Do you wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake?

Do you wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake?

• Yes I do

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • No I don't

Votes: 114 85.7%

• Total voters

rake922

Awards
Do you wake up for a protein shake then go back to bed?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hell no. I would hate to interupt my sleep like that.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't PURPOSELY wake up but when i do i'm normally hungry so i grab a shake, maybe cottage cheese or some chicken.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I would never set an alarm to do this, if I were to wake up to piss I might grab something, probably not because I'm to lazy at night. But you should never set an alarm from this, you need as much uninterrupted sleep as you can get!

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
No...

Even if I did wake up to piss and was hungry I would not further disrupt my sleep by taking the time to prepare something to eat or drink.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I try not to eat anything after 6pm or so, I know i should have a no/low carb snack to keep my metabolism going but, i can' think of what to eat, and i'm not kranking the blender up at 12pm to wake up the house.

Sometimes i do start my day with some isolade zero carb protein with water..... and sometimes end my day with that 2.

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
well i have to get up and piss in the middle of the night anyway so i keep a 40 g of protein drink sittin on the nightstand next to me so after i come back from the bathroom i chug half and go back to sleep ! , of course i prepare that drink just b4 i go to sleep made with water.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Nope, I don't wake up through the night anyway so I just take a casein shake before I goto bed.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
that's a good idea water logged, I always have a 64oz stein next to my bed and i wake up 3 or four times to take a sip to go back to sleep, throw some isolade zero carb in there, and i'll be golden.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
I take a shake just before but and never set my alarm to wake up purposefully. Actually, ever since I have been taking USP Labs REM3G, I rarely wake up in the middle of the night at all. However... before REM3G.... if I did wake up to hit the head, I would knock back a Muscle Milk RTD. Quickest and easiet 42 grams of protein ever. Half the time I wouldn't even remember doing it but would see the empty carton in the trash in the morning.

ICEBERG

Awards
I will drink one if I wake-up but I make sure that I take one just before bed to close off the day.

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
I pop some amino tabs, they are on my night stand, grab a handful and head to the bathroom.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nope, I don't wake up through the night anyway so I just take a casein shake before I goto bed.
me too. I eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so I see no need to interupt my sleep to eat at night.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i do if i get up. experts in sleep say to get 8 hrs strait without any interuptions or noise. if i do get up in the middle of the night ill get a shake. (if im concious enough to relize it)

seriously guys sometimes ill get up eat a snack like soem combos or somethign and not relize it intill the middle when im eating and my mother will say John your not supposed to be eating that. and i go o **** and quick stop it and get a shake.

for the most part i conciously try to get a protein shake in if i get up I dont wake myself up on purpose(used too) like Jay cutler does or many pro bbers do .

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
No that's stupid. Why interupt your growth?
If I do happen to wake up tho, I have a Amino cocktail in my fridge and I'll take a couple gulps of that and go back to bed.

rbuecker

rbuecker

Awards
  • Established
i do if i get up. experts in sleep say to get 8 hrs strait without any interuptions or noise. if i do get up in the middle of the night ill get a shake. (if im concious enough to relize it)
experts in sleep dont have diabetic cats that are DYING TO EAT AT 4AM~!@#(()!@#!@

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wake up and take about 5 scoops of xtend, and 5-10grams of glutamine. I set an alarm for approx half way through my sleep.

I literally always have to piss when I wake up so this is the perfect opportunity to do both. Anecdotally I have experienced faster recovery and less DOMS, even during times of higher intensity training.

Jacob Wilson (aka venom) wrote the following in one of his practical application guides:

What should I consume during my Mid Sleep Meal?

I advice setting the alarm in mid sleep, and having a shake next to your bed. I typically mix a mixture of EAAs for caloric efficiency, with a protein powder. To slow digestion I consume EPA in the form of fish oil pills. Further, I include HMB to further hinder protein degradation, as well as glutamine. Shoot for at least 3 grams of leucine here.
If you want to slightly slow digestion, but keep calories low, have EAAs, and consume only a small amount of cottage cheese, such as a fourth cup. The opioid peptides in it should slow gastric emptying.

Sample Pre and MidSleep Meal

Pre Bed

1 cup cottage cheese
1 to 2 scoops of amino acid shooter
fish oil pills amounting to at least a 1 to 1.5 grams of EPA
1 gram of HMB
5-10 grams of glutamine

Mid Sleep

10 grams of essential amino acids, containing at least 3 grams of leucine to restore protein synthesis
¼ cup casein
1 to 1.5 grams of EPA
1 gram of HMB
5-10 grams of glutamine

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I get up for a piss at 2-3am, then drink a scoop of Poseidon by my bed.

At 4.30am I'll drink a blended P-Slin meal of oats, banana, whey - then go back to sleep for 1.5hrs before my workout.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Only when I was gaining weight would i have a shake ready for my middle of the night piss...this worked wonders for me. Those extra grams of protein were needed to help me recover. I was up anyways so why not.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Likewise..If I wake up I am usually hungry so I slam a quick shake and then back to lala land

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I'll do one before bed. usually if i wake up i pee then fall back into bed :)

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
This is so stupid. Who does this? I mean really.

Solid REM sleep is far more important for long term fitness goals than waking up hungry in the morning.

AUTO

Awards
  • Established
sometimes i start the bbq up have a steak do 50 sit ups. nothing better than midnight feeds

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I would NEVER fall back to sleep if I did that.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
If I happen to wake up and take a piss then I'll chug a shake before I go back to sleep otherwise no.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am such a deep sleeper as it is. I don't even wake up to go to the bathroom. There is no way in hell I could imagine getting up and shaking the **** out of a blender bottle. I would most likely leave the biggest mess known to man and quite possibly drink bleach or something. I am so out of it in the morning, I couldn't imagine what it would be like in the middle of the night! :jaw:

joelast

joelast

Awards
the theory behind waking up and pounding a shake is good but sleep is way to valuable to me. I wish i could hook it up with an IV

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I usually drink a casein protein shake before I go to bed, so there is no need to drink one

bmacy168

bmacy168

Awards
i recently invested in a nightcap zma and casein protein and i have not been waking up at night at all. when i do wake up in the morning i have to piss really bad. the better sleep has helped my training a great deal already, im hoping i continue to rest so well. i tried tryptophan pills and did not get any results but the zma doesnt necessarilly help me get to sleep but once im out, im out.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Why would you do that? EAt cottage cheese before bed, it takes roughly 6 hours to digest and if you mix if with fat then it take even longer. No need to interrupt sleep, it you have a good diet you'll have all the protein you need from daily meals. Sleep isn't a time where you use any energy so provided you get enough protein in the day 1 gram/lbs of bw you're fine.

boo99

boo99

Awards
Why would you do that? EAt cottage cheese before bed, it takes roughly 6 hours to digest and if you mix if with fat then it take even longer. No need to interrupt sleep, it you have a good diet you'll have all the protein you need from daily meals. Sleep isn't a time where you use any energy so provided you get enough protein in the day 1 gram/lbs of bw you're fine.

totally true and thats what I do------I add some fish oil in there or canola oil--- down it and bed....

in the ole days before whey the classic BBs------had to do this-- they relied alot on Cottage Cheese and its kinda tasty too-------yum :)

purebred

i would suppose good sleep would be much more essential than worrying about eating while you're sleeping. especially if you're attempting to gain weight it would be in your best interest to take care of your nutritional needs during your waking hours. bedtime means bedtime: time to recover and get bigger.