too much or not enough protein??

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
I have a naturally fast metabolism and have always eaten well all my life and I can't gain weight no matter what i eat. I know for bulking I'm supposed to eat like 2 g's of protein per pound of body weight. I'm 6'2" at 175 around 11% bodyfat. so i'd have to eat like 350 g's of protein per day. i usually eat like 4 eggs in the morning with two huge scoops of peanut butter, a protein shake a few hours later (44g of protein) and about 8-10 oz grilled chicken and 8-10 oz eitherchicken again or beef. In between this i load up and carbs like fruits and veggaies, oatmeal, ice cream, and whatever else i can get my hands on. the two major issues i have are one, i should be getting more protein but it gives me unbearable gas at these levels, and two, even when i eat more then three people combined i still can't gain a pound. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
2g/lb is too much, what does your calorie intake/macro breakdown look like?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
agreed, 2g/lb. is overkill.

I guarantee you that if you write down your diet for a week, you'll see that you are flucuating all over the place. IF you can't name the amount of macro's you get on a daily basis off the top of your head, then it's not working. Try it out and you'll see what I mean. The most important thing about a solid clean diet is consistency. Every day you have to take in the amount of P/F/C that you have outlined. Figure out your BMR, add ~500 cal/day over that, develop a diet that's ~ 40/40/20 P/C/F respectively, stick to it and watch what happens. Good luck. :)

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I guarantee you that if you write down your diet for a week, you'll see that you are flucuating all over the place. IF you can't name the amount of macro's you get on a daily basis off the top of your head, then it's not working. Try it out and you'll see what I mean. The most important thing about a solid clean diet is consistency. Every day you have to take in the amount of P/F/C that you have outlined. Figure out your BMR, add ~500 cal/day over that, develop a diet that's ~ 40/40/20 P/C/F respectively, stick to it and watch what happens. Good luck. :)

SB- I have 1.8-2.0 grams per body pound...............

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not sure if this will be relevant, but I have put a 'soft cap' so to speak on my dietary protein intake at around 300 grams, as I see no real benefit in exceeding that. If you are in the younger age range, and an ecto, it is wise to take advantage of our extremely fast metabolisms and insulin sensitivity, as we are able to promote more glycogen storage with a lessened propensity for fat storage.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Poor Pit, if thats all the bigger it is I really feel for your poor wife :( Im so sorry to hear this news :(

:type: FnF tries to scan internet for special growth pills for Pit

OHHH your sooo funny! :bruce1: Just wait till tonight when you need a spot! :run:

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established

that sounds like a good idea so when i figure out what all this means later i'll do it lol...but yea, i'm positive i eat almost exactly the same thing everyday. i get up at 4:30 am for work and usually don't get home till 7 or 8. i have to pack my meals and the only timely way to do it is make a ton of everything and eat the same stuff everyday. but i've been writing down all my exercises and weights so i might as well track my diet and see how it goes. i'm not that knowledgable on diet so i need to learn a lot. thanks for the input.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established

so if i set out specific guidlines is it ok to go over them some days, as long as i always meet or exceed them? assuming i'm not worried about gaining fat, which i'm not worried about.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
If you are bulking you always want to hit your requirements for the day at a minimum, so yes you are correct. You will put on some additional fat when bulking, the key is not to add too much fat too soon. You can gage this by measurements and the mirror. Good luck :)

so if i set out specific guidlines is it ok to go over them some days, as long as i always meet or exceed them? assuming i'm not worried about gaining fat, which i'm not worried about.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
i was just reading about what the 40/40/20 meant...i never even knew ratios mattered, i always thought it was eat as much as protein as possible and as much other stuff as you can without getting fat lol...the next few days are going to take me to another level of knowledge and hopefully they will put me on the road to solving this problem. thank you very much!

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
your welcome. There's a lot of great basic knowledge in this forum as well as some of the other popular sites. Macros are extremely important. Here's an example for you: Say you want to take in 4000 cal/day at a 40/40/20 PCF macro level. That would be 1600 cals from protein or 400g, 1600 cals from carbs or 400g, and 800 cals from fat or 89g. Now if you didn't pay attenditon to your macro levels, you could easily get the same amount of cals but may look like this: 800 cals from Protein or 200g, 1200 cals from carbs or 300g, and 2000 cals from fat or 222g. That would take you down the wrong path and you'd be fat in no time eating like that.

i was just reading about what the 40/40/20 meant...i never even knew ratios mattered, i always thought it was eat as much as protein as possible and as much other stuff as you can without getting fat lol...the next few days are going to take me to another level of knowledge and hopefully they will put me on the road to solving this problem. thank you very much!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
It all comes down to total caloric intake, that will determine how much weight you gain, then the break down of those calories will determine if it's fat, water, muscle or a combination of all three. I think the 40/40/20 split that was mentioned earlier is good. And ya 2g's per lb of bodyweight is overkill, i normally go to 1.5g's TOPS. Make sure your getting lots of rest and aren't overtraining as well. Start with around 3500 calories so 350g's protein, 350g's carbs and 78g's fat. If your not putting on any weight or not putting on weight fast enough then SLOWLY increase your calories by around 100 a day for 5 days then see if your putting on weight, if not continue to up them in this fashion.

Also keep this inmind:

1g of protein=4 calories
1g of carbs=4 calories
1g of fat=9 calories

So when you up your calories just subtract 40% then divide by 4 to get your carbs and protein for a day, and for the fat just subtract 20% and divide by 9.

It really isn't THAT complicated but remember it comes down to calories, so get yourself a log book and write down the protein, carb, fat and calorie breakdown of every meal. Also don't drop cardio, this is a big mistake and is needed for general health, plus it'll help keep body fat down and increase protein synthesis. It will cause more calories to be burned though so just keep upping those calories till you start gaining muscle. Expect to put on some fat as well this is normal.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
IMO I'd take that ice cream out of your diet and replace it with some fat free yogurt or something rather. Also, is that natty pb you are eating or regular peter pan brand?

364DP

Awards
I'm sure if you've been around the board for a bit you already know, but fitday.com will make your life a lot easier. I know I found the thought of keeping track of all those calculations in my head a little daunting and therefore never did a very good job but I gotta say fitday really helped me step my game up and get over my diet stressing. I'd really recommend taking a week and logging everything and see what you come up with, you might be very surprised at the results, I know I was not eating nearly as well or consistently as I had thought. But it's really simple, free, and helpful so you can't go wrong.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
thanks for everyones help...yea i just found that fit day website but i haven't had time to do it yet prob later today. is natural pb better then like peter pan or jiffy, i just figured they still had a lot of protein and good fat?? and i really like ice cream and i figured it would be a good way to get more fat thats not good?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Jiffy and all those other brands of peanut butter are crap they are loaded with icing sugar and margarine. That's why they all have that same texture, go out and get yourself some natural peanut butter, you'll never go back to Jiffy. If you try jiffy after the natural stuff you'll taste all the fillers and crap in it. And no ice cream is NOT a good source of fats, lol. Try to only eat ice cream once a week, the rest of the time substitute it with frozen yogurt. Check for the natural PB at Costco that's where i get mine and it's in 2kg tubs, i love the stuff. Also Hempseed oil, flaxseed oil, avacados, olive oil, all sources of GOOD fats.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
so what if i don't count the ice cream into the minimum requirments of my diet and it doesn't make me fat, it won't hurt right? also, nuts/peanut butter are a source of good fats protein and carbs right, its basiclly an all around good food?

mrallnatural

Awards
Actually your daily activity level, stress levels, etc dictates to some extent what levels you should have you Protein/Carb/Fats at.

On my more active days I take my P/C/F levels higher than on low activity days.

How much water do you drink? With your Protein level quite high make sure you drink at least a gallon or more of H2O. If you don't your kidneys will pay the price......

muscles

Awards
I Use 2 Grams Of Protien For Each Lb Of Body Weight, Along With Other Supplements. Im 217lbs Bench 2 And Half Times My Weight. All Natural... Be Happy To Share.