Dealing with stress/ depression

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
A recent visit to my Dr. resulted in me getting a scrip for an anti-depressant. My general health is good, but I work in a very stressful environment, and it seems to be carrying over into my personal life(my wife's assessment). After talking about this with my Dr., he recommended an anti-depressant. I don't know that I want to go that route. I'm 41 and in good health otherwise. I workout 4 days a week. Good diet.Don't smoke or drink. Anyone had similar issues? Any OTC supps that might help? Would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'm on anti-depressants myself, Paxil actually, and it's helped me an incredible amount no more anxiety, depression or panic attacks, thank god! I think a couple things would be good for you, a sleep aid such as REM by USP Labs or Lean Dreams by ALRI, if your sleep is off our ability to handle stress will be poor. Also ALRI's Restore would be excellent, it will lower estrogen, boost testosterone and lower cortisol. So your mood will be boosted from the extra testosterone and your stress will be lowered from the lower cortisol. You can try 5-htp stacked with St Johns wart if you want but personally i'd just go for the anti-depressants.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Look into MRM's relax all, it has been receiving a lot of positive reviews. Sorry to hear about your problem.:wave:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Ya i wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy it's very common and just plain horrible to go through.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I would deal with the source of the problem before jumping on the anti-depressant bandwagon.

GABA, or Phenibut (from GABA) is good, so is Ashwangdha and Bacopa Monniera. During stressful times I have taken these and felt better.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Addressing the source is crucial. How long have you felt this way? Your screen name is 'nightshift' ..so I am assuming you work nights? If so that may be a big part of the problem (and one you can improve with otc supplements to some degree).

What is your line of work and schedule? How much sleep are you getting (and has the amount or time of sleep changed recently?).

Some people can benefit from anti-depressants IF the right one is used. The goal is to correct the defiency. The problem for instance, is someone that is not deficient in serotonin is given an ssri. They may feel better, but now the imbalances are even greater and it will become a problem down the road.

Any info on your diet, sleep patterns, stresses, etc will help people give you better suggestions.

Also, some simple behavioral changes can do wonders. If you are stressed at work, what are you doing to relax/calm yourself before you enter your home? Some people can easily leave work at work and not bring home any of the worries and concerns with them. Other people have to but more effort in separating work and home life.

TSC

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You may want to try out IBE's new Gaba product when it hits the market soon.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I had used Paxil for a year and switched to Lexapro after the sides became too problematic....loose bowels and odd sexual sides.

I have been on Lexapro for 3 years now and have had ZERO sides. I am just starting to taper off of it to see how my anxiety responds. I have been experimenting with quite a few of the nootropics and will likely start using those instead.

Gumbo

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Thanks for all of the feedback. In response to tsc, my shift runs 4:00pm to 4:00am, Monday thru Thursday. There has been alot of overtime lately though. I am an operations supervisor for a defense contractor, and we are under constant scrutiny to meet deadlines and schedules. I'm getting 6-7 hrs sleep, which is about right for me. My diet is pretty solid. I try to maintain a 40-40-20% split with my protein,carbs, and fats. One cheat day per week. About a month ago, I finished an Activate/ Lean Extreme cycle and felt great. As suggested by another post here, the cortisol control may have more to do with this than I thought. I'd really like to avoid the scrip route if I can. Any thoughts on using SAMe for this.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Gumbo was it delayed ejaculation? I had that for a while, the ladies didn't mind but i sure as hell did, lol. I found it took time but all the sides went away.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have found in my years of experience with stress and depression that LAUGHTER is by far my best for of treatment.

I take myself, my issues, my cares, and responsibilities too seriously most of the time. I am always overly stressed and overwhelmed with things.

I have used a couple scripts in the past and they do relieve symptoms for a short period until they run their course of effectiveness. The greatest source of my problems is me and my temperment.

Laugh, outloud, at yourself and someone else on a regular basis. Lighten up and enjoy yourself more.

JMHO.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I used to be a real perfectionist so when your like that nothing is ever good enough so your always letting yourself down. And ya laughter is good but if you clinically depressed like i was you CAN'T laugh, all i could do was cry, i didn't even smile for like 2 months.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Gumbo was it delayed ejaculation? I had that for a while, the ladies didn't mind but i sure as hell did, lol. I found it took time but all the sides went away.
dude i recently started paxil and had the same problem for the first time the other night with my wife. I ended up not finishing at all. You said that it does go away though? god I hopoe so cuz i cant take sides like that. I go long enough as it is. Sooo frustrating....

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Well it went away for me, it also has lowered my sex drive. And i hear ya, frustrating as HELL.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And ya laughter is good but if you clinically depressed like i was you CAN'T laugh, all i could do was cry, i didn't even smile for like 2 months.
Oh I know what you mean. But, until I can get bloodwork that diagnosis depression, I'm not to sure 'clinical' is not just a medical term to make being medicated a reasonable remedy.

Medication without behavior modification is not a long term solution. Both are required for long term resolution. JMO.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't agree with the part about needing to have it confirmed but i DO agree with needing behaviour modification, when i got my focus back i read all i could on depression and anxiety and have changed the way I think and react to situations that bothered me before. I simply went in to the doctors office because i was sobing uncontrollably, i had a panic attack in one of my classes and it scared the **** outta me, then when i got home i like a mental break down. Couldn't eat much slept 23 hours a day for like a week, then i listed off EVERY symptom of depression. So i think they should list their symptoms then let the doctor decide, but also go to a counciler and read up on copeing strategies for sure! I do know what you mean though sometimes doc's are quick to dish out the anti-depressants. My sister was on some for a while and didn't even need them she just wanted attention if you ask me which is pathetic to say the least.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, as far as the symptoms and diagnosis go; some symptoms can have medical cause and some a psych one.

I too had so many classic symptoms. I got medicated. I then learned to deal with my issues better and dropped the meds.

I still have the triggers and still fall victim from time to time but have decided that I want to change my behaviors to cope as opposed to coping by medicating. Sveral months into being medicated the initail improvemnt wore off and I still had to face myself and my issues issue.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all of the feedback. In response to tsc, my shift runs 4:00pm to 4:00am, Monday thru Thursday. There has been alot of overtime lately though. I am an operations supervisor for a defense contractor, and we are under constant scrutiny to meet deadlines and schedules. I'm getting 6-7 hrs sleep, which is about right for me. My diet is pretty solid. I try to maintain a 40-40-20% split with my protein,carbs, and fats. One cheat day per week. About a month ago, I finished an Activate/ Lean Extreme cycle and felt great. As suggested by another post here, the cortisol control may have more to do with this than I thought. I'd really like to avoid the scrip route if I can. Any thoughts on using SAMe for this.
I would consider using melatonin for the mornings you work (ie, get off of work) since you are working all nights. Adaptagens might work very well for you as they help relieve stress and its effects from several angles. There are products that have a combination of adaptagens that may help (like REM which has bacopa and aswagandha) anagen (rhodiola, bacopa, etc). There are several other adaptagens to consider. They are much safer to use than prescription anti-depressants. As you seem to have stress related issues, not depression.

TSC

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You've heard the key advice: Find out the source of your depression. BTW - I would guess it isn't your job - frequently it stems from anger or resentment.

Also, don't be too leery of using the meds. They can help while you work on the root cause.

Good luck.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You've heard the key advice: Find out the source of your depression. BTW - I would guess it isn't your job - frequently it stems from anger or resentment.

Also, don't be too leery of using the meds. They can help while you work on the root cause.

Good luck.
I have to disagree with this. First, it is quite possible it is work. If you have never worked nights, or a rotating shift you don't understand just how much this messes up ... well, everything. Your body is not supposed to function like this. You are basically putting yourself in an environment your body and mind are not designed for, then trying to switch back to what is supposed to be normal. Add additional stresses from the job itself, and the fact everyone else in your life doesn't work this schedule, and doesn't understand how if affects people. The schedule alone creates additional problems with loved ones etc.

Secondly, it is very easy to mess yourself up even more with antidepressants if you 1) don't really need them and 2) get the wrong one if you do actually need something. Getting back to normal in this case becomes much much harder to do. If you get your life and stresses in order, you still have a chemical unbalance to deal with being on anti-depressants. Two wrongs don't make a right. I am not saying there aren't legitimate uses for prescription anti-depressants, but they are extremely over prescribed. Same with ADD and so many other "conditions."

TSC

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Well said tsc. That is exactly what is going on. People who have never dealt with that type of schedule often do not understand the negative effects it has on a person. I appreciate the support. And yes it can be the job. There are tremendous pressures in some fields of work, and that can lead to stress that pours into your personal life. Concentration and relaxation techniques have helped, but when you figure in a 60+ hr work week, that doesn't leave much time for that either.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nightshift,

If you want, email me and I'll get you some more info and possibilities etc. If you become a board supporter you can use the PM system, but I think its not available to regular members still?

TSC

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Fellas - please note that I made it clear it was a guess. That is all it can be; and not even an informed one. A well intended one? You bet. Other than that it is a crap shoot.

I'll share a little more info with you than I normally would: I went through something about 8 years ago that really seriously took a toll on me. BP went through the roof. Night sweats. Waking up every hour or so. Literally - I was a nervous wreck. I felt like I had the living hell beat out of me 7X24. I won't go into what caused it, but it wasn't trivial.

I agree a dramatic change in schedule can throw you for a loop. I didn't read into your post that it was a new change. My bad if it was there. Although I did overlook the 12 hour days. But IT IS POSSIBLE THAT the schedule may not be enough and here is why I say that: When I went to grad school, I was working (mangemet position) full time, remodeling a house, 2 kids and finished the MBA program in 3 years (not the normally scheduled 4). So, I was fairly sleep deprived. This isn't about me, so why the heck am including this? None of that resulted in depression - for me - under those circumstances. Your circumstances may be entirely different' possibly far worse (again, I would have no way of knowing).

What later caused depression was emotional, and really rocked my foundation.

As to meds: Paxil, for me - was a blessing. Without it, I was barely able to function. Believe me, I tried to tough it out, tried herbal alternatives, etc. It simply didn't work. The Paxil did. It is magic? No. Did I like the idea of taking it? Hell no. Do I like taking any kind of meds - no, not at all. Did I use it when I needed it most. Yes. BTW - it can have some crappy effects when weening off it.

Re meds part II: Please take a second look at what I said: "Also, don't be too leery of using the meds. They can help while you work on the root cause." Why did I say that? Honestly, there is a huge and unnecessary stigma about depression and antidepressants. People sometimes avoid taking them because they believe doing so is a sign of weakness or they believe they should be tough enough not to have to rely on them. Properly administered, in small dosages via a competent MD that understands what in the heck I going on with you, and with an appropriate feedback loop, antidepressants are not inherently evil. I would not make the same claim of all meds (e.g., painkillers). I’ll say this – you are far better off with something designed to help you than you would be by pounding down some drinks (depression + depressants = not good).

As was rightfully pointed out, depression - if indeed that is what you have - is a chemical imbalance. Just as with other types of imbalance or dysfunctional balance, it isn't going to magically change without something to cause that change. That change may result from your body adjusting to modified sleep patterns (it is actually far more than this, and there is a great deal of literature available to help you out). On the other hand - if it isn't sleep related, then you might want to look at other alternatives.

Guys - I truly went out of my way to offer what was clearly stated as a guess. Take a look at it again: “BTW - I would guess it isn't your job - frequently it stems from anger or resentment.

I said this for a couple of reasons. First – this has been my experience, and the experience of most of those I’ve spoken with. Secondly - as guys, we are likely to be less willing to look at our “hurts” for a variety of reasons (including not wanting to look like a puss). So, we might be more inclined to look for more logical causes – like work. Make no mistake about it work can be the cause. But there may be a variety of other causes if that isn’t the cause (or if work is only one of many causes). One source of information on depressions says the following: “A serious loss, chronic illness, relationship problems, work stress, family crisis, financial setback, or any unwelcome life change can trigger a depressive episode. Very often, a combination of biological, psychological, and environmental factors are involved in the development of depressive disorders, as well as other psychological problems.” Maybe it is just me, but I see that as being one very one broad list.

Why take time to respond? A couple of the responses to my earlier posting seem to suggest that I was saying that it couldn't be work related. Heck, of course it can.

Look - I'm just some slug willing to offer an opinion/guess based on my experience. Again, there isn't any way that any one of us who took the time to respond can give you anything definitive; although I wish we could.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
dude i recently started paxil and had the same problem for the first time the other night with my wife. I ended up not finishing at all. You said that it does go away though? god I hopoe so cuz i cant take sides like that. I go long enough as it is. Sooo frustrating....
I've read that Wellbutrin (sp?) doesn't have that same side effect.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Beau,

I don't disagree with most of what you've said. My point was not that anti-depressants don't work for depression. However, using anti-depressants when the problem is not depression is dangerous. There are people that need them, and benefit from them. That doesn't excuse the 'fix anything with a pill' mentality that some doctors have. People SHOULD be leary of anything prescribed. I'm not against meds, just YOU have to do research YOURSELF and learn about the sides and everything possible and decide if the possible benefits outway the possible risks. In my experience, I've never had a doctor go into detail on possible sides and negatives unless I specifically asked several questions, even then they've rarily covered it all. Even some of the pharma companies ... uh, just "forgot" to include the parts from their research that there is an increased risk of suicidal thoughts (and actual suicides) in some patients. They had to be sued for this to come out.

You clearly said it was a guess, colored and bolded. I wasn't attacking your view. Having worked (and still working) a rotating schedule which in my mind at least is even worse than just working nights, I can offer insight as to what is going on.

Much of this is most likely stems from the sleep pattern. It can a progressive problem. One can usually adapt quite well in the short term, but its all the time the swap overs eventually wear you down. An anti-depressant is just a band aid in this case. You may feel better mentally, but that will do nothing for the physical stresses that this schedule creates. It won't lower the increased risk of cancer that nightshift workers have due to low melatonin production, etc. etc. etc. All too often the improved mental state (or appearance of) eliminates the desire or perceived need to fix anything else. Again, there are people that need them, but if you look at the history of pharmaceutical advertising in recent times, not too long ago everybody was told they had anxiety issues. Once anti-anxiety drugs came under scrutiny due to addiction and abuse etc, the shift was made to depression. Now anti-depressants are promoted heavily.

TSC

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It turns out our views are more similar than I thought.

I've really pushed every MD I've been to for details on whatever issue was at hand - and see it as my responsibility to read a good deal prior to going in. Hey, it is my body - I darn sure well better have a vested interest in what I am willing to out into it. I push my MD to tell me things and spend time explaining details they might not choose to otherwise share. I might be a PITA to them; I couldn't care. I go rarely enough that when I do go, I want facts.

I really agree with the "no magic pill". Just like weightloss, any time a pill is seen as a "cure all" - no way I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Re antidepressants, unless the problems are dealt with and resolved, it just becomes another lifetime med (treating the symptom, not the problem). I really see that as being true with ADD/ADHD prescriptions. Do they have their place? Yes - but I would argue they are way, way overprescribed.

z28man

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old thread, but I could really use some help. I've struggled with depression since I was 13. Been on and off meds during that time frame. Some seemed to work, others not. I've tried lots of herbal alternatives to no avail and I'm completely frustrated with my quality of life. It feels impossible to become happy, I've got so freaking much to be happy about! I was using Zoloft and it worked pretty well for me. It wasnt a cure all, it just allowed me to not be bothered by every tiny little stress that life threw my way. I found a little lady who I've been very serious with and plan to marry. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever been with, and I started having difficulty performing at times. Not even interested most times, and this was just a low dose of Zoloft. The sexual sides were too much. I heard Welbutrin didnt have the sexual sides so I wanted to try it. No sexual sides but hardly any relief from my depression. I've felt my depression/anxiety get as bad as when I was a teenager lately. I don't want to be around anyone, being by myself is the easiest thing for me because I only have myself to answer to. But the more time I spend my myself, the more I have a negitive internal dialogue. I want to find a med that works, without the nasty sexual sides and do it write this time by talking with a professional and reading as much literature on the subject as possible. I've heard some things on Lexapro, does it have the sexual sides like Zoloft and Paxil? BTW, my doc is a freakin idiot, I don't have much faith in him so I try to research for myself when I can. Thanks for any help!!!