Being Put to Sleep Tomorrow, Cant eat for 8 hours what to do?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im getting my wisdom teeth pulled out so my doc said I cant eat or drink ANYTHING including water for 8 hours before my surgery. It is at 330 pm tomarrow and Im wondering what I should eat in the morning to help me get nutrients the rest of the day. Any Ideas and help would be greatly apprieciated.

I was thinking of taking a big shake: ISS gainer 4 scoops, 2 bananas, Swole V3, Retain, EFA, Multi, maybe some oats.

Im still lean bulking so not eating for 9-10 hours wont help me. Im ecto so Ill probably lose weight too. Will I lose muscle or just burn excess fat?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll be fine and you can sip on water just don't drink.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Its 8 hours...........................................

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
8 hours isn't going to do much of anything i wouldn't worry.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what is a good meal for me to eat when i get up?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
what is a good meal for me to eat when i get up?
none, you really don't need anything, one day is not going to hurt you and you don't want to be puking during or after your surgery. If any thing in the morning make it a protien shake with some oats, something that you know will be out of your system quick

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
none, you really don't need anything, one day is not going to hurt you and you don't want to be puking during or after your surgery. If any thing in the morning make it a protien shake with some oats, something that you know will be out of your system quick
thats what i was thinking. im gonna go with a shake with oats and my multivitamins

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Im getting my wisdom teeth pulled out so my doc said I cant eat or drink ANYTHING including water for 8 hours before my surgery.

As far as post-surgery, if you have any in bulk, L-glutamine will greatly assist recovery from the surgery.

When I had oral surgery, I added 2 grams to each protein shake, 3 times a day and it helped tremendously.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
thats what i was thinking. im gonna go with a shake with oats and my multivitamins

Not that it will be of much concern (cuz multi v's never provide nutrients in large enough amounts), but I think I remember vitamin C in higher doses, negatively effecting anesthesia.

tattoopierced1

I dont think your gonna want to eat anything after getting your wisdom teeth pulled. They'll probably give you pain pills, and normally those kill your appetite. Just remember to keep those new holes in your mouth clean or you'll have an awful infection.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As far as post-surgery, if you have any in bulk, L-glutamine will greatly assist recovery from the surgery.

When I had oral surgery, I added 2 grams to each protein shake, 3 times a day and it helped tremendously.
negative, no glutamine on hand. Although I do have it in a protien blend, should be enough.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not that it will be of much concern (cuz multi v's never provide nutrients in large enough amounts), but I think I remember vitamin C in higher doses, negatively effecting anesthesia.
That would be a bad thing. No but seriously since I have gotten in a serious accident MFers want my money, I owe so much so I have like medicaid or something like it. I dont get authorized anesthesia, this time being the exception, I have delt with alot of pain straight up and for a while I was used to pain, still am kinda. When you say Vitamin C neg effecting anesthesia im assuming it was about being somewhat awake?
The painkillers will be a nice addition to my current supplements :D . Hope I dont have too much problems eating afterwards.

SO, Its 630am and I drank a full serving of ISS Gainer Matrix, 2 bananas, 12oz milk, 8oz water, and a scoop of Swole V3. With bulk cissus pills, multi, Retain, and 4g Fish oil. Im going to try to go to sleep later so I dont have to fight my appetite all day.

Is it alright for me to sip water a few hours before the surgery?

I apprieciate all the replies, all helpful, I will update later.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So i got it done yesterday.Not too bad. I have just been taking muscle milk, jamba juice, and yogurt are the only things I ate so far. I want to smoke a cigarrette so bad but I hear you can get a "dry socket". My doctor said no hot foods so im not sure when i can start eating normal again.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
So i got it done yesterday.Not too bad. I have just been taking muscle milk, jamba juice, and yogurt are the only things I ate so far. I want to smoke a cigarrette so bad but I hear you can get a "dry socket". My doctor said no hot foods so im not sure when i can start eating normal again.

Yeah, it's really easy to dislodge the blood clot and get dry socket, so don't even bother smoking (I think it's the perfect oppertunity to quit though).

Make sure you don't create any excess suction in your mouth, even if you aren't smoking.

Generally speaking, by the third day, the risk of dry socket is minimal but you still want to go easy for a few days.

Anyways, good luck with the liquid lunch.... :rasp:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL thanks. I had a liquid diet before and it was a full liquid diet that lasted 4-5 weeks from when I got in my accident and had upper lower jaw broke and wired. It really REALLY sucks, people take for granted just chewing. I wont smoke. btw what exactly is a dry socket?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
"btw what exactly is a dry socket?"
It is the premature dislodging of a blood clot following oral surgery (the blood clot that is where your tooth used to be).

They should have explained that as well as the fact that you shouldn't be spitting (even though the blood has to go somewhere), or using a straw.

The best way to prevent it is to avoid excess suction within the mouth.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
but if the blood clot unclotted wouldnt it clot again? so what is the problem. My doc didnt really explain much or i was just kinda tipsy. I woke up in the middle of it and told this hot nurse that i wanted her to move in my house with me. lol.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
but if the blood clot unclotted wouldnt it clot again? so what is the problem. My doc didnt really explain much or i was just kinda tipsy. I woke up in the middle of it and told this hot nurse that i wanted her to move in my house with me. lol.

Like I said, it is only the premature dislodging (usually within the first 48+ hours) that you need to be concerned with.

When the blood clot is dislodged, the alveolar bone wich was being protected by the clot itself, is exposed to bacteria and infection will most likely follow. When this happens.... you WILL know it. :aargh:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you a doctor or something like that, med student? thanks heres some rep.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nevermind i got the spread the rep message. When would it be safe to chew things like a sandwich?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
nevermind i got the spread the rep message. When would it be safe to chew things like a sandwich?

I'm not a doctor.... but I play one on TV. :icon_lol:

I just like to know as much as I can about the body I'm stuck inside. :study:

Since I'm not a doctor, I really can't tell you when it will be ok to eat solids, but for myself.... I think it was by the third day.

Just go easy on it and you'll be set. Try to chew the food towards the front of the mouth. :donut:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i wonder if it is okay for me to have a few beers. Im thinking the yeast might be a problem or not? I think i can smoke a ciggarrette if i just inhale with some air and mouth slightly open?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the syringe too, I dont know what im supposed to do with it. Shoot water on the stitches or around or what? I think i just forgot everything they told me before they put me sleep because they didnt tell me afterwards.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this is the perfect time to quit smoking, in fact I would worry more about that then the diet.

A dry socket is a bone infection after a recent extraction, 3-4 days. its often refered to condensing osteitis though that is a more genral term of the type of infection you get. You WILL know if you get it. It almost always starts as a loss of the blood clot.

Just do what your doc tells you and worry about the smoking first and the diet next. I would drink a lot of protien shakes though.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
i wonder if it is okay for me to have a few beers. Im thinking the yeast might be a problem or not? I think i can smoke a ciggarrette if i just inhale with some air and mouth slightly open?
NO and NO. Beer or any alcohol will break up blood clots and such. Smoking is bad to start with and really bad for wound. if you just can't stand it go get a patch.