Diet Soft Drinks

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Other than the caffeine content, are there any real concerns with one consuming a couple of diet soft drinks per day? I've seen negative comments about diet drinks, but I'm a bit uncertain why they have a bad reputation. I realize they aren’t going to do you any good, but do they really do any harm?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Sodas can and will leech water and other nutrients out of your system. I try to avoid them myself. Diet teas are better, but nothing will ever beat good old water.

ManBeast

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't drink much pop but when i do it's diet for sure i don't see a problem with maybe 1 diet pop a day.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
I don't drink much pop but when i do it's diet for sure i don't see a problem with maybe 1 diet pop a day.
Christ people, it's not called pop!! It's called soda! :frustrate

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Some people call it Pop. My buddy from Illinios says Pop as well.

I personally don't find anythign detrimental in drinking 1 or 2 sodas a day. But then again I'm kind of addicted to Diet Sodas, Crystal Light, etc.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
as long as you dont call it sodi pop I dont have a problem (although I do personally say soda)

I drink 1 can of diet coke a day (and on rare occasions will drink 2)
however with school starting I have a feeling it will be replaced with water as I wont be bringing a diet coke to school and drinking it warm and my water intake will be hindered a bit by school (1.5 liter poland springs help though)

HairyLarry35

Awards
Unless you have kidney or liver issues (which you would hopefully know ahead of time) and you don't drink a ton of it, no it's fine.

But here is a quick bit of info that I found:

"Diet sodas are manufactured with artificial sweeteners - one of the most popular being aspartame. The validity of aspartame as a health risk has been debated for many years - some claim the sweetener may contribute to increasing toxicity levels and risk of various illnesses, while other dismiss such charges."

"What we do know for certain is that aspartame contains phenylalanine, an essential amino acid that does occur naturally in certain dairy foods and green vegetables. On the other hand, one byproduct of aspertame is formaldehyde!"

Sooooooo, there is a lot of conspricy theory going on here, but basically, take everything in moderation (including moderation itself) and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Here is another good link Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HL

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My only concern with diet anything is the appetite stimulation from aspartame. I usually have some crystal light or a diet soda every few days just to break up the monotony in my diet.

HairyLarry35

Awards
I have nothing against Scottsmen or our neighbors to the North, but I saw this joke the other day...

An American, a Scot and a Canuk were in a terrible car accident. They were all brought to the same emergency room, but all three of them died before they arrived. Just as they were about to put the toe tag on the American, he stirred and opened his eyes. Astonished, the doctors and nurses present asked him what happened.

"Well," said the American, "I remember the crash, and then there was a beautiful light, and then the Canadian and the Scot and I were standing at the gates of heaven. St. Peter approached us and said that we were all too young to die, and that for a donation of $100, we could return to the earth."

He continued, " So of course, I pulled out my wallet and gave him the $100, and the next thing I knew I was back here."

"That's amazing!" said one of the doctors, "But what happened to the other two?"

"Last I saw them," replied the American, "the Scot was haggling over the price and the Canadian was waiting for the government to pay for his."

HairyLarry35

Awards
To sum up this thread:

ALL SODA=BAD

mmmmmmm'kay? So that bit of advise should be worth like 500 rep points, right? :dump:

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
To sum up this thread:

ALL SODA=BAD

mmmmmmm'kay? So that bit of advise should be worth like 500 rep points, right? :dump:
So what your saying is a Regular Pepsi is just as bad as a Diet Pepsi?:blink:

HairyLarry35

Awards
So what your saying is a Regular Pepsi is just as bad as a Diet Pepsi?:blink:
Yes, but for different reasons. With regular, the high sugar content is counter productive to a good diet.

And with diet, serious health affects (i.e.- brain lesions) have been reported as part of cumilative, toxic side effects, but is mostly regarded as hear-say. Also, (read above), insulin spikes and increased hunger occur.

If I had to pick one, go with regular, but avoid it in general if you can.

HL

Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Awards
Unless you have kidney or liver issues (which you would hopefully know ahead of time) and you don't drink a ton of it, no it's fine.

But here is a quick bit of info that I found:

"Diet sodas are manufactured with artificial sweeteners - one of the most popular being aspartame. The validity of aspartame as a health risk has been debated for many years - some claim the sweetener may contribute to increasing toxicity levels and risk of various illnesses, while other dismiss such charges."

"What we do know for certain is that aspartame contains phenylalanine, an essential amino acid that does occur naturally in certain dairy foods and green vegetables. On the other hand, one byproduct of aspertame is formaldehyde!"

Sooooooo, there is a lot of conspricy theory going on here, but basically, take everything in moderation (including moderation itself) and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Here is another good link Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HL

I wish I could find the info I've come across about the conversion of aspertame to formaldahyde....but basically you'd have to drink upwards of 100-150 diet sodas at a time in order to have detectable levels in your system, so that's not much of a worry. As with all things however, moderation is key. I do, however, definitely agree that ANY soda should be consumed in limited amounts--particularly when dieting. I find consuming too many "falsely-sweet" products increases my hunger for sweets. In addition, the carbonation interferes with my digestion process.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
The amount in your system is dependent on the conversion mechanism, as well as the half life... And I am guessing that the half-life of formaldahyde is going to be considerable. So cumulative effects might come into play as well.

ManBeast

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Christ people, it's not called pop!! It's called soda! :frustrate
I'm from Ohio and it's POP dammit! :rasp: and I drink one or two most days as with all things moderation is the key.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So far, thank you for the really good information..

FWIW - on the West Coast it is believed that the terms "pop" and "soda" just don’t sound right (cough, cough – too effeminine). So, while technically both incorrect and possibly compromising an invaluable trade name, we tend to refer all “soft drinks” as “Cokes”.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Yes, but for different reasons. With regular, the high sugar content is counter productive to a good diet.

And with diet, serious health affects (i.e.- brain lesions) have been reported as part of cumilative, toxic side effects, but is mostly regarded as hear-say. Also, (read above), insulin spikes and increased hunger occur.

If I had to pick one, go with regular, but avoid it in general if you can.

HL
Like you said for diet, it's probably hear-say. But anything comsumed in large amounts probably isn't good for you. If I had to drink a soda, i'd rather have diet than regular. No sugar, and if I want to get full(bloated) without eating, diet pepsi jazz will do the trick.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I look at diet soft drinks as antagonists to health. They should definitely be kept to a low roar if you consume them at all. But their potential impact can be pretty negligible if a small enough amount is consumed, as with anything else. What is a small amount? That's the million dollar question. For someone who consumes 4-6 cans a day (not saying this is you, but I've known my fair share of them), 2 would be barely hanging on. Whether 1-2 a day has any realworld impact on longterm health is really anyone's guess. I had a client who had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). After 10 years, & 10 different doctors, she decided to cut all artificial sweeteners (she had about 6 servings a day, a combo of sodas or packets to sweeten coffee). Her MS symptoms decreased by about 60-70% in the course of the weekend. That sh1t freaked me out & opened my eyes to the potential negatives that the hippie alarmists keep crowing about.

Attached is an interesting study. Makes you think about just how much science & commerce influence eachother.

Attachments

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Interesting dirt on sucralose:

Headache. 2006 Mar;46(3):515-7.
Migraine triggered by sucralose--a case report.

Bigal ME, Krymchantowski AV.

Department of Neurology, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA.

Sucralose is the active compound of the most commonly sold sweetener in the United States. Different than aspartame, sucralose is not considered to be a migraine trigger. Herein we report a patient with attacks of migraine consistently triggered by sucralose. She also suffers from menstrually related migraine that had been well-controlled for several months since she switched her contraceptive from fixed estrogen to triphasic contraceptive pills. Some attacks triggered by sucralose were preceded by aura, and she had never experienced migraine with aura before. Withdrawal of the compound was associated with complete resolution of the attacks. Single-blind exposure (vs. sugar) triggered the attacks, after an attack-free period.

Headache. 2006 Sep;46(8):1303-4.
Popular sweetner sucralose as a migraine trigger.

Patel RM, Sarma R, Grimsley E.

Sucralose (trichlorogalactosucrose, or better known as Splenda) is an artificial sweetener from native sucrose that was approved by the FDA on April 1, 1998 (April Fool's Day). This observation of a potential causal relationship between sucralose and migraines may be important for physicians to remember this can be a possible trigger during dietary history taking. Identifying further triggers for migraine headaches, in this case sucralose, may help alleviate some of the cost burden (through expensive medical therapy or missed work opportunity) as well as provide relief to migraineurs.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Interesting dirt on sucralose:

Headache. 2006 Mar;46(3):515-7.
Migraine triggered by sucralose--a case report.

Bigal ME, Krymchantowski AV.

Department of Neurology, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA.

Sucralose is the active compound of the most commonly sold sweetener in the United States. Different than aspartame, sucralose is not considered to be a migraine trigger. Herein we report a patient with attacks of migraine consistently triggered by sucralose. She also suffers from menstrually related migraine that had been well-controlled for several months since she switched her contraceptive from fixed estrogen to triphasic contraceptive pills. Some attacks triggered by sucralose were preceded by aura, and she had never experienced migraine with aura before. Withdrawal of the compound was associated with complete resolution of the attacks. Single-blind exposure (vs. sugar) triggered the attacks, after an attack-free period.

Headache. 2006 Sep;46(8):1303-4.
Popular sweetner sucralose as a migraine trigger.

Patel RM, Sarma R, Grimsley E.

Sucralose (trichlorogalactosucrose, or better known as Splenda) is an artificial sweetener from native sucrose that was approved by the FDA on April 1, 1998 (April Fool's Day). This observation of a potential causal relationship between sucralose and migraines may be important for physicians to remember this can be a possible trigger during dietary history taking. Identifying further triggers for migraine headaches, in this case sucralose, may help alleviate some of the cost burden (through expensive medical therapy or missed work opportunity) as well as provide relief to migraineurs.
interesting, i consume a lot of sucralose and never experienced any problems. i even buy the bulk sucralose so i dont get the added fillers and make a liquid solution. i rotate with sweeteners between sucralose, aspartame (just from crystal light), and stevia for pretty much no reason. guess it makes me feel better about myself.

question regarding foods listing sucralose or splenda in ingredients: does this mean that splenda(sucralose + malto/dextrose) is added or just the active sweetener of sucralose by itself? been wondering this for awhile:think:

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Pop is kind of a northern US word. It's big in chicago, as well as up in michigan where i'm at, and i guess from one of the posters in here it even stretches up into canada.

Anyways, my buddies always drink diet pop when there cutting, but to me anything carbonated bloats me and makes me feel really fat while i'm cutting.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Phosphorous in brown soda/pop can lead to some bone density issues.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
With all the 'toxins' and 'poisons' in Diet Soda that we hear about, we should be dropping dead in record numbers. We aren't though.

hahaha, I love this:
A fat person gets 3 Supersized Combo Meals, Milkshake, fries and a Diet Soda. Later comes to the conclusion that the Diet Soda is responsible for the 48% BF. I guess he would know

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I have a couple friends who compete and they drink up to a gallon per day of crystal light, right up to the competition, they claim it does not affect them at all.

One way to see if your body is releasing insulin or not is to use a glucose tester, check your blood sugar level, then drink a diet pop or a glass of crystal light, wait awhile and check it again. I have tried several times and there is absolutely zero change in my blood sugar levels from diet pop.

Mess

Awards
  • Established
too much food will kill you, too much drinking will kill you, too much of anything will hurt you.i say this because i work for a global CSD (carbonated soft drink) company and i know as a fact that diet soda wont harm you as long as you consume it moderately .1 or 2 cans wont give you more than a calorie and a couple of burbs.

cheers

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
after reading some studies on the negative effects of aspartame im going to switch from diet pepsi to diet coke with splenda.