Appetite is out of control, is there something wrong with me?

IronMarc

Awards
Ok, so I am 19, 5'7 , and currently 176lbs and probably about 10lbs over weight becuase I do have a fair amount of muscle. (I really should get my bf% checked). My problem is, well it's a problem when I try to cut or maintain weight, that I seem to over eat. I can either go the day without eating anything at all and not feel hungry, or I eat something and then all hell breaks loose, 1 thing leads to 2, then that turns into even more. For example, today at work...I had a chicken sandwich....I told myself i'd wait for an hour until I had another, lasted about 15 mins and I made myself another sandwich. After that, I ate a 500ml of 1%cottage cheese, after that I ate a package of beef jerky....ugh I tried to stop, but something in my metabolism must be f'ed up. I would take ephedrine or something to suprress my appetite but I am taking creatine and I don't think the two mix. Is this a problem? I am not eating 4-5 small meals throughout the day, it's more like a big breakfast, followed by a big lunch, followed by a big dinner, and then a late night snack...I heard that low GI foods aren't supposed to make you hungry, and I only eat whole wheat bread and no sugars, so where is this appetite coming from. I don't want to diet yet though, but this is obbviously going to be the problem when I do. Most people's problems are lack of appetite, mine is too much! I need help!

rkieltyk

Awards
i used to go through binge periods it was pretty terrible, probably 10x worse than yours. i would suggest a high fiber intake, eat food with a lot of volume (raw spinach would fulfill both of these qualities, although with the news of late..) take your time eating, drink lots of water, eat frequently. Also i find if your mind is occupied you are less inclined to eat. if you feel that you just cant hold back (and you have the time) go for a run.

IronMarc

Awards
My eating habits suck, it's hard to eat frequently, and expensive to buy healthy snacks, not to mention most granola bars are loaded with sugar, I just can't win. I wish tuna didnt have such a bad smell LOL, or i'd bring a can to class with me everyday.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Hunger is generally your body's way of telling you that you need to eat. If you're hungry after a sandwich, then keep eating. I'm gonna assume that you're training pretty hard. Increases in training intensity or duration can cause transient (temporary) hikes in appetite. You could be going though what's referred to as an adaptation phase. Key word: phase.. Don't stress yourself out over it. Just train hard, rest well, & respect your hunger & satiety signals.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
My eating habits suck, it's hard to eat frequently, and expensive to buy healthy snacks, not to mention most granola bars are loaded with sugar, I just can't win. I wish tuna didnt have such a bad smell LOL, or i'd bring a can to class with me everyday.
I found that if you mix tuna up the night before with some salsa (or other healthy addition to taste) and let it sit in the fridge overnight, the smell will be a lot less offensive to those around you. You still might want to bring a toothbrush though :D

ManBeast

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
This happens to me sometimes, usally when i am training very hard.
If my diet is not in deficit for cutting, then i will add a cassien shake to 1 of my meals or if $$'s are a problem then just drink milk, this tricks my body into feeling more full. Hopefully Lactose isnt a problem for you.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Try using some protein shakes (mixed - not just isolates)...

Also, you may not be getting enough of "something" that is making your body hungry. Try ramping up low GI carbs a bit, and/or good fats. Have a salad with olive oil, etc. You may find what you are looking for.

Of course, you could be a vampire... :)

Finally, why not try an appetite suppressant?

R

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Hey bud, you sounded like me not too long ago... Bodybuilders are very "all or nothing" people. They set strict rules that they follow rigidly, then if they break it, all hell breaks lose. I couldn't lose very much weight not too long ago because of this problem, and in fact I've never been a normal eater my whole life -- but I've come to terms with that. IMO what you need to do is get to a bodyfat the you're extremely comfortable with, and work on maintaining that bodyfat level for as long as you can while still training. I would even suggest bulking with Bobo... as the amount of clean food you'd eat with him is probably more than you ever care to. ;) Stop putting food on a pedistal... that's easier said than done, but once you maintain a certain bodyfat for a while your hunger will subside and it will be much easier to control.

While I respect Mr. Aragon and am a very big fan of his articles, I don't agree with the "If you're hungry, that means you need to eat" rule, because I know that doesn't work with my body, as it's always hungry and never happy. ;) Maybe he means to learn when you're psychologically hungry vs. biologically hungry (which I still, to this day can't determine...), and only eat when the latter occurs.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you mainly have this problem while you are trying to cut, it sounds like you aren't taking your diet seriously. You need to be consistent with your meals. If you go all day without eating you can easily feel fine... for a while. However, you will crash and your appetite will be much stronger than it normally should be if you'd been eating normally.

Drinking a lot of water throughout the day will help as someone already suggested. When you are cutting you are already depriving yourself to some extent, when you throw in big gaps without eating you are asking for problems. Think of it like this: Think of the difference between having to control your breathing by relaxing and taking in small amounts of air. Not ideal, but you can make it work. Now, hold your breath for as long as you possibly can. The result, you can only maintain that for awhile then you take in a huge gasp of air and continue breathing heavily for some time (ie, you use more air than you normally would have). hope that was a good analogy. This is a simplistic view, but your body is basically over compensating via appetite because you screwed it over during the day. :)

TSC

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
I'll offer up some advice here... When I'm on the cut, which I am right now, I like to take a cheat meal on the weekend. Now, I say cheat meal. Heh, sometimes it's a cheat night. But, as long as you're not breaking your diet for 72 hours solid, eating poorly, your body won't experience a chemical change. Heck, you'll potentially be better for it as long as you don't turn that cheat meal on the weekend into a massive binge "every" weekend. I'll give you an example... Last night, I went to Logan's with some friends. Well, it started off innocently enough. I got the Santa Fe Tilapia with a house salad (honey mustard dressing) two pieces of their bread with butter, a large plain sweet potato, and a lot of water. Well, then the fun started. I ordered the Peanut Butter & Fudge Ice Cream thing for desert, left there and went to the grocery store... At the grocery store I got a box of chocolate chip cookies from the Deli, those golden jelly roll things (6 count), a big chocolate bar, and a bag of halloween sugar pumpkin candy things. Well, I ate half of all of that and then gave the rest to my buddy. That was it for my cheat night. It was a lot of sugar and fat, probably kickin' around 6000 calories or so of just junk. Yeah, I have a little heartburn today, and my belt's fittin' a little tight... Oh yeah, my abs aren't rockin' like usual either. But, that's just the food that hasn't left my system yet. It'll all go. This isn't here to stay by any means. I give myself another two days and I'll be right back to where I was, and potentially be metabolizing my food even faster than I was last week. So, there ya have it. Indulge your inner fatboy every once and again. This will help you to control your cravings during the week. When you binge, you regret. So, you'll probably think twice before really binging again. At least for awhile anyway. Heh, it works for me. Perhaps it will work for you as well. Good luck.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
While I respect Mr. Aragon and am a very big fan of his articles, I don't agree with the "If you're hungry, that means you need to eat" rule, because I know that doesn't work with my body, as it's always hungry and never happy. ;) Maybe he means to learn when you're psychologically hungry vs. biologically hungry (which I still, to this day can't determine...), and only eat when the latter occurs.
Absolutely gotta distinguish between psychological hunger & physiological hunger. That can be tough to discern at all times, agreed. The weird thing too is that you shouldn't always deny you're psychological cravings. There's definitely some benefit to forthehellofit eating when/if it's controlled.

I dunno man, I suggest you go eat & be happy for a second :)

Innings Eater

Innings Eater

Awards
Think of it like this: Think of the difference between having to control your breathing by relaxing and taking in small amounts of air. Not ideal, but you can make it work. Now, hold your breath for as long as you possibly can. The result, you can only maintain that for awhile then you take in a huge gasp of air and continue breathing heavily for some time (ie, you use more air than you normally would have). hope that was a good analogy. This is a simplistic view, but your body is basically over compensating via appetite because you screwed it over during the day. :)

TSC
That is a good analogy.

IronMarc

Awards
Hey bud, you sounded like me not too long ago... Bodybuilders are very "all or nothing" people. They set strict rules that they follow rigidly, then if they break it, all hell breaks lose. I couldn't lose very much weight not too long ago because of this problem, and in fact I've never been a normal eater my whole life -- but I've come to terms with that. IMO what you need to do is get to a bodyfat the you're extremely comfortable with, and work on maintaining that bodyfat level for as long as you can while still training. I would even suggest bulking with Bobo... as the amount of clean food you'd eat with him is probably more than you ever care to. ;) Stop putting food on a pedistal... that's easier said than done, but once you maintain a certain bodyfat for a while your hunger will subside and it will be much easier to control.

wow man, that's exactly it. I tried that "low GI foods make you full" thing, so I was eating lots of vegetables, what I found was the second I had anything high in carbs I couldn't stop, I think it's also untrue that if you feel hungry you should eat, because truth is I only feel hungry when I am extremly bored, if I am out having a good time I don't feel hungry. Question on the side, how long does it take for your body to start catabolising muscle without eating, supposing you were not doing any physical activity, I mean if I am sitting there watching tv and don't eat for 6 hours after a high protein low carb meal, am I gonna start losing muscle?

IronMarc

Awards
I'll offer up some advice here... When I'm on the cut, which I am right now, I like to take a cheat meal on the weekend. Now, I say cheat meal. Heh, sometimes it's a cheat night. But, as long as you're not breaking your diet for 72 hours solid, eating poorly, your body won't experience a chemical change. Heck, you'll potentially be better for it as long as you don't turn that cheat meal on the weekend into a massive binge "every" weekend. I'll give you an example... Last night, I went to Logan's with some friends. Well, it started off innocently enough. I got the Santa Fe Tilapia with a house salad (honey mustard dressing) two pieces of their bread with butter, a large plain sweet potato, and a lot of water. Well, then the fun started. I ordered the Peanut Butter & Fudge Ice Cream thing for desert, left there and went to the grocery store... At the grocery store I got a box of chocolate chip cookies from the Deli, those golden jelly roll things (6 count), a big chocolate bar, and a bag of halloween sugar pumpkin candy things. Well, I ate half of all of that and then gave the rest to my buddy. That was it for my cheat night. It was a lot of sugar and fat, probably kickin' around 6000 calories or so of just junk. Yeah, I have a little heartburn today, and my belt's fittin' a little tight... Oh yeah, my abs aren't rockin' like usual either. But, that's just the food that hasn't left my system yet. It'll all go. This isn't here to stay by any means. I give myself another two days and I'll be right back to where I was, and potentially be metabolizing my food even faster than I was last week. So, there ya have it. Indulge your inner fatboy every once and again. This will help you to control your cravings during the week. When you binge, you regret. So, you'll probably think twice before really binging again. At least for awhile anyway. Heh, it works for me. Perhaps it will work for you as well. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice bro, sounds like you have quite the cheat meals there, I don't think I could do that, like NY said it's all or nothing with me, perhaps a cheat meal for me might be you know having more bread or something, but going overboard with the sweets would kill me, and if I do have something with lots of sugar it would probably be a protein bar or something, at least something with nutritional value, btw I am regretting the cutting phase as christmas draws near, but I am going to stick with it.

IronMarc

Awards
If you mainly have this problem while you are trying to cut, it sounds like you aren't taking your diet seriously. You need to be consistent with your meals. If you go all day without eating you can easily feel fine... for a while. However, you will crash and your appetite will be much stronger than it normally should be if you'd been eating normally.

Drinking a lot of water throughout the day will help as someone already suggested. When you are cutting you are already depriving yourself to some extent, when you throw in big gaps without eating you are asking for problems. Think of it like this: Think of the difference between having to control your breathing by relaxing and taking in small amounts of air. Not ideal, but you can make it work. Now, hold your breath for as long as you possibly can. The result, you can only maintain that for awhile then you take in a huge gasp of air and continue breathing heavily for some time (ie, you use more air than you normally would have). hope that was a good analogy. This is a simplistic view, but your body is basically over compensating via appetite because you screwed it over during the day. :)

TSC
I understand man, really I do, it's just hard to do all this with such restrictions. Not every place caters to these kind of things, so I am screwing myself over I know, but I would also be if I was eating that junk. So it's kind of like "I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't", you know what I mean?

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, I am on the cut too Marc. Yeah, it sucks. Are you carb cycling? Ideally, you should be taking a carbup day at least once a week. Say you're eating 150g or so of carbs daily right now on your cut. Well, you should take one day a week to eat 400g-500g of carbs. This will have a positive effect on your metabolism and help to maintain your sanity as well. Obviously, you'll want to use clean foods to make up your extra carbs. Potatoes, breads, pasta (heh, sometimes), oatmeal (my favorite), a little extra milk, etc. Just things like that. Don't fear the junk food either. Once in a blue blue moon, it's a good thing. Heh, and I may be crucified for saying this... But, it's even a good thing a couple of times on the cut. Good luck man.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established

TSC
First time I've heard that analogy I like it. Water, water, water! I know how you feel brother, I've been going through this my whole life, problem is if I screw up 2 days in a row I find 5-10lbs on the scale. I am hungry 24/7, I eat 8-10 meals a day because if I don't, I'll screw up, when I wake up at night I have premade shakes in the fridge and sometimes I'll go crazy anyway because I'm not thinking straight at 3am. When I'm hungry I drink water, when I'm not hungry I drink water, also mind set is very important, sometimes when I'm ready to grab that pizza or whopper I'll look at myself in the mirror or try to think about my goals. Eat to live(and lift), don't live to eat. It's not easy and even at 41 yrs old I still struggle, but you can control it and now is the time to find ways to be able to live with it because it's probably not going to change much!

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
You mentioned not wanting to take creatine and ephedrine together. I don't beleive there's any kind of problem there.

Just make sure you're drinking a lot of water as the creatine wants to suck it into the muscle cells and ephedrine is a diuretic. I've been taking those two things on and off for 14 years, most of that time together and never had any kind of problems.

IronMarc

Awards
You mentioned not wanting to take creatine and ephedrine together. I don't beleive there's any kind of problem there.

Just make sure you're drinking a lot of water as the creatine wants to suck it into the muscle cells and ephedrine is a diuretic. I've been taking those two things on and off for 14 years, most of that time together and never had any kind of problems.
Certain supplements containing creatine advise you not to take ephedrine, should I ignore that then?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Your not suppose to take them "together" so wait an hour or whatever to take one or the other, I've never had issues even putting them down in the same go.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
It's bad for your kidneys. That's why they have a warning on them. Just monitor your urine I guess. Make sure that you drink insane amounts of water. You'll probably be ok, but I'm no doctor. Hell, talk to a doctor about it. And not one of these anti-supplementation, anti-bodybuilding, anti-intelligent doctors either. I wouldn't have one of those guys as my doctor. lol Stands to reason I guess. Anyway, good luck.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice bro, sounds like you have quite the cheat meals there, I don't think I could do that, like NY said it's all or nothing with me, perhaps a cheat meal for me might be you know having more bread or something, but going overboard with the sweets would kill me, and if I do have something with lots of sugar it would probably be a protein bar or something, at least something with nutritional value, btw I am regretting the cutting phase as christmas draws near, but I am going to stick with it.
You know... at 15%+ bodyfat, I could take a whole 24 hours of cheating and still lose fat at excellent pace.

May I recommend signing with Bobo? I have a feeling once he's accepting spots again, if you go with his cutting plan you'll have a whole different definition about food haha.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Your not suppose to take them "together" so wait an hour or whatever to take one or the other, I've never had issues even putting them down in the same go.
Ahhh...when I said together, I meant in the same nutrition/workout program. I take my creatine in the morning and my ephedra before I lift, about five hours difference there.

I only take ephedra about two times per week though. I want the stim effect on my heavy dead and squat days.

IronMarc

Awards
Ahhh...when I said together, I meant in the same nutrition/workout program. I take my creatine in the morning and my ephedra before I lift, about five hours difference there.

I only take ephedra about two times per week though. I want the stim effect on my heavy dead and squat days.
Ephedrine is great a great stim for Squats, I am at 175lbs and 30 inch waist, using a calculator said I was at 10-11% bodyfat, even when I am not carbed up, using ephedrine I was still able to squat 315lbs for 12 reps, 365 for 6, and 405 for 2...I wouldn't be able to do this witout ephedrine and being carb depleted.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Ephedrine is great a great stim for Squats, I am at 175lbs and 30 inch waist, using a calculator said I was at 10-11% bodyfat, even when I am not carbed up, using ephedrine I was still able to squat 315lbs for 12 reps, 365 for 6, and 405 for 2...I wouldn't be able to do this witout ephedrine and being carb depleted.
I agree...a good dose of ephedrine adds at least 5-10% to my lifts. That can equate to over 50 lbs extra when things are getting heavy! Ephedrine is one of the best overall supplements ever.

bossman523

Banned
Awards
good afternoon, hungry friends. i find that when i am training hard, i work up quite an appetite!