Milk after a exercise

1. Registered User
    Answers

Milk after a exercise

Can anyone explian to me why a Dr would recomend drinking milk after exercise?

2. Registered User
    Answers

Perhaps because it's highly insulinogenic (despite having a low GI) and is an excellent scource of protein?
  3. Registered User
    Answers

yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar. The patient was not diabetic so it was not for the insulinogenic effect. That was something I did not know though. Thanks
    •   

4. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped1
    yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar. The patient was not diabetic so it was not for the insulinogenic effect. That was something I did not know though. Thanks
    Diabetic has nothing to do with wanting an insulin spike post workout (there is much debate on to whether or not that is a good thing, I say no.)

Insulin is highly anabolic and is responsible for shuttling nutrients into cells for energy so some say it is good to have an excess post workout. Unfortunately it is also very efficiant at storing fat in a caloric surplus so a balance should be sought. Additionally, your body can become resistant to the effect of insulin requiring larger amounts to be effective.

^^^ Condensed, simplified version.

Many feel there is a limited window of opportunity post workout to replenish glycogen stores and drive nutrients into cells for growth and that is why they use a high GI sugar like dextrose immediately after workout to achieve said insulin spike. I say this is poppy****. You body will effectively replenish over a span of many hours and unless you are a severely depleted endurance athlete, the simple sugar route just doesn't add up in my mind. But I don't know diddly.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Diabetic has nothing to do with wanting an insulin spike post workout (there is much debate on to whether or not that is a good thing, I say no.)

Insulin is highly anabolic and is responsible for shuttling nutrients into cells for energy so some say it is good to have an excess post workout. Unfortunately it is also very efficiant at storing fat in a caloric surplus so a balance should be sought. Additionally, your body can become resistant to the effect of insulin requiring larger amounts to be effective.

^^^ Condensed, simplified version.

Many feel there is a limited window of opportunity post workout to replenish glycogen stores and drive nutrients into cells for growth and that is why they use a high GI sugar like dextrose immediately after workout to achieve said insulin spike. I say this is poppy****. You body will effectively replenish over a span of many hours and unless you are a severely depleted endurance athlete, the simple sugar route just doesn't add up in my mind. But I don't know diddly.

Well put.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Doctors aren't bodybuilding savvy for the most part, listen to BP's advice
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped1
    yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar.
    If your definition of sugar is the one that includes all mono-, di-, and tri- saccharides (as opposed to the table sugar sucrose, specifically), then all carbs are basically a source of sugar. Your body eventually breaks carbs down into glucose for use. The GI of the carb source and its other nutritional value are arguably more important than whether it is simple or complex.

Milk is low GI, is an ok protein source, and has some half-decent food value. Kinda like nature's PWO drink.
  8. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Answers

For me, it's a low gi, and an okay protein source like Nitrox stated. It also makes oats taste good post work out.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Brain Fog after exercise!!!!!
    By Mr.50 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  2. After 4 months of Diet & Exercise...Pre/Post Pics
    By Tgribb6 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
  3. Leg tingles after exercise, should I worry?
    By marius in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
  4. Need to change exercises after 2 months
    By msucurt in forum Training Forum
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 08:24 AM
  5. Exercise After-burn or EPOC
    By CDB in forum News and Articles
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM