difference between fat and PHAT? PHAT has an extra carbon chain that transforms its cell structure into a new sequence called AMB-3 (Awesome Muscle Builder-Cubed)
hahahahahahaha. One of the best posts ever.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take eggs raw in the morning.

regarding the fats, I need fats when I CKD regardless... it's win win.

I love eggs.. raw, scrambled, poached, bloody.. whatever.
Can you explain what CKD is for retards such as myself?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
cyclic ketogenic diet

inducing ketosis, sustaining ketosis for 5-7 days, and glycogen supercompensation for 2 days. Works extremely well on a cut while retaining muscle. I'm very senstive to carbs so it works good for me as an idividual, as when I try to gain i don't need as much carbs as the next person in my macro breakdown. It's hard to break from the ketogenic dogma once you get used to it though... that's the bane of it.

Don't be self depricating... it lowers the sexy quotient.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
cyclic ketogenic diet

inducing ketosis, sustaining ketosis for 5-7 days, and glycogen supercompensation for 2 days. Works extremely well on a cut while retaining muscle. I'm very senstive to carbs so it works good for me as an idividual, as when I try to gain i don't need as much carbs as the next person in my macro breakdown. It's hard to break from the ketogenic dogma once you get used to it though... that's the bane of it.

Don't be self depricating... it lowers the sexy quotient.
Gotcha, I was thinking it had something to do with lowering carbs.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
eggs are cheap and u take the yoke out and just eat the egg whites and u are good too go. i luv egg whites