raw egg whites

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
For those who consume raw white; do you consider them equivalent to whole food or a shake in your daily diet? I have greatly reduced my dependence on shakes over the last year. I'll admit, at one time about 60% of my daily protein came from whey shakes.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
ya, i though so. I was just double checking because of all the talk to not base you protein intake around shakes, even casien. Well, egg whites are just as liquidous as any of my shakes.

What i started yesterday is 1c egg whites (about 7 large), 1c skim milk and 2 scoops chocolate casein. 80/15/1 405cals. Does a body good!

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
sounds like something im going to have to start eating at school...with some oats thrown in, quick and easy.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I was using an egg white product for a little while but I got really tired of the taste of it, cooked or in a shake.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
really, I cannot distingush a taste at all. I'm using ATW chocolate casien. Thats a damn satisfying shake. I love the viscosity the casein and eggs give it. Throw in 1/2 tray of ice cubes and some splenda and blend and it beats any milk shake out there.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
I have read that raw egg whites are not worth the trouble.

Supposively the egg protein is not really active until it is cooked. On top of that, what I read insisted that eating egg whites without the yolk was stupid because the egg contains a lot of the macronutrients.

StallionRx

Awards
I believe all of the beneficial protein within an egg resides in the white. Cooking however denatures the protein and causes the amino acid chains to break and mold into a solid mass which changes the solubility. Your body is better able to absorb and utilize the protein in the uncooked form. The egg yolk is a good source of iron, biotin, etc. but is also very high in cholesterol.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
raw eggs are FINE...i have heard both sides to that story and it seems that raw eggs are just fine.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Raw eggs are fine. I do recommend adding a yolk or two into the mix as eating just the whites can cause a biotin deficiency. The cholestoral from food sources will not significantly effect you lipid profile. Yolks are good. Eat some. Whites are good. Eat a lot. :D

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I love when (every 2 weeks) this debate comes up. Whites are fine. If you're afraid of raw, get pasturized whites in carton. Ask Bobo...

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
ya, i though so. I was just double checking because of all the talk to not base you protein intake around shakes, even casien. Well, egg whites are just as liquidous as any of my shakes.

What i started yesterday is 1c egg whites (about 7 large), 1c skim milk and 2 scoops chocolate casein. 80/15/1 405cals. Does a body good!
Again, I was not questioning the macro nutrient profile but the physical properties. I never give illness a second thought. Eight years of raw eggs and never a problem.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I have read that raw egg whites are not worth the trouble.

Supposively the egg protein is not really active until it is cooked. On top of that, what I read insisted that eating egg whites without the yolk was stupid because the egg contains a lot of the macronutrients.
Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme that keeps the protein from being bioavailable.

Egg Beaters and the like are pasteurized, so the protein is available.

I order bulk egg whites from Egg Whites International. You can buy a pump that measures out a precise amount each time. They are nearly tasteless so you can drink them alone, but I add them to shakes as well.

Egg White International - Food Products

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the link. Looks like some good products. jkarp, I've got a PM question for you.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme that keeps the protein from being bioavailable.

I order bulk egg whites from Egg Whites International. You can buy a pump that measures out a precise amount each time. They are nearly tasteless so you can drink them alone, but I add them to shakes as well.

Thanks for the info. I switched over to using egg beaters for my omelettes but sometimes I still use eggs. I am going to look into buying those liquid whites...thanks!

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Raw eggs are fine. I do recommend adding a yolk or two into the mix as eating just the whites can cause a biotin deficiency. The cholestoral from food sources will not significantly effect you lipid profile. Yolks are good. Eat some. Whites are good. Eat a lot. :D
I eat egg yolks all the time. Full of HDL. Yeah I've been told by a Doc that eating lots of eggs in general will only have beneficial results in reguards to low lipid levels. Good food for PCT!

txsteve

Awards
Man you just had to post that link. One click and two minutes later and I have two gallons coming. I need to hide my credit card while on here.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
10 egg whites with 1 yolk, 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein, and 1/2 cup blueberries every morning for me.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
10 egg whites with 1 yolk, 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein, and 1/2 cup blueberries every morning for me.
Copycat! Well almost.

2 yolks, 5 whites, 2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats and a full cup blueberries. Defrickenlicious.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
I read that raw eggwhites have a chemical in them that binds to biotin and causes your body to be starved of biotin leading to dryness in skin and hair, I have read that you should always cook your eggs...

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established

This is good news to me. I bought an entire crate of egg beaters and have been simply drinking them for the most part. I knew I must be absorbing it since I havent noticed any strengh lose. And drinking them doesnt make me bloated and gassy as I seem to be able to digest them easier uncooked.

tattoopierced1

Egg Whites Int. was at the Arnold with samples...I must say I was impressed, althought it is a bit pricey for the amount of eggs I eat daily..

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I read that raw eggwhites have a chemical in them that binds to biotin and causes your body to be starved of biotin leading to dryness in skin and hair, I have read that you should always cook your eggs...
Pasteurization takes care of this.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
this argument is still going on? this has been discussed ad nauseum. raw eggs are fine, as jrkarp pointed out, they're pasteurized. been eating raw eggs for over 8 years now and going strong.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Yes, and judging by your videos, raw eggs = good.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I love egg whites...looked at egg whites international, but they are pricey! I did the math. Egg Beater knockoffs 100% egg whites= $.75 per 8oz serving, EWI = $3.73 per 8oz serving.