Alcohol and Drug Addiction Symptoms

David26

Awards
Hello everyone,

Alcohol abuse is overvalued, while drug abuse is undervalued. The DSM manual suggests that substance abuse there are differences in the definition of alcohol and drug use. To confuse matters worse the law has its own version of who is an alcoholic or drug addict.

Symptoms of Alcohol Addiction

Some of the symptoms that help professionals determine if alcohol and drugs are a problem include, excessive drinking/drugging, shaking of the hands, withdrawal symptoms, problems with the law, and so forth.

When is a Person Called Alcoholic?

As per some philosophers if a person drinks more than six-pack weeks then he or she is an alcoholic. The reality is, most of the people nagging or evaluating alcohol and drugs has a problem them self or has gotten help someone in their lifetime to treat their own problems.

If a person drinks everyday of the week and relies on alcohol, then you are probably dealing with an alcoholic. There are philosophers who claim if a person needs a drink at breakfast, that he or she is an alcoholic.

Therefore, as you can see addictions, dependant alcoholics, and other types of alcoholics and drug addicts may alter. First of all, any chemical that causes harm is a possible danger to a person.

In other words if you start out drinking when you are fourteen and continue through your lifetime without any trouble caused by alcohol, or else landing you a spot in jail, then you are probably not an alcoholic according to few.

According to the system, the reality is that individuals who are drinking and driving and caught by the police are alcoholics although the level of alcohol in the blood plays a role in the determination.

The truth is the law sometimes over exaggerates and the system is out to make all the money they can, so we all might be alcoholics by the time they are done with us.

Alcoholism and drug addictions are complex, in the sense there are too many misconstrued inputs and often the label is placed on individuals according to culture and history.

If you parents drank alcohol then the system sometimes will claim you as an alcoholic. The fact is, Jesus drink wine in moderation, so drinking in moderation is not a bad thing.
Problems of Alcoholic and Drug Addiction

When the person has difficulty putting down the bottle and/or increases their intake as well as combining drugs with the alcohol to get an affect they was had then problem becomes really a big problem.

If someone steal or lie to get alcohol or drugs then you know they have a real problem. However, most alcoholics and drug addicts have bigger problems than addictions and this is often ignored.

For example, people with mental illnesses in order to find relief of their symptoms, they often resort to alcohol and/or drugs. Now if a professional is treating this person for his or her diagnoses and progress is moving along the person often feels healthy and the alcohol and drugs are out the door.

In my studies and opinions, I do not agree with alcoholism and drug addictions if the person is able to stop once the mental illness is treated. This means that the person was suffering and the substances were a mechanism to help them cope.

On the other hand, I think you had better get out the chair and start talking ‘one day at a time’, if the person is treated for mental illnesses and his or her drug and alcohol habits continue.

Alcohol was once known as the “Devils Drink.” The White men are the originator of the source, and since it’s beginning it has caused serious complications, including death, abuse, and other related crimes.

David.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Random thought of the morning?

Hello David, how are ya?

David26

Awards
Hey Jayhawkk,

I am fine thank you, how are you? Well just wanted to start here with new helpful and thread.

So what do you think about my post here?

David.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has some truth to it. Alcoholism in the eyes of the law has to have more stringent lines set so things can get started when there's a problem noted or more acts are associated with it. Domestic violence, DUi etc.

And of course there's always going to be different perspectives and their limits set for both alcoholism and drug addiction.

I've delt with family and friends and strangers due to my job over the years to see all sides of this problem. I've seen someone make a mistake and get labeled as an alcoholic while others who have flown below the legal radar, were considered fine.

I think there are so many variables that it's hard to discuss without using generalizations and stereotypes to a certain degree.

But honestly, I think your thread would be better served if it was split into a smaller debatable category. What you wrote covers such a huge area it's hard to pick an area of it and begin talking on it.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
"What ever gets you through the night,...it's alright!"- John Lennon

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Intoxicating drugs and alcohol are simple IMO.

If you need them to normalize any part of your life, you're addicted.

If you use them and put the general public or those people in your home at danger, you should be reprimanded harshly.

Being addicted should never be illegal. And, if you can use them responsibly (not drive, not be intoxicated while you take care of your children, etc, etc, etc) then who the hell cares? :)

David26

Awards
Hi Jayhawkk,

Oh yeah I am sorry for posting a huge post it was my first post so don’t know how to start and thank you for your advice i will be following it in my future posts. And Alcoholism not only creates problems in relationships but also effects on your body, which leads to other problems like sleep disorders.

Hi kwyckemynd00,

Yes you are right; nobody cares if you are addicted and responsible, but once we get drunk alcohol takes charge and does things, sometime people not even remember what they did when they get high.

Hi B515,

Oh yeah that is why we will try to manage alcohol, which making us unmanageable and taking control over on us.

David.

tlow4u

Awards
When is a Person Called Alcoholic?
A good, concise test I remember from a DUI class I took long ago was: "Does your consumption of alcohol cause significant problems in your life?"

For example, one could drink a sixer every night after work - no problem; not an alcoholic.

Another could go 6 months or a year w/o a drink, then go on a bender and wreck the car. Alcoholic.

=============

I would say if you _need_ a drink to feel normal, stop shaking, etc. then you're definately an alky.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You forgot "user dreams". if you tend to dream about drinking,smoking, sniffing, injecting a drug then you do have a dependance on the drug, which is a bummer.

i am sure some people are going "oh ****, really?" yup

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You forgot "user dreams". if you tend to dream about drinking,smoking, sniffing, injecting a drug then you do have a dependance on the drug, which is a bummer.

i am sure some people are going "oh ****, really?" yup
Well looks like I'm addicted to Halodrol and Pheraplex.
And GH even though I've never used it. :cool:

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Its hard not to drink, because our society is so consumed by alcohol. IMO its worse than ever. Its especially bad up here, because theres not much to do here in the winter when it is 50 degrees below zero... So most of the people my age get drunk at least 3 times a week. The last time i drank was in May, and i don't really have the desire too after that. I think that ive been able to accomplish alot with building up my body simply from abstaining from alcohol for the most part.

Alcohol messes with your hormone levels greatly, and at this age I think it could do damage to your endocrine system, or at the very least slow down your gains. I just look at my friends who have been lifting alot longer than me, and have decent routines and nutrition, but they arent nearly where i am at. And i think that alcohol might be the reason for it. I look at my family and they many of them are alcoholics. I have no desire to drink. I just wanna get huge. And anything that prevents that or slows down that process, i dont feel the need to partake in.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's awesome to be able to come to terms with something like that before it takes everything away. I've seen it take many of my family away from me in the emotional sense and it took my father away from me in the physical.

Ripw4

Ripw4

Awards
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, and that our lives had become unmanageable..

I am of the "other" fellowship!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had a discussion with my brother about this on Monday. Ironically we were on our way to see A Scanner Darkly.

I really am not a meeting or group pusher. I do embrace the twelve step spiritual principles and rely on a higher power (I call Jesus Christ) to transform my life. But the foundation of my sobriety is this: brutal honesty with myself and at least one other person.

mad078

Awards
I just had a discussion with my brother about this on Monday. Ironically we were on our way to see A Scanner Darkly.

I really am not a meeting or group pusher. I do embrace the twelve step spiritual principles and rely on a higher power (I call Jesus Christ) to transform my life. But the foundation of my sobriety is this: brutal honesty with myself and at least one other person.
i am also not a meeting pusher, although i will say that the 90 in 90 really helped me, sometimes i was there 3 times a day. i'm only six months into it, i do believe in a higher power but can't decide who or what that is yet. the best thing is, i think, is that no matter what those meetings are there no matter what your circumstance.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
90 in 90 was a very helpful way for me to break a habit of behaviors I had developed. The concept of candid sharing of deep issues in our lives with other empathetic, successfully recovering addicts/alcoholics is unmatched. I find myself wishing I knew more people (A/A's or not) who could conceive the concepts and that would apply them in their everyday lives. There is nothing more fulfilling to me than fellowship with another succcessfully recovering A/A. They just "get it" without me having to explain it.

6 months is huge. Keep it up, you're doing great :)

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Very interesting thread.

Now what I'm about to say is something I rarely admit to strangers, but I feel the basic ideals behind this forum (health and wellness) would make me believe I am among people who might agree with me, at least on some level, with what I think...here goes...

I was raised in a family of "health nuts." I am a "health nut". I've been labeled all kinds of things as you can imagine. I spend most of my disposable income on supplements, home workout gear, running sneakers, etc. I spend most of my free time either reading about health and fitness or exercising or playing sports. I admit I was raised to be constantly concerned with my health, the habits of people around me (sneezing or coughing in public, etc.), and to just plain be a worrywart.

Thus, my brain just can not comprehend how somebody would be able to expose their body to toxicity like substance abuse. Granted, I drink a little (A LITTLE) once in a while, I smoke a cigar maybe once every other month, and I played with AAS in college (with liver protection and PCT, of course), but I am just too worried about my own health to even contemplate doing anything like binge drinking or using hard drugs. My brain can literally not even think of "trying" any drugs like cocaine, etc. I've probably smoked 20 cigarettes in my life, tried pot once (didn't seem to do anything), but that's it. I never touched alcohol or hung out with people who did, until I was 21, but that was also due to the fact that it was my dream to be successful in the military and I knew that doing illegal things or hanging out with people who did, would surely ruin my future.

I guess my question is...I think (THINK being the key word ) that most people with half a brain know that illicit drugs and excessive drinking and smoking are harmful, yet how are they able to indulge in those things? What goes through their heads? How can someone justify damaging their body and mind like that? Or do they really not know that these things are harmful?

I used to be really really judgemental in the past, and I would have been quick to label any drug user or alcholic as simply "insane" because they were stupid enough to make those choices, but now I've come to believe it's not really mental instability, it's probably a combination of many things.

mad078

Awards
Very interesting thread.

Now what I'm about to say is something I rarely admit to strangers, but I feel the basic ideals behind this forum (health and wellness) would make me believe I am among people who might agree with me, at least on some level, with what I think...here goes...

I was raised in a family of "health nuts." I am a "health nut". I've been labeled all kinds of things as you can imagine. I spend most of my disposable income on supplements, home workout gear, running sneakers, etc. I spend most of my free time either reading about health and fitness or exercising or playing sports. I admit I was raised to be constantly concerned with my health, the habits of people around me (sneezing or coughing in public, etc.), and to just plain be a worrywart.

Thus, my brain just can not comprehend how somebody would be able to expose their body to toxicity like substance abuse. Granted, I drink a little (A LITTLE) once in a while, I smoke a cigar maybe once every other month, and I played with anabolic steroids in college (with liver protection and post cycle therapy, of course), but I am just too worried about my own health to even contemplate doing anything like binge drinking or using hard drugs. My brain can literally not even think of "trying" any drugs like cocaine, etc. I've probably smoked 20 cigarettes in my life, tried pot once (didn't seem to do anything), but that's it. I never touched alcohol or hung out with people who did, until I was 21, but that was also due to the fact that it was my dream to be successful in the military and I knew that doing illegal things or hanging out with people who did, would surely ruin my future.

I guess my question is...I think (THINK being the key word ) that most people with half a brain know that illicit drugs and excessive drinking and smoking are harmful, yet how are they able to indulge in those things? What goes through their heads? How can someone justify damaging their body and mind like that? Or do they really not know that these things are harmful?

I used to be really really judgemental in the past, and I would have been quick to label any drug user or alcholic as simply "insane" because they were stupid enough to make those choices, but now I've come to believe it's not really mental instability, it's probably a combination of many things.
wow, so you do drink and you have used steroids, but you justify your usage by saying "with post cycle therapy and liver support" so that makes it ok? how phony are you?:wtf:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You have said a mouthful there. :blink:

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think you missed my point, and I wish you could answer my question without resorting to chidish name-calling. I'm not a "phony," and you don't know me so do not pass judgement; I'm mature enough to refrain from doing so to you.

I consider myself a lifelong "health nut." As such, when I was in college I chose to use AAS after doing extensive research and chose to use them along with things to protect my body. To this day, there have been no known adverse affects from that, at least as far as the tests I've had done have shown.

I did not indulge in mind-altering substances like cocaine, marijuana, etc. for fear of some sort of harm from them.

I can not see how anyone could touch those substances, for which there are so many negatives associated with. I know of no ways to make experimentation with hard drugs less risky.

Therein lies my question...what would drive someone to be able to do that?

As far as my use of illicit substances, I do not think AAS are generally bad, and most people who are not blinded by the mainstream media's scare tactics seem to agree. If used by an educated person with proper on-cycle supplements and PCT, I believe they can be quite beneficial. However in the wrong hands, I am sure they can cause great harm.

mad078

Awards
I was actually about to quote that exact chapter. I must have read that a thousand times, when i was in rehab, and when i got out and was really craving alcohol and cocaine. Thats probobly my favorite part of the big book. I also read the part on page 417, in the story acceptance was the answer." And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When i am disturbed, it is because i find some person, place or thing, or situation- some fact of my life- unacceptable to me, and i can find no serenity until i accept that person, place, or thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutly nothing happens in gods world by mistake. until i could accept my alcoholism, i could not stay sober:unless i accept life completely on life's terms, i cannot be happy.i need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes" for some reason that really hits home with me

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You are an addict and/or an alcoholic when your life becomes unmanageable, whether you want to admit it or not............Chaos - this is the real consequence for the user.

Just my two cents - I stopped counting my sober days when I got to 1000 days, but I still go day by day, even after some years clean.

Laura
Lowest Prices Highest Quality Whey Protein and Nutrition Supplements
discount code laura05

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Difficult to comprehend - that a person can look at ALL THAT THEY STAND TO LOSE and still take a drink???? We can look at the faces of our children, parents and friends, we can lie to them and lie to ourselves and we drink. We lose friends, jobs, relationships..........HOW CAN WE DO IT? Simple, we have a disease, a real sickness, and it can never be cured, just in recovery......that is all we hope for.

It is only the consequences that finally get us - If I could drink today, after all of these years, I would - IF I COULD AVOID THE CONSEQUENCES of my drinking.....and this thought keeps me sober.

But deep down, I know that my disease is doing push ups in my head while I struggle to remain sober.

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks - I think that it is difficult for 'others' to understand that some of us 'did not see the light. We had to feel the heat.'

But the American Medical Association does understand that we have an illness, just like any other illness and to judge us based on "how could we do that to ourselves?" is harsh and I find myself resenting those that do not understand just how insidious the disease of Alcoholicm and Addiction can be and I just want to start spouting off .......

THEN - I stop, take a deep breath, express gratitude to my chosen Higher Power and I try to remember that Bill W. said:

Some day we hope that Alcoholics Anonymous will help the public to a better realization of the gravity of the alcoholic problem, but we shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never could understand how people could let something like alcohol or other drugs take away their loved ones and ruin their own lives...Until I met my own demon that did the same thing.

You hear people use the phrase, "Live one day at a time" a thousand times if you've heard it once. Such a small, generic phrase. Also a phrase that has more meaning and power to those who have to use it.

Ripw4

Ripw4

Awards
Wow..I didnt realize there were so many recovering people on the board..I just celebrated my 4 years august 1st..
I do still attend meetings and am active in the fellowship..

what are you guys thoughts on physical enhancement aids while being a recovering person..
do you feel AAS would fall under tha category..I personally dont but I know many who would say other wise.

mad078

Awards
personally, i think they do fall under that category. they can be done safely, but they require liver support, pct, ect. so my thinking is they are hard on the body while doing them, that is why they fall under that category. i drank and did cocaine for quite a while, and i survived and am heathier now then ever, and i can guarantee it's not from the coke. thats just my two cents.