Is COQ10 bad? cellular death & massive free radicals???

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have NOW foods coq10 100mg w/ Hawthorn Berry 400mg pills. I was going to use it for a cycle at 2x ED...Now i am wondering if COQ10 is bad at 200mg ED because of what i read. Is this true? I recently read this on AnabolicInnovations.com:

Idebenone is an analog of the very popular CoQ10. In most respects, Idebenone shares its traits with Coenzyme Q10 and like Coenzyme Q10 is might be useful for aging. It differs from it in some important ways, which may make it more useful. Under certain circumstances, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) may become a pro-oxidant. These circumstances are conditions in which hypoxia or lack of oxygen occurs.

In cases of shock, heart attack, stroke, or poor circulation, CoQ10 auto-oxidizes and unleashes massive amounts of various free radicals that damage delicate tissues and because CoQ10 is necessary for electron transport and ATP (chemical energy) production, cellular death may ensue. Idebenone, on the other hand, suppresses free radicals and continues ATP production in hypoxic situations. This may make it a useful supplement for individuals at risk for those conditions.

Other important traits of Idebenone not shared by CoQ10 include the ability to raise the brain's serotonin levels like the SSRI antidepressants (Prozac) and it also increases the brain levels of nerve growth factor. Another trait is to protect the myelin sheath from damage as well as the mitochondria that has important implications in Multiple Sclerosis.
The ability to enhance serotonin production occurs even under less than optimal conditions such as those whose diet contains little L-Tryptophan.....

I would just buy cycle support but shipping for me is so high! Should I still use Coq10 @ 100mg 2x a day? Is the information true or is it just marketing to make idebenone look better? Help anyone?

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like bunk to me, my friend.

I would do some research, though. There are a lot of papers on pubmed and the net in general about CoQ10.

FWIW, the dose may be a bit high (and so is the cost!). I take 100 ED mostly because I am using a statin for cholesterol and Q10 is depleted.

Good luck,
R

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
well its interesting about how ideb reacts positively during stressful situations whereas it claims coq10 reacts badly.however ANY or at leas tmost antiox can turn pro oxidant if taken in to large of a dose.they are tricky like that

ive been using idebenone for a long time now.love the stuff.boosts recovery greatly and takes down doms like a mf
u can get it for about a buck a gram which is very reasonable imo

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Just try not to go hypoxic :thumbsup:

200 mg a day is pretty dang high..especially for young people.

I take about 50 mg of CoQ per day and I am 34 and not on statins.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
My blood pressure runs kind of high, so I was advised to take 100 mg. of CoQ every day. I've also added celery seed, garlic and hawthorn. Most of that is pretty inexpensive but the CoQ is pricey as hell. I'm thinking of switching to Ideb, to save money, but wonder what the proper dose would be to help reduce BP during normal times, and also when on cycle.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like bunk to me, my friend.

I would do some research, though. There are a lot of papers on pubmed and the net in general about CoQ10.

FWIW, the dose may be a bit high (and so is the cost!). I take 100 ED mostly because I am using a statin for cholesterol and Q10 is depleted.

Good luck,
R
I also take 100-200mg ED with no statins. This is an important factor in my daily energy levels and overall heart health.

By the way Rhyalus, have you ever tried lowering HDL via Beta Sitosterol and anti oxidants (by preventing HDL from oxidizing)?

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I also take 100-200mg ED with no statins. This is an important factor in my daily energy levels and overall heart health.

By the way Rhyalus, have you ever tried lowering HDL via Beta Sitosterol and anti oxidants (by preventing HDL from oxidizing)?
Hi NH...

I have been on statins for a long time, before I lost a load of weight and got back to the gym. I added policosanol and I take quite a few anti-oxidants (NAC, etc).

I'll see how things go....at least I might be able to back down the statin dose, if nothing else. I will read up on Beta Sitosterol, though.

Thanks Bro....
R

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are studies on CoQ10 in higher doses (200mg+) on treating Parkinson's Disease..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
well its interesting about how ideb reacts positively during stressful situations whereas it claims coq10 reacts badly.however ANY or at leas tmost antiox can turn pro oxidant if taken in to large of a dose.they are tricky like that

ive been using idebenone for a long time now.love the stuff.boosts recovery greatly and takes down doms like a mf
u can get it for about a buck a gram which is very reasonable imo
Not true. The reason for this is because of oxidation/reduction. Vitamin C is the same way. Everything chemical in your body reacts a different way and there are MANY types of reactions that occur naturally. You have oxidation/reduction, E1/E2 (organic), SN1/SN2 (organic), etc.

CoQ10 is metabolized and oxidized, therefore, some of its byproducts are pro-oxidents (again like vitamin C). This is only a concern during times of inflammation or exercise, so if it is taken at night it isn't too much of a concern. We chose to use idebenone because it was more potent and this wasn't a concern.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
just going over some old posts,sorry i didnt see this before.
what part are u saying is false?about antiox becoming pro ox in excessive doses or(i hope)the quip about the coq10 reacting negatively in certain situations?
how would something becoming proox not be a concern at any time?please elaborate on that.thanks

Not true. The reason for this is because of oxidation/reduction. Vitamin C is the same way. Everything chemical in your body reacts a different way and there are MANY types of reactions that occur naturally. You have oxidation/reduction, E1/E2 (organic), SN1/SN2 (organic), etc.

CoQ10 is metabolized and oxidized, therefore, some of its byproducts are pro-oxidents (again like vitamin C). This is only a concern during times of inflammation or exercise, so if it is taken at night it isn't too much of a concern. We chose to use idebenone because it was more potent and this wasn't a concern.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 29
Royd The Noyd Male Anti-Aging Medicine 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Supplements 39