Does fiber contain calories?

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Does fiber contain calories? I was under the impression that it does not (both insoluable and soluable), but at looking at my nutritional label for psylum husk, it contains 5g of fiber and 20 calories.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Well, it's not supposed to. Maybe there's another ingrediant that is adding the calories? Psyllium Husk has non fibrous carbs that is where the calories are coming from i'd assume?

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Don't believe there is in mine... It's actually marketed as pure fiber but psyllum husk is the main ingredient. I also noticed beans and a lot of other things count the calories in fiber in the nutritional label. So even though part of fiber might be soluble it still contains no cals?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Well actually i think each gram of fiber counts as a gram of carbs so 1g=4 calories so 5g's fiber=20 calories so that looks right

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried VPX's new fiber supplement? I have a buddy using it right now in all his shakes and he loves it, it's a blend of different fibers. Also look into PGX fiber, i want to get some of the board sponsers selling it, it's the most potent fiber blend out there.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Well actually i think each gram of fiber counts as a gram of carbs so 1g=4 calories so 5g's fiber=20 calories so that looks right
Right, technically fiber is a carbohydrate... But I thought that it could not be absorbed by the body and either a) binded to bile or b) was shat out, therefore technically containing no calories.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I could be wrong on this one, but it would make sense if their are 20 calories and no flavouring or anything and 5g's of fiber.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
My guess is that fiber technically contains calories, but humans can't digest it... therefore yes, it should technically be 5 cal/g (and is listed as so), but it's 0 cals for our purposes.