Alcohol and Drug Addiction Symptoms

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I was actually about to quote that exact chapter. I must have read that a thousand times, when i was in rehab, and when i got out and was really craving alcohol and cocaine. Thats probobly my favorite part of the big book. I also read the part on page 417, in the story acceptance was the answer." And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When i am disturbed, it is because i find some person, place or thing, or situation- some fact of my life- unacceptable to me, and i can find no serenity until i accept that person, place, or thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutly nothing happens in gods world by mistake. until i could accept my alcoholism, i could not stay sober:unless i accept life completely on life's terms, i cannot be happy.i need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes" for some reason that really hits home with me

2. Unbreakable

glad you are here mado78
    •   

3. You are an addict and/or an alcoholic when your life becomes unmanageable, whether you want to admit it or not............Chaos - this is the real consequence for the user.

Just my two cents - I stopped counting my sober days when I got to 1000 days, but I still go day by day, even after some years clean.

Laura
    Lowest Prices Highest Quality Whey Protein and Nutrition Supplements
    discount code laura05

4. I guess my question is...I think (THINK being the key word ) that most people with half a brain know that illicit drugs and excessive drinking and smoking are harmful, yet how are they able to indulge in those things? What goes through their heads? How can someone justify damaging their body and mind like that? Or do they really not know that these things are harmful?

Difficult to comprehend - that a person can look at ALL THAT THEY STAND TO LOSE and still take a drink???? We can look at the faces of our children, parents and friends, we can lie to them and lie to ourselves and we drink. We lose friends, jobs, relationships..........HOW CAN WE DO IT? Simple, we have a disease, a real sickness, and it can never be cured, just in recovery......that is all we hope for.

It is only the consequences that finally get us - If I could drink today, after all of these years, I would - IF I COULD AVOID THE CONSEQUENCES of my drinking.....and this thought keeps me sober.

But deep down, I know that my disease is doing push ups in my head while I struggle to remain sober.

5. excellent post
    •   

6. Thanks - I think that it is difficult for 'others' to understand that some of us 'did not see the light. We had to feel the heat.'

But the American Medical Association does understand that we have an illness, just like any other illness and to judge us based on "how could we do that to ourselves?" is harsh and I find myself resenting those that do not understand just how insidious the disease of Alcoholicm and Addiction can be and I just want to start spouting off .......

THEN - I stop, take a deep breath, express gratitude to my chosen Higher Power and I try to remember that Bill W. said:

Some day we hope that Alcoholics Anonymous will help the public to a better realization of the gravity of the alcoholic problem, but we shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

7. I never could understand how people could let something like alcohol or other drugs take away their loved ones and ruin their own lives...Until I met my own demon that did the same thing.

You hear people use the phrase, "Live one day at a time" a thousand times if you've heard it once. Such a small, generic phrase. Also a phrase that has more meaning and power to those who have to use it.

8. Wow..I didnt realize there were so many recovering people on the board..I just celebrated my 4 years august 1st..
    I do still attend meetings and am active in the fellowship..

what are you guys thoughts on physical enhancement aids while being a recovering person..
    do you feel AAS would fall under tha category..I personally dont but I know many who would say other wise.

9. personally, i think they do fall under that category. they can be done safely, but they require liver support, pct, ect. so my thinking is they are hard on the body while doing them, that is why they fall under that category. i drank and did cocaine for quite a while, and i survived and am heathier now then ever, and i can guarantee it's not from the coke. thats just my two cents.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplements and Drug and Alcohol Tests
    By paul56778 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-15-2017, 11:48 PM
  2. RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS AND ADDICTS
    By thebigt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
  3. T1pro and drug tests
    By kranden in forum Anabolics