Milk after a exercise

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone explian to me why a Dr would recomend drinking milk after exercise?

Sonicology

Sonicology

Awards
Perhaps because it's highly insulinogenic (despite having a low GI) and is an excellent scource of protein?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar. The patient was not diabetic so it was not for the insulinogenic effect. That was something I did not know though. Thanks

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar. The patient was not diabetic so it was not for the insulinogenic effect. That was something I did not know though. Thanks
Diabetic has nothing to do with wanting an insulin spike post workout (there is much debate on to whether or not that is a good thing, I say no.)

Insulin is highly anabolic and is responsible for shuttling nutrients into cells for energy so some say it is good to have an excess post workout. Unfortunately it is also very efficiant at storing fat in a caloric surplus so a balance should be sought. Additionally, your body can become resistant to the effect of insulin requiring larger amounts to be effective.

^^^ Condensed, simplified version.

Many feel there is a limited window of opportunity post workout to replenish glycogen stores and drive nutrients into cells for growth and that is why they use a high GI sugar like dextrose immediately after workout to achieve said insulin spike. I say this is poppy****. You body will effectively replenish over a span of many hours and unless you are a severely depleted endurance athlete, the simple sugar route just doesn't add up in my mind. But I don't know diddly.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Diabetic has nothing to do with wanting an insulin spike post workout (there is much debate on to whether or not that is a good thing, I say no.)

Insulin is highly anabolic and is responsible for shuttling nutrients into cells for energy so some say it is good to have an excess post workout. Unfortunately it is also very efficiant at storing fat in a caloric surplus so a balance should be sought. Additionally, your body can become resistant to the effect of insulin requiring larger amounts to be effective.

^^^ Condensed, simplified version.

Many feel there is a limited window of opportunity post workout to replenish glycogen stores and drive nutrients into cells for growth and that is why they use a high GI sugar like dextrose immediately after workout to achieve said insulin spike. I say this is poppy****. You body will effectively replenish over a span of many hours and unless you are a severely depleted endurance athlete, the simple sugar route just doesn't add up in my mind. But I don't know diddly.

Well put.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Doctors aren't bodybuilding savvy for the most part, listen to BP's advice

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes but isnt milk also a source of sugar.
If your definition of sugar is the one that includes all mono-, di-, and tri- saccharides (as opposed to the table sugar sucrose, specifically), then all carbs are basically a source of sugar. Your body eventually breaks carbs down into glucose for use. The GI of the carb source and its other nutritional value are arguably more important than whether it is simple or complex.

Milk is low GI, is an ok protein source, and has some half-decent food value. Kinda like nature's PWO drink.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
For me, it's a low gi, and an okay protein source like Nitrox stated. It also makes oats taste good post work out.