Nutrient timing?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.39%

Nutrient timing?

After reading a thousand different articles over the years, Im not entirely sure where I got this idea from, maybe Berardi. Is it ideal to eat the majority of your carbs early in the day and switch to fat and protein (with minimal carbs) meals towards the end of the day? The purpose would be to minimize fat gain when bulking. This makes sense to me on some levels, mostly the controlling of insulin levels. But fat is still the macro most easily stored as adipose tissue and Im not sure if it is ideal to eat a fat/protein meal just before bed. Does anyone else do this or have any pertinent knowledge?

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.17%

Not all fat is easily stored as body fat. If you are getting in plenty of Omega 3's, they actually aid in the fat burning process and are used up by the body as energy. They also do not spike your insulin levels which is one of the main causes of storing body fat.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

But if you work out towards the end of the day then you gotta have P + C in your Post workout meal

BTW, additional fats do not slow down digestion all the time.

Why is Berardi saying P + C = FAT storage when proteins are the macronutrient that is less likely to store as fat and then he says C + F are good when those macronutrients are more likely to be stored as fat ? Doesn't make sense to me, this of course assuming caloric deficits are the same.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Why is Berardi saying P + C = FAT storage when proteins are the macronutrient that is less likely to store as fat and then he says C + F are good when those macronutrients are more likely to be stored as fat ? Doesn't make sense to me, this of course assuming caloric deficits are the same.
    I believe that is because P+C causes major insulin spike(this is just something I remember reading). Along with at a caloric deficit you wouldnt store fat, since your at a deficit????? Maybe I am missing something on that, but the P+C thing I remember reading causes a bigger spike than C+F(assuming C are fiberous).
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.74%

Quote Originally Posted by lilkev42
    I believe that is because P+C causes major insulin spike(this is just something I remember reading). Along with at a caloric deficit you wouldnt store fat, since your at a deficit????? Maybe I am missing something on that, but the P+C thing I remember reading causes a bigger spike than C+F(assuming C are fiberous).
    Good point, I forgot to mention the use of low GI carbs with protein. You can eat a snickers bar with a chicken tittie OR you can eat some broccoli, brown rice, with a chicken tittie.

BTW, I can't believe I'm discussing this on a Friday night, this party I'm either really sucks or I'm addicted to AM
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

---
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lilkev42
    P+C does not necessarily cause a major insulin spike. You are also correct that a caloric deficit, in general, will not store fat. Excess calories is what makes you fat; it just happens that excess calories also substantially raise insulin levels (and/or duration). However, increased insulin levels do not always lead to fat gain.

The problem that I have with this theory on how P,C,and F affect insulin is that it is terrible incomplete. Some factors that determine insulin response of a meal are:

- macronutrient breakdown (type and source)
    - quantity of macronutrients
    - body's energy balance
    - activity level
    - body's state of repair (ie 24-48 hours after intense exercise)

The last three or four can be lumped together as 'insulin sensitivity'.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.74%

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    It's your addiction to Titties, understandable and acceptable, living where you do.
    Hey I'll take an addiction to tits any day, those things give me a sore neck from constantly turning my head for a quick glance
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    P+C does not necessarily cause a major insulin spike. You are also correct that a caloric deficit, in general, will not store fat. Excess calories is what makes you fat; it just happens that excess calories also substantially raise insulin levels (and/or duration). However, increased insulin levels do not always lead to fat gain.

The problem that I have with this theory on how P,C,and F affect insulin is that it is terrible incomplete. Some factors that determine insulin response of a meal are:

- macronutrient breakdown (type and source)
    - quantity of macronutrients
    - body's energy balance
    - activity level
    - body's state of repair (ie 24-48 hours after intense exercise)

The last three or four can be lumped together as 'insulin sensitivity'.
    Good post, I take back the whole major saying. Since there are many factors as you correctly stated. I was thinking of the PWO whey+carbs which in a lot of combo's would cause a spike. Whether or not you believe into needed/wanting one is a whole different story. I still think we need to get some real studies to try to see whats really best. Even though it would be difficult to do and to get results that aren't flawed in someway. But we can always hope for a day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nutrient Timing...
    By zachs in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 12:36 PM
  2. Nutrient Timing (the book)
    By Moyer in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
  3. Nutrient Timing Article by John Berardi...
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
  4. Nutrient Timing
    By handzilla in forum Bulking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 05:13 PM