Maybe this is too much to ask...

S

sooner999

Awards
I am an ectomorph have stuggles my whole life putting on weight. I have tried to follow diets but i am a very busy guy between school and work so the diets i try to follow are rather unrealistic. For example i dont have time in the morning for 6 egges a bowl of oatmeal and a pieve of steak. Also i dont have the money to make a 9 oz. steak, baked potatoe, cup of veggies, etc every 3 hours like these buling diets suggest. I find myself orgering out everynight then chasing it with a protien shake. Maybe this is to much to ask but if you have time could someone put up a bulking diet for a guy on a low budget and who cant cook very well. This would be a HUGE help...thanks

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm an endomorph. I wish I had the complaints that you have : )

Anyhow, not to sound like a salesman, but my friend Tom who is an ectomorph like nature made for a freak show (skin and bones unless he is lifting frequently), had great results with CytoGainer and Muscle Milk. I know he drank both like crazy whenever he felt the slightest bit hungry. He also had fears of catabolism so he was always eating different bars, not sure which ones but he didn't eat any of the same ones I do (LaBrada Lean Body series, U-Turn, Detour, etc.).

I know it's not much help because a diet can not/should not consist of too many supps, but that's my $.02

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow man I know how you feel, do a little searching I'm sure you will find some good ideas to put your new diet together. I also go to work and school, and have been able to keep control of my diet for the most part.

I think really what you need to do is plan ahead.
If you dont have time to cook m-f, then cook enough on sunday to last the whole week. example: make rice and beans, and chicken breasts to last the entire week.

carry around a bottle of water with you at all times, and a lunchbag with your next meal in it.

As far as money is concerned, you HAVE HAVE HAVE to buy in bulk. Oats, tuna, pasta, and chicken breasts are dirt cheap at Costco (on the east coast) or check out a Trader Joes, whichever is nearest to you.

search for college diets on here. I know there are a lot of ideas for food. Also people figured out daily and weekly how much they spent on food. I think I spent only $50 or so on food per week.

whatever you do, best of luck to you.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I am not understanding the low budget part if you have the money to order out. For $5 a day you can easily get in 4000 calories, probably less than your oder out food costs.

Well I wont put a diet together for you but I will tell you foods you can eat on the go. Do they taste good, No. Are they enjoyable not really but they are fast and packed with calories.

raw eggs, crack em open and drink em, leave the yolks in.

Peanut butter, on bread, by itself in protein drinks etc.

Olive oil in your protein drink.

There you go easily add 1000 calories a day.

No excuse now as this stuff is VERY cheap, VERY fast, it is now up to you.

CROWLER

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Bagels (preferably whole wheat) will give you an additional ~310 calories each. You can eat them on the run. Three of these alone each day will provide an additional ~1000 calories per day. Or slap some natural peanut butter on them.

Get a coffee bean grinder and grind oatmeal into flour to add to your shakes.

Brown rice cooked ahead of time will last most of the week. True also for chicken breasts. Rice cakes (brown rice) are also a possibility.

Liquid egg whites (homogenized) are an alternative to raw eggs (albeit more expensive). Also, powdered eggs and egg whites are a quick alternative can be added to a shake, and relatively inexpensive when bought in bulk.

Put Olive Oil in a water bottle and sip it throughout the day.

All of those suggestions will save time, buying in bulk will save money.

S

sooner999

Awards
wow...didnt expect such quick and helpful responses..ill add to all of your karma points..ill also take all of you suggestions into consideration. Also one more question, most of you guys mentioned olive oil one mentioned justsipping it straight like water, i have never heard of that beforei was wondering what that will do for me ...thanks

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Yes calories are an important part of any bulking phase. You can easily find canned turkey or lean beef chili that will give you 4-500 clean cals in each can. On sale these can go for ~$1 apiece. Put your entrees together ahead of time, like on the weekend. Cooking sides such as oats, brown rice and veggies ahead of time, hard-boiled eggs, peanut or better yet almond butter all will add cheap quality clean cals to your diet.

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Also one more question, most of you guys mentioned olive oil one mentioned justsipping it straight like water, i have never heard of that beforei was wondering what that will do for me ...thanks
First off, since I don't know what your diet currently looks like, it ensures that you are getting a constant stream throughout the day as opposed to one or more large helpings. FAT is more caloric dense than either CHO or PRO, which may assist you in the bulking process, being an ecto. (BTW, I'm not suggesting you go overboard on your fat intake!) Also, it will assist in slowing in gastric empting which may be beneficial for someone with a high metabolism.

In addition to EVOO, make sure that you are getting FAT from polyunsaturated sources - fish/fish oil, flax/flaxseed/flaxseed oil.

J

jet11

Awards
tuna - 30+ grams of protein per can ($1.50)
rice - bag CHEAP
chicken, raw - $2.50/lb (?)
oatmeal
yogurt
fruits
vegges
etc

theres a ton of food out there, best is to cook enough one day for the week or a few days, then tupperware it and serve it for the week

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
mmmm mmmm this guys got it right here?
love them raw eggs!easy cheap quality protein/cals and good fats
no matter what the situation there is ALWAYS time if u work it right.make your blender your best friend if u are that pressed for time that u cant realistically prepare/eat a whole lot of whole food meals.

buy in bulk at a costco or sams clube,or find a discount outlet near u that sells damaged or out of datebut still good)items at a fraction of the cost.

oats,olive oil,NATTY pb and other nut butters,flax/hemp oil,protein powder,fruits,etc etc etc

if your not gaining weight your not eating enough.its as simple,and as difficult as that.

I am not understanding the low budget part if you have the money to order out. For $5 a day you can easily get in 4000 calories, probably less than your oder out food costs.

Well I wont put a diet together for you but I will tell you foods you can eat on the go. Do they taste good, No. Are they enjoyable not really but they are fast and packed with calories.

raw eggs, crack em open and drink em, leave the yolks in.

Peanut butter, on bread, by itself in protein drinks etc.

Olive oil in your protein drink.

There you go easily add 1000 calories a day.

No excuse now as this stuff is VERY cheap, VERY fast, it is now up to you.

CROWLER

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I understand not having enough time to spend 30 minutes preparing meals, but there are usually ways to get proper nutrition quickly and cheaply.

For example, you mention not having time to make eggs and oatmeal in the morning. Both can be made in the microwave. Buy the bulk tubs of instant oatmeal, add water, and zap for 60-90 seconds. Eggs take a little longer, 2-3 minutes in the microwave, but taste pretty good. If you really need to save time, you can buy the liquid egg products.

Or before bed, you can eat oatmeal (prep time 60 seconds) and a big bowl of cottage cheese (prep time 10 seconds). Low-fat cottage cheese is basically casein protein with a little sugar, so it's a natural source of "time-released" protein.

If you have to eat away from home (work, school, etc.) and don't have access to a kitchen, there are whole grain cereals that are a great source of "good" carbs requiring no preparation. Just put them in a ziploc and eat them whenever. For protein, canned chicken breast and tuna can be carried easily and eaten anywhere (as can tuna, turkey, and chicken breast sandwiches).

These are just a few examples. Do a little research and get creative, and you'll find that it's pretty darn easy to eat properly no matter how tight your schedule and budget are.

Hope this helps.

JakeVendetta

JakeVendetta

Board Sponsor
Awards
wheat bagles with banana and peanut butter good cheap, lots of kcals.