Why Eat Avocados?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Why Eat Avocados?
By Suzy Cohen, R.Ph.

QUESTION: A friend of mine, who is a nutritionist, says I should eat avocados to reduce my risk for heart disease. My doctor says not to eat them -- they're too fatty. Can you settle this and tell me what to do?

ANSWER: Sure, but what kind of answer do you think you'll get? I love avocados and believe that the benefits far outweigh the fat content.

Technically, both your nutritionist and your doctor are correct. Avocados are high in calories -- about 200 calories for half a cup, according to the USDA Nutrient Database. Between 70 and 90 percent of the calories in avocados are from fat but it's "monounsaturated" fat, which lowers cholesterol and subsequently your risk for heart disease. It's the same with olives and olive oil.

The avocado beats all other fruits (yes, it is a fruit) in beta carotene and potassium content. If you are on certain diuretic drugs and have been told to eat a banana or drink orange juice daily for potassium, you should know that avocados are even better -- they contain more potassium than both bananas and orange juice. For diabetics, avocados -- also called "alligator pears" because of their shape and skin -- are a great choice because they don't contain a lot of sugar or starch.

Avocados contain heaps of protein, potassium, folic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, biotin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin E and vitamin K. Two other nutrients stand out as crucial to health. The first is beta sitosterol, which may ease symptoms of BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy). Guys, you may end up needing medicine costing hundreds of dollars a month, but one avocado will set you back about a dollar and lab analysis shows that avocados contain about 76 milligrams of beta sitosterol per three and a half ounces of raw, edible fruit. I'm not suggesting dollops of guacamole on top of meat-stuffed cheese burritos; I mean sliced-up avocados on top of a salad.

The second nutrient in avocados is glutathione. You need glutathione to stay alive and process dangerous by-products in the body. We produce it, but aging, certain drugs and disease conditions wipe it out. Avocados contain 15 to 20 millgrams of glutathione per 3 1/2 ounces. Glutathione is so helpful to the liver and digestion that studies have shown a correlation between eating glutathione (from fruits and veggies) and a lower risk for cancer, specifically oral and pharyngeal cancer.

Glutathione may be depleted from the body by many drugs, including acetaminophen (Tylenol), and depletions can cause joint pain. If you take this medication, it's good to supplement with glutathione, or eat lots of foods that contain it.

This information is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose your condition. Suzy Cohen is a registered pharmacist. To contact her, visit Welcome to Dear Pharmacist, Inc..

Dear Pharmacist. Distributed by Tribune Media Services.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What do Avocados taste like? I've never tried them i'd like to give them a shot.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
What do Avocados taste like? I've never tried them i'd like to give them a shot.
Difficult to describe taste. The texture is chalky/slimy and the fruit itself has mild flavor... wow this post is rather unhelpful... haha
cc

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
They don't actually taste like anything specific. The experience of eating one is very satisfying though (texture and calorie dense).

You pick a good one by squeezing them gently. If they give a little, then they are ripe. If they are firm, then they aren't ripe yet.

California Avocado Commission - Selecting & Handling

Once ripe, you slice it in half (there will be a big pit in the center).....and then take the avocado "meat" out of the skin shell (it should remove easily with a spoon). You can then put slices on just about anything.

California Avocado Commission - Healthy, Low Carb, Low Fat, Cooking Recipes using Avocados. Main menus, Appetizers, Desserts.

rocknroll

Awards
These are one of my very favorite foods on the planet but I didn't know they were so packed with goods. Nice post!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like them sliced up on sandwiches.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Great info, did not know a few of those things. I love my guac...mmmm

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Good post YR, as a kid I always thought I didnt like them because of the color, but I tryed some the other day and really liked it, now I like it more seeing how good it is for you.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
If you're feeling adventurous, make them into a shake. Vanilla whey protein + milk + avocado + splenda (add green tea if you have any). It tastes AMAZING. The texture in the avocado, along with the added fat make this literally taste like a vanilla milkshake.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're feeling adventurous, make them into a shake. Vanilla whey protein + milk + avocado + splenda (add green tea if you have any). It tastes AMAZING. The texture in the avocado, along with the added fat make this literally taste like a vanilla milkshake.

hmm interesting idea... i might have to give it a try

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I generally like to try things once...
I'll give it a try tomorrow
I'm usually the same way, but this doesn't sound appealing to me as far as taste goes. It's hard for me to get enough calories down though and this sounds like it could be an interesting option. to add some needed cals.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how many grams of fat does one average sized avacodo contain?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Interesting idea.....I think adding the green tea would be a must here.....it would be a nice compliment to the avocado taste.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I love avocados, but don't think I'd like them mixed in a shake. It is an excellent food paired up with a chicken breast though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love avocados, but don't think I'd like them mixed in a shake. It is an excellent food paired up with a chicken breast though.
yeah thats what i use in place of a carb meal on a carb resisted diet and surprisely 1/2 of avacoda(about 12 -15 grams fat) fills me up with chicken breast. or tuna or tukey or whatever:clap2:

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Did you all give this a try? Yeah, it doesn't seem like it would go into a shake, but it does and it's AMAZING. I first got the idea of it as a dessert when I tried an avocado/mango salad. Remember, it's a fruit :) But then again, so are tomatoes, lol.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
By the way, avocado + whey + skim milk + splenda is godly as well. In Asian countries, they eat avocado, milk/cream, and sugar for an amazing dessert.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
they are deeeelicious!last night i sliced up half of one and just ate it straight up with a lil bit of my favorite dressing to dip in.
i eat a good amount of them.good healthy fats.lots of good nutes.med doctors telling u not to eat them cuz they are high and fat and therefor bad for u do not know wtf they are talking about.and they themselves are more likely fat and unhealthy and shouldnt be giving advice anyways!

doom3q

Banned
Awards
I only eat them raw but they're still awesome. They taste weird at first but you get used to it and want more. I've been eating them daily for about 6 months now and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

I agree with you juggernaut, alot of doctors don't know ****, not just on steroids, but on health and nutrition!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing "The Cut Diet" that is available free from Scivation. It is a contest prep diet (I won't be competing), and it allows you to eat as much as maybe 15oz of avocado per day :food:

This is definitely one of my favorite foods.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
...one of, if not, the best creamiest satisfying tastes I have ever enjoyed. Sushi would not be the same with out avacados!!!