Oil and Vinegar?

massarmor

Awards
Ok, I'm in line for a nice meaty foot long sandwich at subway. Should I take the oil and vinegar?
I'm not sure exactly what kind of oil it is and what vinegar does to the body.
Also, would you get salt and pepper?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
definitely can't go wrong with mustard and vinegar .. since although i assume its olive oil i don't know for sure

although i'm sure they're cold cuts are processed to all hell and sodium laden

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Glen is right on the sodium content; adding salt to a sub with cold cuts is making a bad situation worse. Subway is usually pretty good with nutritional info, just grab one of their pamphlets and check out the values.

Vinegar is ok. Ask them what type of oil it is to be sure but its probably ok if it fits in with your calories - it would be a better alternative to cheese.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
The Subway oil is called an "Olive Oil Blend" and is actually a mixture of olive and vegetable oils. I'm not sure of the actual percentage of each, though.

So it's relatively healthy, but keep in mind that a little adds a lot of calories.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
i tend to doubt the oil blend is mainly oo so i would be wary until clarification on that.im curious as well though as ive wondered myself

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I don't understand Subway. They always advertise as being healthy, yet the only way to actually get a 6" sandwich w/ 8 grams of fat or less is to get no cheese and I think the only option for dressing is mustard. Where's the fat free cheese? Where's the extra light mayo?(their "light" mayo ain't very light). Do they have fat free ranch?

massarmor

Awards
Moyer, I know they have wine vinegar. I'm not exactly sure of it's ingredients but it could be healthy. It's one of the sauces they have.

I'm bulking, so do you think I should keep the cheese?

What exactly does sodium do for your body? And what happens when you get too much of it?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Moyer, I know they have wine vinegar. I'm not exactly sure of it's ingredients but it could be healthy. It's one of the sauces they have.

What exactly does sodium do for your body? And what happens when you get too much of it?

Do you think wine vinegar would be good on a turkey sandwich? (I've never had it)

You could definately find better sources of fat than crappy cheese. It's no big deal to have once in a while, but if you're eating a foot long sandwich every day, I'd forget it.

That said, the most important things to think about when bulking are:

1. How many calories did I eat today? (300-500 over maintenance or roughly 17-18cals/lb bodyweight)
2. How much protein did I eat today? (1g-1.5g/lb bodyweight)

Also I haven't seen anyone that's smart about nutrition recommend getting more than 25% of your cals from fats. And most of those should come from mono & polyunsaturated fats. Things like nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, flax oil, fish oil, salmon, etc.

This is basically the long way of saying that I don't recommend the cheese, but it won't hurt you much either(if at all, assuming the rest of your diet is right).

Far as sodium goes, I don't worry about it. Drink plenty of water (around a gallon a day), and take some extra potassium if you want.

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established

Too much salt causes dehydration since the body will take whatever water that is available to break down the salt.

Cheese in moderation isn't bad for you. Remember, cheese also contains protein.

massarmor

Awards
ya, wine vinegar is pretty good. But I would check the ingredients just incase.

good fats help raise the testosterone level right? so would it be best to have most of those after a workout?

Is sodium and salt the same thing?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
ya, wine vinegar is pretty good. But I would check the ingredients just incase.

good fats help raise the testosterone level right? so would it be best to have most of those after a workout?

Nope, it doesn't work like that. Yes a healthy amount of fat is good for long term hormone levels. Eating one fatty meal isn't going to spike it though.

Also, after a workout is the best time of the day to eat carbs (and protein of course). Most people limit fat during this time for a number of reasons. I have a couple of whole eggs at breakfast, olive oil in another meal or two, and walnuts or flax oil before bed. The meal before and the meal after my workout are both low fat. Personally I think before bed is the best time to consume fats, but I don't have any real proof of this.

Yeah sodium=salt.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes and no. Table salt (sodium chloride) is probably the single biggest source of salt in our diets but there are other sources as well. Sodium nitrate is frequently used in cold cuts as a preservative. You really have to read the fine print.