HEB's Mootopia

  1. New Member
    liquidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8
    Answers
    0

    HEB's Mootopia


    Has anyone heard of this milk?? Compared to normal milk it has half the carbs and gives you twice the protein. In the Fat free source of this milk it has 4 grams of carbs and 14 grams of protein per serving which is about 8 ounces @ 90 calories per serving. sooooo 16 ounces of this bad boy added to your protein shake adds 28 grams of protein.. The stuff tastes great and I love it but its lactose free and I am not sure it contains the essential protein found in normal milks basically im talking about the casein source.. Anyone got any ideas about this?


  2. Guest
    Guest
    Guest's Avatar

    Love the stuff! To bad I moved..

  3. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,155
    Answers
    1

    I use the skim Mootopia everyday at night with some eggs.

    •   
       

  4. New Member
    liquidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8
    Answers
    0

    Thats awesome.. Glad to see other people know about this stuff.. so do yall think its real Milk?? I drink skim and add 2 servings during the day to just 100% whey shake and also 1 serving at night with a whey shake also.. not to mention i drink on occasion by itself with my meals..

  5. New Member
    Kayen Telva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0

    Good news, bad news.

    Good news: Mootopia's extra protein is whey.

    Bad news: It's a processed whey which has few of the benefits of fresh liquid whey, and many of the disadvantages. For example, it's high in cysteine-- if you are prone to kidneystones of the cysteine variety, and supposed to be eating a low-purine diet, avoid whey, avoid MOOtopia like the plague.

    Whey is a byproduct of the cheese-making process. Cheese is mostly 'casein'. Think of what melty mozzarella cheese is like; that's casein. Gooey.

    Whey, on the other hand, is mostly 'albumin'. Ricotta cheese is made from whey, and that's why it has something in common with the texture of a hard-boiled eggwhites. Bouncy- and more easily digested than casein.

    There are MANY kinds of whey-- they are not all alike and the ways in which they are different is crucial to how you metabolize it.

    Before butter is made, the milk is put through fermentation. There are two general methods for doing that: "thermophilic" and "mesophilic". The first is, of course, "heat-loving" bacteria. Basically, thermophilic fermentation is yogurt-making with the classical lactobacilli. The second method, mesophilic, involves bacteria that thrive in somewhat cooler temperatures. Mesophilic fermentation tends to yield more glutamates-- it makes the dairy taste more rich and "meaty".

    Much of the flavor of butter is bacterial in origin. The milk is put through a controlled souring, then separated into 'butter' and 'buttermilk'. Funny name for something that technically shouldn't contain any butter at all.

    Buttermilk is very rich in protein, both the native molecules from the milk, and whatever strings of molecules the bacteria decided to knit up and poo into it.

    Some popular cheese (such as cheddar) are made using two batches of milk, one with each kind of fermentation. Both kinds put lactic acid into the whey.

    Lactic acid is good. You WANT this. You want this very much. Why? Doesn't lactic acid make your muscles sore? No, it doesn't. That's a myth.

    Lactic acid is fuel for mitochondria. It shows up in exhausted muscle tissue because it was just about to get USED. Lactic acid is NOT merely a nasty by-product of your body tissues.

    Lactic acid helps raise the metabolism. Studies that show whey is beneficial are usually referring to *liquid* *fresh* whey. Not dried whey.

    Before it's made into cheese, milk is fermented and it thickens. The naturally-produced acids breaks down the casein. The casein promptly gets stuck to more casein, and that's how curds form in soured milk.

    Curdling is usually helped along in the cheesemaking process through heat and through additives.

    The most famous one is rennet. Rennet is something taken from a young calf's stomach. It's an enzyme that dismantles casein. Rennet does the most work while changing the flavor the least.

    There are "vegetable rennets"; some plants happen to have chemicals that break down casein. Nettle juice is one of them. If killing little baby "veal" cows bothers you, there are alternatives.

    Edible acids can also be used. Vinegar and lemon juice are traditional.

    Many recipes call for vinegar, which is acetic acid. Acetic acid is a valid nutrient; it is processed into glucose (a sugar) by the liver. But, unless you especially want your liver to grow, avoid this exactly as much as you avoid drinking alcohol. (The process of metabolizing alcohol is, the liver turns it into vinegar, and then it turns vinegar into sugar.)

    Even if it's 100% fat-free, that "all-natural" "artisan" cheese by somebody who used vinegar because they were too leftist-wingnut to use rennet is a hidden-glucose bomb.

    Dehydrated whey has had its liquid and most of its acid removed. So what's left? Basically, glutamates and albumin.

    Dehydrated whey is the main ingredient in powdered buttermilk. It's also the main ingredient in lots of power protein shakes, only they're selling you cheese by-product for twenty dollars instead of two. Feeling like a sucker yet? You should.

    Adding protein shake mix to MOOtopia is adding over-priced albumin to albumin added as a combination thickening agent and marketing gimmick.

    Congratulations. You've been had at both ends. Here's your kleenex and your kiss.

  6. Elite Member
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,941
    Answers
    2

    Ok that is great information to know but the point stands, low carb/sugar, high protein and fat free milk... still going to buy it and not going to need a tissue. It is a great option for those of us on low carb diets or who like milk but don't respond well to lactose.

  7. Senior Member
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0

    may as well get almond milk if you're gonna pay 5$ for a quart of milk wtf?
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  8. New Member
    edwardyi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    114
    Answers
    0

    i also use the h-e-b mootopia. its milk on roids

  9. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,155
    Answers
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    may as well get almond milk if you're gonna pay 5$ for a quart of milk wtf?
    It's ~$2.50 for 2 quarts.

    Also, I also love when a 3 year old thread gets resurrected by someone just to talk some sh!t.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  10. Senior Member
    ABNRanger's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,280
    Answers
    0

    I drink a lot of mootopia.... yeah I like it that much. I use the fat free one; I use it in my oatmeal, and my shakes. It is like the best of both worlds, no fat and high potein.

  11. New Member
    southpawtx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Answers
    0

    Almond Milk does not taste like regular milk the same way Mootopia does. As a matter of fact it tastes nothing like milk. So I don't see replacing Mootopia with Almond Milk just for the health benefits alone. The health issue was not the point of that particular comment. I did not post that comment it but it was easy to understand that fact. This stuff tastes great. I just tried it for the first time a couple of days ago. I have always steered away from drinking milk due to the high carbohydrate content and the effect it has on MY blood glucose. I take my glucose reading everyday so don't try to tell me anything about that. Now that I have found out about Mootopia, I am free to drink milk (or whatever it is) again, have been monitoring my sugar levels and its not spiking them at all. I live in Austin so I have access to HEB brand Mootopia. I don't quite understand the marketing of the product. At first I thought it was something that HEB only had. It appears after doing a little internet research that this isn't necessarily true. Anyway I am glad to live where I can access what I think are the nations best grocery stores. HEB is Texas based and so is Whole Foods. Right here in Downtown Austin is WF's home office and home flagship store. You can't find more hi tech savvy grocery stores in other places like you can in TX. I know, as I live in several places and constantly travel. What I don't like is the outrageous prices WF charges for their organic products and other things as well. I also don't understand why when I am at my place in Palm Springs, or the bay area, or SD, I can't seem to find as good produce as I do in HEB or Whole Foods in TX. Do these Texas chains pay out the rear to get the top produce flash flown in from the CA farmers? I mean that is where most of our food produce comes from, the central valley? in CA of course for those of you who dont know what the central valley is regarding this story. I would like to be able to find a pomegranite in CA for under 5 dollars. Also why are watermelons 6 bucks now? I say just put one in your cart when you have already left the check out stand and just cart it off to your car!

  12. Senior Member
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by southpawtx View Post
    Almond Milk does not taste like regular milk the same way Mootopia does. As a matter of fact it tastes nothing like milk. So I don't see replacing Mootopia with Almond Milk just for the health benefits alone. The health issue was not the point of that particular comment. I did not post that comment it but it was easy to understand that fact. This stuff tastes great. I just tried it for the first time a couple of days ago. I have always steered away from drinking milk due to the high carbohydrate content and the effect it has on MY blood glucose. I take my glucose reading everyday so don't try to tell me anything about that. Now that I have found out about Mootopia, I am free to drink milk (or whatever it is) again, have been monitoring my sugar levels and its not spiking them at all. I live in Austin so I have access to HEB brand Mootopia. I don't quite understand the marketing of the product. At first I thought it was something that HEB only had. It appears after doing a little internet research that this isn't necessarily true. Anyway I am glad to live where I can access what I think are the nations best grocery stores. HEB is Texas based and so is Whole Foods. Right here in Downtown Austin is WF's home office and home flagship store. You can't find more hi tech savvy grocery stores in other places like you can in TX. I know, as I live in several places and constantly travel. What I don't like is the outrageous prices WF charges for their organic products and other things as well. I also don't understand why when I am at my place in Palm Springs, or the bay area, or SD, I can't seem to find as good produce as I do in HEB or Whole Foods in TX. Do these Texas chains pay out the rear to get the top produce flash flown in from the CA farmers? I mean that is where most of our food produce comes from, the central valley? in CA of course for those of you who dont know what the central valley is regarding this story. I would like to be able to find a pomegranite in CA for under 5 dollars. Also why are watermelons 6 bucks now? I say just put one in your cart when you have already left the check out stand and just cart it off to your car!

    100g ,15$ bulk pomegranate extract ( 40% ellagic acid) > buying whole pomegranate or promegranate juice.

    imo of course
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  13. New Member
    southpawtx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    100g ,15$ bulk pomegranate extract ( 40% ellagic acid) > buying whole pomegranate or promegranate juice.

    imo of course
    I want the whole fruit, the seeds etc, the extract (juice) is too concentrated for my blood sugar

  14. Senior Member
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by southpawtx View Post
    I want the whole fruit, the seeds etc, the extract (juice) is too concentrated for my blood sugar

    i think you misunderstood what i meant by pomegranate extract.

    im talking about powdered extract




    powdered extract doesnt have any caloric significance much less high sugar....

    im talking 1g total each serving....

    1g of pure sugar is still 4 calories.

    so MAYBE the powdered extract has a few mg of sugar each serving, if that.
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  •   

      
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in