White Tea

Markio

Markio

Awards
hello all,

I picked up some white tea out of curiosity (very nice too by the way - but what else would you expect an englishman to say...).

After an hours reading I have found that this has more catechins than green tea, and also shows the same promising effects on colon cancer and skin cell damager, it contains more anti-oxidants than green the and slightly less caffien.

It is essentialy made the same way as green tea, but just from younger leaves which are steamed and dried immediately.

Now after finding out all that, I couldn't find the one thing that I was actually looking for... does it have the same fat fighting potenital as green tea? Based on what I have just read I am guessing yes, but would have thought that the marketers would have been promoting this benefit if it was the case?!

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Cheers all

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try running a search to look for ECGC content of white tea.

Markio

Markio

Awards
Ah that's the kiddy I couldn't remember - ECGC! Done a bit of reading and it would appear that White Tea has more of this too - probably due to the fact it is the same leaf just less processed. Some links below for anyone who wants to have a quick read... Interestingly the last link seems to indicate that this could be beneficialy for hair loss. Haven't read further than that page on that site though yet.

ScienceDaily: White Tea Beats Green Tea In Fighting Germs

Tea For Health

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums/cf_bulletin.cfc?method=PrintThread&t=15482

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Until recently, white tea was an expensive novelty here in the states. Now it's being mass marketed and I've had some delightful varieties. Glad to hear that it has a comparable or superior health profile.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
if only we could get some white tea extract, somethin i have been looking for a while now... i do have to say, that i enjoy a few cups of white tea twards the end of the day.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Ah fellow tea fans...
My true love will always be Genmai (green tea and brown rice) :) but white tea is great too.

---
Black tea is withered, fully oxidized and dried. Black tea yields a hearty, amber-colored brew. Some of the popular black teas include English Breakfast, and Darjeeling.

Green tea skips the oxidizing step. It is simply withered and then dried. It has a more delicate taste and is pale green / golden in color.

Oolong tea, popular in China, is withered, partially oxidized, and dried. Oolong is a cross between black and green tea in color and taste.

White tea is the least processed. A very rare tea from China, White tea is not oxidized or rolled, but simply withered and dried by steaming.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Genmaicha is the chit. It really is.

White tea has quickly become my favorite. It has the deep flavor of a black or oolong while at the same possessing a mild taste, even when steeped too long.

The benefits of additional EGCG's and catechins don't hurt either. :)

Protomike: I don't think there would be much difference between WTE and GTE as long as extract standards are adhered to besides cost, seeing as it is harder to come by white.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed they sell combinations of white and other teas...

White & Red
White & Green

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Ah, fellow Tea snobs. :D
I get all my tea from this store: Teavana It's my wonderful new "hobby". After drinking loose leaf tea, I can't go back to bagged tea. I'm drinking some right now and I don't like the artificial taste to it...Oh well, gotta get my green tea in somehow. :D :cheers:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Ah, fellow Tea snobs. :D
I get all my tea from this store: Teavana It's my wonderful new "hobby". After drinking loose leaf tea, I can't go back to bagged tea. I'm drinking some right now and I don't like the artificial taste to it...Oh well, gotta get my green tea in somehow. :D :cheers:
I used to drink the loose kind but it's too much work! :D jk...but I prefer the bags. I've found that stashtea.com has really good pre-bagged teas. That's where I get my Genmai, and it compares to the loose IMO

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink the loose kind but it's too much work! :D jk...but I prefer the bags. I've found that stashtea.com has really good pre-bagged teas. That's where I get my Genmai, and it compares to the loose IMO
Normally it would be a lot of work with loose leaf, but I got one of these:Teavana Perfect Tea Maker All I have to do is add water and let it steep. I'm lazy like that and this helps quite a bit. :D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
HEY! Sam's club has 200 white tea tea bags for $7.00 so pick some up today. hopefully they can reimburse me for my shameless advertising lol

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
That is a great deal. I get 100 for four buckaroos. Prince of Peace brand Peony White Tea. But I've only found it at asian stores thus far.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
Protomike: I don't think there would be much difference between WTE and GTE as long as extract standards are adhered to besides cost, seeing as it is harder to come by white.
true, but the antiviral and antibacterial applications would be great to take on a daily basis...

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
true, but the antiviral and antibacterial applications would be great to take on a daily basis...
While true what I meant was that you could just take additional GTE to achieve the benefits of a WTE at a speculated lower cost. Quality white teas still average double the cost of quality green teas, at least in the spots I've observed, but the benefits may not be double.

Elzar

Awards
While true what I meant was that you could just take additional GTE to achieve the benefits of a WTE at a speculated lower cost. Quality white teas still average double the cost of quality green teas, at least in the spots I've observed, but the benefits may not be double.
Amazon.com: Stash White Christmas White Tea, Tea Bags, 18-Count Boxes (Pack of 6): Gourmet Food
$13.99

Amazon.com: Stash Premium Green Tea, Tea Bags, 20-Count Boxes (Pack of 6): Gourmet Food
$13.99

Amazon.com: Celestial Seasonings White Tea, Imperial White Peach, Tea Bags, 20-Count Boxes (Pack of 6): Gourmet Food
$13

Amazon.com: Celestial Seasonings Authentic Green Tea, Tea Bags, 20-Count Boxes (Pack of 6): Grocery
$13

looks like the same price to me

Elzar

Awards
could be

it takes up store shelve space and less people know about it so it's probably bought less often.

amazon doesnt have to worry about that because they have gigantic central warehouses sitting in the middle of nowhere where the cost for space is practically zilch.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
amazon doesnt have to worry about that because they have gigantic central warehouses sitting in the middle of nowhere where the cost for space is practically zilch.

true... theres a few of them located all over. there is one in delaware, but whenever i order books cds or dvds they come from all over the country instead of the one an hour from my house.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
hmmm i thought that the antimicrobal, antibacterial, and antiviral aspects where specific to wte... either way still would be nice to get some for cold and flu season.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I picked some up and the taste is awesome and the stats dont lie, ive recently been having horrendous joint pain after exercise and when i wake in the morning, pain to the point where mobiltity is compromised and i hold on to surfaces to help spread weight. Did some research and found this thread.... now only three days later ive noted a significant reduction in stiffness and soreness. Ive also increased h20 consumption and stretching. White tea and its antioxidant qualities are for real.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Any other teas with great benfits i dont know about, im going to try to find out some more great teas ive already gone to the local "chinese store" and bought a flu tea, white tea, tea for cleasing kidneys and liver. The latter tea has some white tea in it. I now am going to find a good tea for GI flushing/cleasing. Open to any suggestions.