Having Trouble With Electrolytes (Mild Headaches)

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Hey all. I tend to find myself with a mild headache for several hours after martial arts training sometimes -- even on non-contact days, so it's not trauma-related. 200mg of Ibuprofen always works, but I need to find a better way to deal with this.

I drink plenty of watered-down gatorade during training, but I think I'm still losing too much sodium and potassium. I've been pretty good the past couple weekends, and I think it's due to eating a heavily salted meal before working out. Not sure if this is the right way to go about it either.

There's gotta be some cardio fanatics here who can offer some advice.

Thanks.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
You may want to try a potassium supplement. I like Apple cider vinegar as a source of potassium. There are also many "trace element" type supps, that may help create some balance. If you are taking creatine you might want to check your dosage. Creatine thows my electrolytes out of wack sometimes. There is always the "{increase your water intake" method, which is the first place to start. A low carb diet also gives me headaches. Try adding some complex carbs or glucose polymers Good luck!!!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I get headaches from creatine too, have to keep my dose down to 3 grams if I run it consistently.

Try Magnesium-Potassium Asporotate by Solaray. It's seriously great stuff. I take about 4 pills at a time before bed.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
No creatine here. Could be the Reloaded I've been on, which is causing a little extra water shed. I'll take a look at some of the potassium supps. Thanks.