Article Ideas/Topics Wanted

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
What would you guys like to read about? I'll post more on the subjects that I see a particularly common interest in, and I'll write full-blown articles on topics that I also have a personal interested in. Brainstorm away, I'm open to anything from controversies, noncontroversies, dead horses that refuse to go quietly, all the way to live ones begging to be beaten down. No idea is a bad one.

Thanks.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
The main thing I would like to read more about is carb cycling for bulking and cutting.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The myth of meal frequency....or is it? ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's another one. People consume WAY to much protein while bulking.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAA/EEA's...when is it too much?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post workout. Yes, insulin is a bit overrated but that doesn't mean you eliminate it!!!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no magic diet. There is only the magic of a structured diet.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overcoming insulin resistance, (in general), and it effects on diets to grow LBM and diets to cut BF.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
The myth of meal frequency....or is it? ;)
Thats the first Ive ever heard of any discrepency in that, would love to hear more.

Also since you said you dont mind beating dead horse subjects I still wonder about all the arguing between people who would rather die than eat carbs and fats in the same meal and the ones who dont think twice about it.. (is there any truth/ benefits to minding p/c/f together in an attempt to eleiminate a chance of fat gain?)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
O and during w/o nutrition, is there a leading canidate (water/ BCAA, Protein?)

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Post work-out carbs--- What kind, and how much is enough/too much.

I'll second the BCAA stuff... How much (if any) is usefull.

R

rkieltyk

Awards
carboyhdrate timing, i.e. only carbs around workout, or morning.

pre workout nutrition breakdown/timing.

A

anabolicandre

Awards
Im actually writing an article for my class on EAA/BCAA supplementation ill post it when its done.

R

rkieltyk

Awards
oh and one more...

can adequate calories give you enough energy/recovery ability to hit the gym alot. (2x a day every other day, or everyday doing push/pull with varying exercises)

might be more of a training question but owell

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Great topics. I will definitely tackle & wrestle with these. And whoever wants to post your own articles & whatnot, go for it, I think it's great to see different angles on things. As with everything, expect some dissent from me when I can't hold back on stuff I disagree with, & I'll expect the same. Looking forward to the discussions. Keep the ideas coming..

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Just some ideas:

* How people trying to lose weight avoid Fats - Argh
* Post workout: What is optimal
* MCT's: What's the deal?
* Protein Cycling: Casein, Whey...For optimal Growth
* How to Bulk with HPB (avoiding red meat, etc)
* How to Bulk without getting a beer belly
* How to Bulk while keeping fat gain at a minimum
* Foods vs. Supplements
* Why supplement with Aminos when I already drink protein?

L

littlemack

Awards
Im actually writing an article for my class on EAA/BCAA supplementation ill post it when its done.
Finally. I don't know how many people are missing the boat by not incorporating BCAA's into their training. BCAA's is where its at.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
I dont' know how to phrase the topic but...an article on how much money/time people waste on buying every supplement out there and how useless most supps are when they should be concentrating on a perfect diet/training instead of the magic pills

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I dont' know how to phrase the topic but...an article on how much money/time people waste on buying every supplement out there and how useless most supps are when they should be concentrating on a perfect diet/training instead of the magic pills
Where can I purchase these 'magic pills' you speak of

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
You can PM me and I have some "super beans" for sale - they will get you jacked, lean as can be, huge as your imagination can take you - ohh and dont' forget you will get 352.5% greater levels of every hormone in your body - all for $44.95 :) but you must be on a balanced diet/exercise program

R

rkieltyk

Awards
You can PM me and I have some "super beans" for sale - they will get you jacked, lean as can be, huge as your imagination can take you - ohh and dont' forget you will get 352.5% greater levels of every hormone in your body - all for $44.95 :) but you must be on a balanced diet/exercise program
do you accept paypal or should i just send cash? will i need to run post cycle therapy?

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
please send money order to my PO box in zimbabwean - PM for Po address :)

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
hmmm yesh yesh.

magic beans make people instantly disappear from the gym floor.

I remember years ago I had such bad gas I literally cleared out the weight room. It was classic.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Looking over this thread, there's a lot of interest in timing of nutrients. Also, BCAA was mentioned about 5x. I think my 1st writeup will be on BCAA, and is it okay if there's no pics of barely dressed women after each paragraph? I don't wanna cause any uproar.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
and is it okay if there's no pics of barely dressed women after each paragraph? I don't wanna cause any uproar.
What kind of board do you think this is? That is completely unacceptable unless you get a note from the members.

:D

N

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Frankly I still would like the whole fasted/low intensity cardio vs. high intensity cardio to be tackled once and for all... I know from what I read from Alan he's a guru of sorts, but doesn't believe in low intensity cardio, whereas I've never seen Bobo proven wrong about exercise/training, and he favors low intensity. Let the battle begin *ding ding ding*

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Frankly I still would like the whole fasted/low intensity cardio vs. high intensity cardio to be tackled once and for all... I know from what I read from Alan he's a guru of sorts, but doesn't believe in low intensity cardio, whereas I've never seen Bobo proven wrong about exercise/training, and he favors low intensity. Let the battle begin *ding ding ding*
I don't want anyone to be mislead into thinking I'm against low intensity steady state (LISS) cardio. I simply don't agree that one is blanketly superior to the other, since they both have their pro's & con's, and they both have their potential place in a program. The major advantage of HIIT is the economy of time spent. The major advantage of LISS is the reduction of injury risk associated with higher velocity work. I see this as a personal preference/tolerance thing specific to the individual, not an absolute either-or issue.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Here's another one. People consume WAY to much protein while bulking.

:think:

I thought you recommended lots of protein when bulking?

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it low. :)

Alan tends to speak in terms of covering all bases and a wider crowd unless otherwise stated. I tend to speak on a more limited crowd, therefore when discussing certain topics you have to take the situation and goal into question.

Preference of cardio has everything to do with you current resistance training program. Since most of my clients tend to workout 5x/week it makes little sense for me to tell them to perform HIIT another 4x/week.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What would you guys like to read about? I'll post more on the subjects that I see a particularly common interest in, and I'll write full-blown articles on topics that I also have a personal interested in. Brainstorm away, I'm open to anything from controversies, noncontroversies, dead horses that refuse to go quietly, all the way to live ones begging to be beaten down. No idea is a bad one.

Thanks.
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
If he took my "magic Beans" I bet 800% farther than he could without:fart:

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
That would require a triple-blind (that's when you blind the statistician as well as the investigators & subjects) placebo-controlled multicenter intervention trial, preferably replicated 5x.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Only thing Im interested in would be about non-responders :) Only "oral" products I respond to are food and stims so I have a personal interest in this :)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
theres an ongoing thread about diet sodas going on right now. i would love to hear an experts opinion as to weather any artificial sweeteners are detrimental to your physique and if they impact insulin in any way. i have absolutely no interest as to weather or not they are safe for my health. im stubborn like that:twisted:

this has probably been covered before so illrun a search to try to dig up some info brought up here in the past. alan, i would appreciate it if you could contribute to the above mentioned thread.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
:think:

I thought you recommended lots of protein when bulking?
im sure the reasoning behind too much protein during bulking has to do with the increased amount of cals, especially in the form of carbs and fats, sparing protein so not as much is required as one may think. protein potentially has the fate to convert to glucose or fats via the liver, but a greater portion of the amino acids will do what they are intended (muscle building) in a surplus because this conversion isnt as necessary with the presence of more carbs/fats included in your diet.

that is my speculation, but i am a finance major:blink:

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
theres an ongoing thread about diet sodas going on right now. i would love to hear an experts opinion as to weather any artificial sweeteners are detrimental to your physique and if they impact insulin in any way. i have absolutely no interest as to weather or not they are safe for my health. im stubborn like that:twisted:

this has probably been covered before so illrun a search to try to dig up some info brought up here in the past. alan, i would appreciate it if you could contribute to the above mentioned thread.
Apparently there's no significant effect of aspartame on insulin:

Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Mar;49(3):427-32.
Aspartame and its constituent amino acids: effects on prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, insulin, and glucose in normal humans.

Carlson HE, Shah JH.
Medical and Research Services, Northport and Harry S Truman Memorial VA Hospitals, NY 11768.

Because large doses of phenylalanine stimulate prolactin secretion in man, we studied the acute effects of oral doses of aspartame (0.534 g, equivalent to the amount of aspartame in approximately 1 L beverage), aspartic acid (0.242 g), and phenylalanine (0.3 and 1.0 g) on serum prolactin and other hormones in normal humans. Prolactin was not stimulated by any of the aspartame meals, aspartic acid, or 0.3 g phenylalanine; a small rise in serum prolactin, similar to that produced by a high-protein mixed meal, followed ingestion of 1.0 g phenylalanine. Serum growth hormone showed no statistically significant changes in response to any of the experimental meals whereas cortisol and insulin fell slightly and glucose rose slightly during each of the meals. We conclude that these doses of aspartame do not alter secretion of prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, or insulin in normal individuals.

Negative impact of aspartame on bodycomp is highly unlikely. Health is another story. There is no data I could find on the direct measurement of insulinogenesis via sucralose, but it's probably negligible.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Thanks for the ideas & votes for ideas, everyone. Keep'm coming.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Apparently there's no significant effect of aspartame on insulin:

Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Mar;49(3):427-32.
Aspartame and its constituent amino acids: effects on prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, insulin, and glucose in normal humans.

Carlson HE, Shah JH.
Medical and Research Services, Northport and Harry S Truman Memorial VA Hospitals, NY 11768.

Because large doses of phenylalanine stimulate prolactin secretion in man, we studied the acute effects of oral doses of aspartame (0.534 g, equivalent to the amount of aspartame in approximately 1 L beverage), aspartic acid (0.242 g), and phenylalanine (0.3 and 1.0 g) on serum prolactin and other hormones in normal humans. Prolactin was not stimulated by any of the aspartame meals, aspartic acid, or 0.3 g phenylalanine; a small rise in serum prolactin, similar to that produced by a high-protein mixed meal, followed ingestion of 1.0 g phenylalanine. Serum growth hormone showed no statistically significant changes in response to any of the experimental meals whereas cortisol and insulin fell slightly and glucose rose slightly during each of the meals. We conclude that these doses of aspartame do not alter secretion of prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, or insulin in normal individuals.

Negative impact of aspartame on bodycomp is highly unlikely. Health is another story. There is no data I could find on the direct measurement of insulinogenesis via sucralose, but it's probably negligible.
awesome info, that was exactly what i was lookin for