Healthy Junk Food Quiz

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
7/11 but I dont get why number 10 was wrong?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
11/11...I just waited until it told me which had more calories and went with the one with the least. Got a score of 495

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Man, I dont know where to start with this.

This should have been called 'The Less Sh**ty Junk Food Quiz'. It's still all crap and suggests that 'healthy' junk food choices can be made.

It's like saying a .38 cal slug to the head is preferable to a .45...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
11/11...I just waited until it told me which had more calories and went with the one with the least. Got a score of 495
Same here.

Nitrox: I wouldn't totally agree with that. People are going to eat some junk here and there by nature. No matter what food or diet you're presented with there is always likely to be an alternative judged to healthier by a significant amount of people. Knowing the blatantly unhealthy **** to avoid does help some. I know a guy who lost quite a bit of weight making such decisions. When he felt like having McDonalds he did for example, he just didn't have any fries or soda. Stuck with the sandwiches. Lost some good weight like that too. Basically by eliminating worst of the junk the typical American could save quite a few calories in the end at the very least.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nitrox: I wouldn't totally agree with that. People are going to eat some junk here and there by nature. No matter what food or diet you're presented with there is always likely to be an alternative judged to healthier by a significant amount of people. Knowing the blatantly unhealthy **** to avoid does help some. I know a guy who lost quite a bit of weight making such decisions. When he felt like having McDonalds he did for example, he just didn't have any fries or soda. Stuck with the sandwiches. Lost some good weight like that too. Basically by eliminating worst of the junk the typical American could save quite a few calories in the end at the very least.
Of course. Glass half full and glass half empty, both are valid observations. Anytime someone makes lifestyle changes that improve their health one way or another is always a good thing. The point that I was trying to make is that articles like this one effectively condone a harmful diet by associating the term 'healthy' with 'junk food.' Some people are observant enough to make the distinction but many are not.

Like you say, people are going to eat some junk, but the reality is that a big chunk of the population fills the bulk of its diet with junk food. This article does nothing to address that problem. Sure selecting a cinnamon bun option that has 500 calories instead of 800 is better but is it better than a 500 cal turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat with vegs?

Anyways, I know you know your stuff, I'm just being the idealist here. We all know that reality usually gets in the way...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Anyways, I know you know your stuff, I'm just being the idealist here. We all know that reality usually gets in the way...
I agree, and I'm not against idealism at all. And I guess the ultimate reality is that the only people taking this quiz are likely to be health conscious already, so I doubt it's accomplishing much.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What does in so many people is when they suddenly adopt some radical change in diet/lifestyle but lose hope when they don't seen quick results.

Small changes add up over time and once people see the results, they are often better prepared psychologically to make more drastic changes.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol When I want junk food... And this is on a VERY rare occassion... Heh, you guys are gonna laugh. lol I reach for chocolate chips. Yeah man, sometimes I'll eat half a bag of those jokers. This might happen three to four times a year, but when it happens... it happens. I've been known to eat a bag of 'em. lol Oh, 8/11 by the way. I wouldn't eat any of that.