Salt intake - AnabolicMinds.com

Salt intake

1. Board Supporter
    Answers

Salt intake

Hey,
    I have never really worried about my salt intake, most of my foods I make myself from natural sources, and I don't add salt to anything.
    Is there any real reason for a healthy individual to watch their salt intake other than water retention?
    The reason why I ask, is because somebody that I know who lifts is obsessive about thier Tuna and will only eat the low sodium type - whereas I have never even considered the salt in my tuna before.
    Thanks guys.
    KG

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Well it's a total amount thing. If he eats an enormous amount of tuna plus other things like chicken then that salt can add up a good bit. As long as your total for the day isn't bad then there shouldn't be a worry. If your fingers and legs start swelling then you may need to worry

3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I've never been too worried about it, it's not like all I (or anyone I know) eat is tuna.

•   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Ok, that makes sense, I was just wondering if it was another thing that I should be counting daily or not.
    Thanks JH

5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

By looking at your avatar, I think you're fine KG.

6. New Member
    Answers

Someone actually posted a study about salt intake on here. From what I remember, it said actually need a fair amount of it. You may bloat a little at first but eventually your body adjusts and you flush out what you don't need. As always you should be drinking enough water every day, like an oz per pound. Just going from memory here and don't feel like searching

7. Senior Member
    Answers

on the other side of the spectrum, im sometimes worried about low sodium intake in certain people. If you sweat a lot, and are eating a good amount of potassium rich foods and taking your vitamins/minerals, you might have an electrolyte imbalance from LOW sodium. Get sea salt however, as its alkaline rather than acidic.
    I for one actually have found that adding salt to my diet has helped tremendously, especially with regards to bad stomach problems....of course, I was doing bikram yoga and then added working out back in (after taking a 10 day break).

8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Sctto ya right

9. New Member
    Answers

As long as you aren't bloated you should be fine. Salt helps absorbtion of nutrients i believe. Chris Aceto recomends a little bit with post workout shakes.

10. Board Supporter
    Answers

Thanks Guys

11. Kam
    Answers

I've also heard that unless that you are over sensative (and always someone is...) you can have as much salt as you want. It's important to eat a little more salt in the summer, as you are always sweaty and guess what it's a little salty you need to up it a little to keep the proper amount in you.

But yeah I've heard of people not getting jobs because they presalted and prepeppered there food before tasting it. (lunch interview, shows a closed mind). Thought I should add that.

12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by karategirl
    Hey,
    I have never really worried about my salt intake, most of my foods I make myself from natural sources, and I don't add salt to anything.
    Is there any real reason for a healthy individual to watch their salt intake other than water retention?
    The reason why I ask, is because somebody that I know who lifts is obsessive about thier Tuna and will only eat the low sodium type - whereas I have never even considered the salt in my tuna before.
    Thanks guys.
    KG
    It actually only "aggrevates" hypertension. The major reason for limiting it (balancing with potassium is better) is because it draws water from intracellular fluid (ICF) into extracellular fluid (ECF). Potassium does the opposite, so for the most part with a healthy diet they should be well balanced and sodium will actually help create an anbolic environment for muscle growth.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. please help with this calorie intake
    By madmuscle in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 05:38 AM
  3. Calorie intake with 1-Test
    By NPursuit in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 03:06 PM