Blood in urine.. (( To much protein ?? ))

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I am asking this question for a friend of mine. He is a big guy, Probably 6ft 2 or 3 inchs tall, about 240, and pretty ripped up. He got a sharp pain in his back the other day, and he noticed that his urine was a dark color, so he went to the Dr, and they checked him out, and found no kidney stones, but he had an infection in his kidneys , so they put him on antibiotics. The Dr. asked him what all he was taking, and he told him. He said he was taking Alot of protein shakes, probably 8 or 9 a day. Plus, he told him he was taking Superdrol... The Dr. did not know what SD was, But he did tell him that he needed to lay off of the protein shakes for awhile, because they were causing calcium deposits in his kidneys.

Not sure if it can have anything to do with it or not, but he has been on Superdrol for along while, and he has done alot of cycles of the stuff in a short period of time. I advised him against it, and told him about everything I have read here about it, but he did not really listen.. He also does test when he is not on SD.. Anyway, Can anyone give me your take on the protein thing being to much.. Can to many protein shakes be bad for you ?? Just curious, because I have upped mine about 4 or 5 a day. I do not need to end up like he has..

Thanks for your comments and help..

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Too much protein can be bad for your kidneys, yes. He's obviously consuming more than his body is using...

I didn't think superdrol has any effects on the kidneys though.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
any food can mess up your kidneys if you are not drinking enough water, thats the cleanser of the body, without it you have big problems. Im sure he was not drinking near enough water. Plus in order to know for sure if you have Kidney Stones you have to get a special x-ray, and or up the ol pee-hole exam which is very painful :( Just going to the doctors office cannot be a sure way of knowing.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
How long has he been on SD?

Too much protein may effect people with existing kidney problems but it is rarely an issue for healthy individuals.

A kidney infection is not necessarily indicative of too much protein or the effects of harsh orals like SD. They just happen sometimes, however the SD is likely weakening his immune system.

Mannose-D is awesome stuff for getting rid of UTI's. My wife uses it for hers and it takes care of it literally overnight most times.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I am not doctor or expert on the subject but as Bioman stated above, too much protein is 99% not the cause of any kidney problems in healthy individuals. Think of some of these powerlifters/bodybuilders who consistantly take in 500g+ of protein per day with no problems. Heck I take in 350-375 per day. Unused protein is converted to glycogen anyways.

I have never used mannose-d before but Bioman says its good, I am currently using cranberry extract, however, since I am on tren and it does work really well from the studies I have read. In fact a mixture of that and cranberry juice will work wonders for the kidneys!

Personally I think this is a case of him not drinking enough water.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Easily could be stones passing too.

If he were passing a stone, we would hear him screaming here at AM, that is the most painful thing around!!!! Worse than giving birth I tell ya!!!!

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am not doctor or expert on the subject but as Bioman stated above, too much protein is 99% not the cause of any kidney problems in healthy individuals. Think of some of these powerlifters/bodybuilders who consistantly take in 500g+ of protein per day with no problems. Heck I take in 350-375 per day. Unused protein is converted to glycogen anyways.

I have never used mannose-d before but Bioman says its good, I am currently using cranberry extract, however, since I am on tren and it does work really well from the studies I have read. In fact a mixture of that and cranberry juice will work wonders for the kidneys!

Personally I think this is a case of him not drinking enough water.

I take Cranberry Extract as well, as a health measure, its good stuff :)

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Wow !!! Thanks for the quick replies everyone.. It is appreicated. He is a younger guy, probably 24 to 26 yrs old.. Great shape .. As for the water, You will see this guy carrying a big water bottle with him all around the shop all day, and you will see him fill it up alot to.. Don't think it could be water, but ya never know..... As for kidneys, they did the X-ray on him, and it did not show anything..
He has been taking SD all this yr that I know of, and has not been off of it that much.. Like I said, I advised him to not do that, and I even told him about this site, and that he needed to read some of the things that I have.. I am sure he has been doing some test along the way to.. Maybe not with the SD, but he has done some.
I know from what I have read, that body builders usually take in a buttload of protein, and I have not read where any of them have had any problems.. I was kinda nervous for myself since I heard this, becuae I am going to up mine ... Or try to up mine to 250 to 260 a day..

But I really do appreicate your help and info, and I will pass it on to him...

Thanks again.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nah, the small ones will just cause a lil pain and blood. The ones that cause extreme pain suck much butt :)

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wow !!! Thanks for the quick replies everyone.. It is appreicated. He is a younger guy, probably 24 to 26 yrs old.. Great shape .. As for the water, You will see this guy carrying a big water bottle with him all around the shop all day, and you will see him fill it up alot to.. Don't think it could be water, but ya never know..... As for kidneys, they did the X-ray on him, and it did not show anything..
He has been taking superdrol all this yr that I know of, and has not been off of it that much.. Like I said, I advised him to not do that, and I even told him about this site, and that he needed to read some of the things that I have.. I am sure he has been doing some test along the way to.. Maybe not with the SD, but he has done some.
I know from what I have read, that body builders usually take in a buttload of protein, and I have not read where any of them have had any problems.. I was kinda nervous for myself since I heard this, becuae I am going to up mine ... Or try to up mine to 250 to 260 a day..

But I really do appreicate your help and info, and I will pass it on to him...

Thanks again.

Well if he is using stimulants at all with cafffeine that will act as a diuretic as well, which means even more water needed. Some people you just cant tell them anything, live and learn!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yeah much much more water. I'm surprised he hasn't felt the prostate pinch .

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Did they give him any sulfur pills???? Thats one of a few drugs that will help clean out his kidneys, but youhave to drink alot of water with those pills too.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IF he has been on SD for many months, then kidney problems are just the beginning of his woes. He needs to cycle off NOW.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha Bioman, I think we should macro a superdrol/m1t extreme warning this is your liver reply.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I agree with him on getting off of Superdrol NOW statement.. And like I have said, I have told him how bad and dangerous it can be if abused... I am sure there will probably be a price to pay futher down the road... I will tell him again, and maybe he will even get on here and read this..
On the sulfer pills, I honestly do not know what they gave him.. I talked with him on the phone this morning, and he said they gave him a antibiotic.. Maybe they did, I honestly cannot say.
Once again on the water, I have never , and I mean never seen anyone drink as much water as he did.. I would have puked if it had been me.. But I am finally getting where I am drinking nothing but water all day long .. except for my morning coffee.

Hopefully he will not have to much or to many problems, But I also hope he learns a valuable lesson..

Thanks again for your help..

skip2k5

Awards
9 protien shakes a day?...i think thats the problem there

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Concidering a protein shake only has 25 or 26 grams of protein in it, That would only be 225 grams .. Plus whaever he eats.. There are body builders who blow that amount of protein out of the water... Not sure if they get it from shakes, or not, but I bet alot of it comes from it.
Anyway, He has gotten off of the SD, and seems to be doing pretty good. He is back at work and all..

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
The bottom line is that he needs to see a doctor. Protein cannot kill kidneys directly, however a state of muscle breakdown called rhabdomyolysis can lead to acute renal failure which usually resolves but on many instances can lead to permanent renal damage. Have him get taken care of ASAP.

Sometimes rhabdomyolysis can be a result of muscle trauma, commonly mentioned as a side effect of HMGCoA reductase inhibitors, ie: lipitor.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
This post is about 3 or 4 weeks old.. He has already went to the Dr.. Told him to lay off of the SD even though he did not know what exactly it was. The problem ( If he is telling me the truth ) was a calcium deposit in his kidney.. Anyway, Thats aall I know.. He is back to work, and feeling well, but he said he will be staying away from the SD for a long while..

size

Awards
  • Established
Obviously the issue has subsided, but it is still worth discussing for others' benefits. Do you know if in addition to dark urine if it was bubbly/foamy? Foamy urine can indicate that excess protein in urine and kidney issues.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
No, I will see if I can catch him out here at work today and see if he remembers or not.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Obviously the issue has subsided, but it is still worth discussing for others' benefits. Do you know if in addition to dark urine if it was bubbly/foamy? Foamy urine can indicate that excess protein in urine and kidney issues.
Urine is foamy because of the phospahte in it. It is true that protein foams when mixed in a fluid, but gross proteinuria would be accompanied by other problems that were prexistant ie lower extremity edema with a few other issues known as nephrotic syndrome.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Urine is foamy because of the phospahte in it. It is true that protein foams when mixed in a fluid, but gross proteinuria would be accompanied by other problems that were prexistant ie lower extremity edema with a few other issues known as nephrotic syndrome.

So broken down so the average man can understand this means what ?? (( Sorry, Way over my head. )):blink:

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
So broken down so the average man can understand this means what ?? (( Sorry, Way over my head. )):blink:
Basically, don't worry if your urine is foamy because it may be just phospahte, which is normal. If you EVER notice blood, dark brown almost black urine, if it burns or if it is very fould smellign (barring asparagus ingestion ;-) GO SEE A DOC! :)

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I see... Thanks.. I will remember that.

size

Awards
  • Established
Foamy urine can be a sign of proteinuria which can be an indicator of renal damage.

"Since serum proteins are readily reabsorbed from urine, the presence of excess protein indicates either an insufficiency of absorption or impaired filtration. Diabetics usually suffer from damaged nephrons and develop proteinuria."

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Superdrol is a new compound and has literally no formal testing in humans, especially longterm testing. Who knows what 6+ months of Superdrol will do to your body. its not recommended to run that compound longer than 4 weeks!

BV

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Foamy urine can be a sign of proteinuria which can be an indicator of renal damage.

"Since serum proteins are readily reabsorbed from urine, the presence of excess protein indicates either an insufficiency of absorption or impaired filtration. Diabetics usually suffer from damaged nephrons and develop proteinuria."
Proteinuria is not visible to the naked eye. One cannot distinguish foamy urine secondary to proteinuria versus jsut nromal foamy urine attributable to phosphates.

You cannot EVER directly attribute foamy urine to proteinuria. Like I said before, proteinuria, not microalbuminemia, (which is evaluated in diabetics whose progression is delayed by the use of ace inhibitors, ie dibetic nephropathy) would have individuals demonstrate other signs that would paint the clinical picture (edema, ?liver failure? uremia). In order to have protein escape, the damage would entail a loss of negative charge in the glomerular basement membrane - which is a big deal.

-Cheers.

size

Awards
  • Established
Proteinuria is not visible to the naked eye. One cannot distinguish foamy urine secondary to proteinuria versus jsut nromal foamy urine attributable to phosphates.

You cannot EVER directly attribute foamy urine to proteinuria. Like I said before, proteinuria, not microalbuminemia, (which is evaluated in diabetics whose progression is delayed by the use of ace inhibitors, ie dibetic nephropathy) would have individuals demonstrate other signs that would paint the clinical picture (edema, ?liver failure? uremia). In order to have protein escape, the damage would entail a loss of negative charge in the glomerular basement membrane - which is a big deal.

-Cheers.
Thanks for the info. Obviously, I was given incorrect information in the past, especially, in regards to unusually foamy urine and its correlation to proteinuria.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
You guys are walking books of knowledge...:jaw: Hats off to you all. Very impressive.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This post is about 3 or 4 weeks old.. He has already went to the Dr.. Told him to lay off of the superdrol even though he did not know what exactly it was. The problem ( If he is telling me the truth ) was a calcium deposit in his kidney.. Anyway, Thats aall I know.. He is back to work, and feeling well, but he said he will be staying away from the SD for a long while..
a calcium deposit in the kidney = a kidney stone he was just given an antibiotic? I'm not aware of any antibiotic that will dissolve kidney stones.mabey he passed it.I agree with Size proteinuria can cause the urine to be foamy,it is secondary to a kidney issue, but will probably be the first symptom you notice.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Too much protein can be bad for your kidneys, yes. He's obviously consuming more than his body is using...

I didn't think superdrol has any effects on the kidneys though.
Kidney problems can only be exacerbated by high protein intake, NOT caused by.

There is probably a larger underlying issue and he should see his doc ASAP. Could just be an infection, but anytime you privates bleed its good to get them checked out (unless you've got really nasty hemorrhoids :D).

edit: just saw how old this is... :) Glad to hear he's better.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
a calcium deposit in the kidney = a kidney stone he was just given an antibiotic? I'm not aware of any antibiotic that will dissolve kidney stones.mabey he passed it.I agree with Size proteinuria can cause the urine to be foamy,it is secondary to a kidney issue, but will probably be the first symptom you notice.
The antibiotic is NOT given to dissolve the stone - it is more as prophylaxis to prevent infection.

THere isn't a chemical that can dissolve the stone, especially if it is your typical calcium oxalate - it usueallly requires either mechanical or ultrasound to get rid of , or you could just wait and pass it.

Read above regarding proteinuria and foamy urine - you ar emisinformed if you think foamy urine correlates directly wiht proteinuria.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know antibiotics don't dissolve stones I was trying to say if the Dr. says he had a stone why did he not address it I should have been more clear.I still say proteinuria causes foamy,frothy urine I realize it is secondary to kidney problems or diabetes etc. but it IS a sign/symptom of proteinuria. I took this qoute from the Cleveland clinic's website it's from a long article about proteinuria and was written by a P.M. Hall MD. He to it seems is "misinformed" the underlined text is from the kidney dialysis foundation and again is a small section of a larger article on proteinuria. I only took the sections dealing with sympoms from both article because as I said I understand that proteinuria is itself a symptom of a larger problem but none the less it causes the urine to be foamy/frothy.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Most patients with proteinuria have no signs or symptoms from the proteinuria. In states of heavy (nephrotic range) proteinuria exceeding 3 g daily, the patient might report FOAMY URINE and might demonstrate edema. The FOAMY URINE is due to increased lipid in the urine, which alters the surface tension of the urine. Lipiduria is caused by the filtration of lipoproteins across the damaged glomerular barrier. On urine microscopy lipiduria might appear as free fat, or as fat droplets in tubular cells or casts where they are referred to as oval fat bodies or fatty casts respectively. Edema, which frequently accompanies nephrotic range proteinuria, is caused by reduction of plasma oncotic pressure due to reduced plasma albumin. Hypoalbuminemia is the result of increased glomerular losses and defective synthesis of albumin. At times the hypoalbuminemia and loss in plasma oncotic pressure produce true intravascular volume depletion resulting in hypotension and pre-renal acute renal failure. The loss of albumin stimulates the liver synthetic activity, which also contributes to increased lipoprotein production and hyperlipidemia
What are the signs and symptoms of proteinuria?
By itself, proteinuria causes FOAMY OR FROTHY URINE. Patients may also say they see bubbles in the urine. If loss of protein is in very large quantities (more than 3 grams per day), a patient may have the nephrotic syndrome where he complains of swelling of legs, abdominal distention and breathlessness especially on lying down.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
First of all, I am a doctor. If you saw my previous post I mention gross proteinuria and nephrotic syndrome briefly for the sake of simplicity.

A direct correlation means PROTEINURIA = FOAMY URINE which is NOT correct. It is in the differential but they are not pathognomonic. It is SOMETIMES seen tha tis what my point is. Just becuase one has foamy urine does not directly mean that there is proteinurai and vice versa.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
First of all, I am a doctor. If you saw my previous post I mention gross proteinuria and nephrotic syndrome briefly for the sake of simplicity.

A direct correlation means PROTEINURIA = FOAMY URINE which is NOT correct. It is in the differential but they are not pathognomonic. It is SOMETIMES seen tha tis what my point is. Just becuase one has foamy urine does not directly mean that there is proteinurai and vice versa.
no disreespect intended but I think you are splitting hairs Dr. all I was saying is that proteinuria does cause frothy/foamy urine not in every instance but it can and does cause it.I'm not a Dr. but I do have a BSN and have been a critical care nurse for 14 years and I have seen with my own two eyes foamy/frothy urine from proteinuria.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
No prob whatsoever - your contribution was totally positive :) It is tough clinically to distinguish between foamy urine in a patient with nephrotic syndrome versus a patient with another disorder.

I must say that the foamiest urine I have ever seen was from a patient who had multiple myeloma - literally looked like palmolive/detergent in water.

Critical care nurses kick butt!

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
No prob whatsoever - your contribution was totally positive :) It is tough clinically to distinguish between foamy urine in a patient with nephrotic syndrome versus a patient with another disorder.

I must say that the foamiest urine I have ever seen was from a patient who had multiple myeloma - literally looked like palmolive/detergent in water.

Critical care nurses kick butt!

size

Awards
  • Established
This is more helpful as know I understand your stance more correctly. So my info was not completely wrong but rather the implication of a direct correlation.

Last edited:
wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
however a state of muscle breakdown called rhabdomyolysis can lead to acute renal failure which usually resolves but on many instances can lead to permanent renal damage. Have him get taken care of ASAP.

Sometimes rhabdomyolysis can be a result of muscle trauma, commonly mentioned as a side effect of HMGCoA reductase inhibitors, ie: lipitor.
can you enlighten us a little more on rhabdomyolysis?? Thanks.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
can you enlighten us a little more on rhabdomyolysis?? Thanks.
Rhamdomyolysis is basically when your muscle breaks down and its byproducts hit the blood stream and flog your kidneys. It's generally toxic and can cause hematuria (blood in the urine) as was pertinent to the intial poster. Other conditions include trauma (which occurs in patients who have had bad accidents involving tons of muscle damage), seizures, alcohol induced, severe dehydration, chemical (ie Lipitor and other HMGred inhibitors, yes, theoretically compnents of RYR could cause this too) including cocaine, ampehtamines.

So how do we know someone has this? Basically you complain of musle cramps. You check any hard core bodybuilder any given day, his marker of rhabdo (of course with clinicla correlation) his CPK level would be above normal - which is what we look at.

What the heck do we do about this? Well, we hit patients with IV fluids, replace their electrolytes as needed and hope that the acute episode of renal failure is resolved with all the fluid. Of course we remove the offending agent if it is a chemical.

Also - I must reenforce that the best supplement one can take is water. Never underestimate its power and is essential for clearing your body of muscle breakdown byproducts.

Cheers!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Good to have you on the board DeerDeer...

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Rhamdomyolysis is basically when your muscle breaks down and its byproducts hit the blood stream and flog your kidneys. It's generally toxic and can cause hematuria (blood in the urine) as was pertinent to the intial poster. Other conditions include trauma (which occurs in patients who have had bad accidents involving tons of muscle damage), seizures, alcohol induced, severe dehydration, chemical (ie Lipitor and other HMGred inhibitors, yes, theoretically compnents of RYR could cause this too) including cocaine, ampehtamines.

So how do we know someone has this? Basically you complain of musle cramps. You check any hard core bodybuilder any given day, his marker of rhabdo (of course with clinicla correlation) his CPK level would be above normal - which is what we look at.

What the heck do we do about this? Well, we hit patients with IV fluids, replace their electrolytes as needed and hope that the acute episode of renal failure is resolved with all the fluid. Of course we remove the offending agent if it is a chemical.

Also - I must reenforce that the best supplement one can take is water. Never underestimate its power and is essential for clearing your body of muscle breakdown byproducts.

Cheers!
Thanks for the great response!! i ran across this thread simply because of a pain in my mid back on the rt side of my spine. It feels like more of a muscle cramp or a pull than anything else but is persistent and will not go away. Hoping that its not my kidney and looking very inquisitively at my urine everytime ive come to the conclusion that it is probally just a muscle problem. But do you think that if it was a kidney problem that there would be any other symptoms other than what i have stated? i do have a lower back disk problem and was trying to figure out if i am overcompensating on other areas of my back or whatnot. My urine is clear when i drink alot of fluids (mainly water) and the only time it is a yellowish color is when i wake up in the mourning. if you have any insight please let me know. Thanks

and sorry to hyjack the thread.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the great response!! i ran across this thread simply because of a pain in my mid back on the rt side of my spine. It feels like more of a muscle cramp or a pull than anything else but is persistent and will not go away. Hoping that its not my kidney and looking very inquisitively at my urine everytime ive come to the conclusion that it is probally just a muscle problem. But do you think that if it was a kidney problem that there would be any other symptoms other than what i have stated? i do have a lower back disk problem and was trying to figure out if i am overcompensating on other areas of my back or whatnot. My urine is clear when i drink alot of fluids (mainly water) and the only time it is a yellowish color is when i wake up in the mourning. if you have any insight please let me know. Thanks

and sorry to hyjack the thread.
Lower back pain - could be disk vs muscular vs kidney

Highest on the list is something disk related as you have already mentioned that there is a preexisting issue already. This cna go hand in hand or have a muscular strain/pull superimposed so I will group these together. You could simply be having muscle spasms - that can also be alleviate with physical therapy or muscle relaxers (ie flexeril prescribed by your doctor).

As for kidney issues - you think about cva or costovertebral angle tenderness (the little area in your back where your ribs end just under you rlast rib next to the spine, where your kidneys rest) a doctor would make a fist and pound lightly on it to see if there is tenderness which would point to a urinary tract infection which is uslaly accompanied by dysuria or difficulty/burning on urination - really rare in men because of ht elenght of our urethras, girls totally get them more often. Lesser things could be small stones, renal cycts, abscess, ileopsoas strains - but again there is a very small chance it is anythign other than musculoskeletal.

The best reatemnt overall for back pain is rest. Shut it down for a while, strethc it out, ice it.

Sorry if it's messy just some off the cuff stuff as i sit and try to digest osme of this turkey. *hic*

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the quick response!! hope your thanksgiving is going well. Im thinking that it is more musc/skel also simply because i am having no other symptoms (Thank God!!) but ill keep it all in mind and make sure i pay attention to it.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
i cannot believe he's been on SD all year long... this is going to cause him irreversible damage.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
This is a pretty old thread... He has been off since I posted this, and he is back to normal, or from what he can tell he is anyway. He is still maintaining his gains, and looks large and ripped.:bb2: .