Red grape juice extract reduces cardiovascular disease - AnabolicMinds.com

Red grape juice extract reduces cardiovascular disease

1. Elite Member
    Answers

Lightbulb Red grape juice extract reduces cardiovascular disease

Red grape juice extract reduces cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy and non-healthy patients

A report published in the July, 2006 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed the findings of researchers at the Hospital Ramon y Cajal in Madrid that drinking red grape juice can help lower low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, apoplipoprotein B-100, inflammation, and oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL), all of which, when elevated, increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

In the current study, 26 hemodialysis patients and 15 healthy individuals were instructed to consume 100 milliliters of a red grape juice drink daily for two weeks. Twelve individuals receiving hemodialysis who did not receive grape juice served as controls. Blood samples drawn at the beginning of the study, twice during the supplementation period, and twice during the six month follow-up were analyzed for lipids, apolipoproteins, oxidized LDL, total antioxidant capacity, antioxidant vitamins including tocopherols, carotenoids, vitamin C and quercetin, and other factors.

Plasma total antioxidant capacity, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and apoplipoprotein A-1 (the major lipoprotein found in HDL cholesterol) increased among all of the participants who received red grape juice, while LDL cholesterol, oxidized LDL, and apoplipoprotein B-100 (apolipoprotein B is the major apolipoprotein in LDL cholesterol) were reduced at the end of the two week intervention period. These levels returned to their approximate original values by the end of the follow up period. Additionally, monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 (MCP-1), a marker of inflammation, was lowered during 3 weeks of treatment with the juice in a further study of 10 hemodialysis patients, however, other inflammation markers were unaffected.

The authors conclude that "dietary supplementation with concentrated red grape juice exerts hypolipidemic, antioxidant, and antiinflammatory actions in both healthy subjects and patients with end-stage renal disease. The effect may be considered to be beneficial for the prevention of cardiovascular disease."

2. Advanced Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    Red grape juice extract reduces cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy and non-healthy patients

A report published in the July, 2006 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed the findings of researchers at the Hospital Ramon y Cajal in Madrid that drinking red grape juice can help lower low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, apoplipoprotein B-100, inflammation, and oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL), all of which, when elevated, increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

In the current study, 26 hemodialysis patients and 15 healthy individuals were instructed to consume 100 milliliters of a red grape juice drink daily for two weeks. Twelve individuals receiving hemodialysis who did not receive grape juice served as controls. Blood samples drawn at the beginning of the study, twice during the supplementation period, and twice during the six month follow-up were analyzed for lipids, apolipoproteins, oxidized LDL, total antioxidant capacity, antioxidant vitamins including tocopherols, carotenoids, vitamin C and quercetin, and other factors.

Plasma total antioxidant capacity, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and apoplipoprotein A-1 (the major lipoprotein found in HDL cholesterol) increased among all of the participants who received red grape juice, while LDL cholesterol, oxidized LDL, and apoplipoprotein B-100 (apolipoprotein B is the major apolipoprotein in LDL cholesterol) were reduced at the end of the two week intervention period. These levels returned to their approximate original values by the end of the follow up period. Additionally, monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 (MCP-1), a marker of inflammation, was lowered during 3 weeks of treatment with the juice in a further study of 10 hemodialysis patients, however, other inflammation markers were unaffected.

The authors conclude that "dietary supplementation with concentrated red grape juice exerts hypolipidemic, antioxidant, and antiinflammatory actions in both healthy subjects and patients with end-stage renal disease. The effect may be considered to be beneficial for the prevention of cardiovascular disease."
    I can't figure out why they didn't focus their research on proanthocyanadins, the active ingredient of the juice itself. Grapeseed xtract has worked wonders for me. Aside from protecting the body from oxidative stress and reducing inflammation, It also increases capillary fragility and increased bloodflow.
  3. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    I can't figure out why they didn't focus their research on proanthocyanadins, the active ingredient of the juice itself. Grapeseed xtract has worked wonders for me. Aside from protecting the body from oxidative stress and reducing inflammation, It also increases capillary fragility and increased bloodflow.
    Well, I think you put your finger on the answer to your question. We (the culture at large) keep focussing upon "the active ingredient" in this or that food item and time after time further research shows that these food items contain multiple actives which work synergistically with each other......that simply extracting the one compound which seems to have the most (for example antioxidant) effect is inferior to consuming the constellation of chemically related compounds found in many food items (coffee was recently found to prevent liver cancer - but coffee is composed of over 1000 different chemicals.....chances are that there isn't one active in there but rather that it's a synergistic effect of many of these chemicals responsbile for the observed cancer preventative effect).

Our understanding of how these compounds effect the body is becoming much more sophisticated. For example, we used to think of antioxidants as exerting a simple chemical interaction reducing oxidative stress and this was assumed to be the cause of the positive health effects observed. Now, we understand that in addition to reducing oxidative stress, they can reduce cellular inflamation (probably more important in preventing many diseases) AND they probably play a role in gene expression (turning the effects of various genes on and off) which is probably more significant that the other two understood mechanisms combined).

It's all very interesting.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Do any of you guys drink Pomegranate juice? I live on this stuff. The health benefits are well documented.

Pomegranate products: Pomegranate Juice, POM Tea, and fresh pomegranates
  5. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin13
    Do any of you guys drink Pomegranate juice? I live on this stuff. The health benefits are well documented.

Pomegranate products: Pomegranate Juice, POM Tea, and fresh pomegranates

LOL, just to show my inconsistency (see rant above) I take a pomegranate extract (supposedly dehydrated fruit)....but do drink a pomegranate/blueberry juice as well. Great stuff.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

I can honestly say when I have a bottle a day (smaller bottle 16 oz.) I feel a difference. I like the original flavor myself but blueberry is definitely second.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Grape Juice + Creatine Post Workout
    By Bildo_21 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM
  2. red grapes
    By revodrew in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 03:03 PM
  3. Red Rice Yeast Extract & Liver Health
    By Iron Warrior in forum Supplements