Need some help ( take a look please )

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to get you to take a look at my diet, and tell me what you think ...

I do not know much at all about nutrition and dieting, but I am trying to understand it by reading on here. I am or was the type of person who could eat as much as I wanted, and it did not matter what I ate, and I would not gain weight.
I joined this forum, and learned that I was not eatting right, and was also not taking in hardly any protein at all.
My wife has made some changes to our diet, and I have already seen improvements. My abs are showing, and I lost most of the fat that I got on my obliques.
I have also recently joined fitday.com, and I now can see how much fat and calories and crabs i am taking in.
What I am looking to do is to get up to 180lbs by Christmas. I am currently at 171lbs now. I am wanting to gain lean body mass.
I know that my diet is still out of wack, but trust me, it is alot better than it used to be.. Below is the info I have gathered from fitday.com over the last 4 days.
Please take a look, and tell me what you think I need to do to get to goal I have set for myself. I appreicate any help you have to offer. And yes, I will continue to read and learn and to search so that I can get better at this.

Total 2892 Calories Average

Fat 137 Grams 1233 Cals 43%
Carbs 279 Grams 1019 Cals 36%
Protein 152 Grams 610 Cals 21%

I am not that smart at this , I am guessing I need to cut the fat intake down, and increase the Protein more.... ( Not sure )
I am not sure about this, Do I need to cut the fat way down, or keep it in to help gain weight ? Or will that give me the wrong kinda weight ( FAT )? From some of the threads I have read, I am guessing I need to take in 3000 calories a day to gain the weight I am looking for as long as its the right foods ?

Oh yeah, More about me.
I am 5ft 10 or 11 inches tall
171 lbs
Small bone structure
38yrs old

Here is a link to the pic I just posted up in the pic area.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/48784-progress-pic.html

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Whats up stinger, glad to see you were able to get the diet up here after I talked with ya.

Personally at 171 lbs, 2892 calories is not enough if you are planning on getting up to 180 lbs, no offense, but especially at your age. Androgen levels decline dramatically around that age.

One thing I see first off is the fat content is a little high. I don't know if you are just planning on straight bulking or if you are wanting to lean bulk but 137g of fat for someone your size is a little high and can be brought down a bit. Carbs aren't all that bad but protein is WAYYYYY too low. The action of protein is two fold. For one it can aide in keeping insulin levels lower than just straight loading on carbohydrates since some of the protein you consume will be converted to glycogen and it takes calories to do this. Protein also obviously serves the purpose of aiding in muscle growth and recovery. I consume around 350g of protein a day. I try to keep my fat around 75-90g if I can and my carbs are pretty high but for different reasons.

Post up a screenshot of what exactly you are eating. Moreso the TYPE of food you are eating is more important than macronutrient breakdown.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
:goodpost:

What he said.

P.S. Damn you LMD, I was typing pretty much the same thing you posted, I go to preview post, and theres your post sitting there, taunting me.:twisted:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
P.S. Damn you LMD, I was typing pretty much the same thing you posted, I go to preview post, and theres your post sitting there, taunting me.:twisted:
He doesn't wash his hands after oiling up for the locals to ogle. Makes his fingers fly over the keys.

:bb2:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

What he said.

;), I waited until you were JUST ABOUT to push the preview key then I submitted.....purposely!

Ohhhh BP what am I going to do with you, this whole jealousy thing has to stop :D.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Ohhhh BP what am I going to do with you, this whole jealousy thing has to stop :D.

Just let me apply the oil as requested. I'll be gentle, just the way you like it.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply LAKE..

I knew my fat intake was probably gonna be way to high, So my wife and I are talking right now about what kinda foods we need to get to get it down and the protein up there.
If you or anyone else has any ideas, about what would be some good foods that are high in protein and low in fat, please post it up.
Anyway, Here is what I have eatten in the last 4 days...
Don't slam me to hard now...

Tuesday
7AM - Low Fat Yogurt and a Protein Shake
9AM - Instant oatmeal and sometimes a Tuna fish sandwich
12 Noon - Grilled fish
2:30 - 1 Cup of dry roasted peanuts
Supper - Spagetti and meat balls 2 servings and 1 piece of garlic toast
1 Dr Pepper ( My weakness.. But have cut down to only 1 a day Used to be 3 a day )
One 10oz cup of coffee with cream and sugar.

Wednesday
7AM - Low Fat Yogurt and a Protein Shake with 8 oz of 1% milk
10oz cup of coffee with cream and sugar
12 Noon - Spagetti and meatballs 2 servings and 2 pieces of garlic toast ( Left overs )
2PM - 1 Cup of dry roasted peanuts
1 Dr Pepper
Supper - One Big Mac from Mc Donalds with French fries.

Thursday
12 Noon - 1 Chicken sandwich from Mc Donalds and 1 cup of corn chips
1 - Dr Pepper
Snicker Bar some where that morning.
2PM - 1 cup of peanuts
3:30 - 1 Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich
Supper - 8oz Steak and Baked Potato with cheese, Sour cream and salt and pepper

Friday
12 Noon - Hamburger from Sonic and fries
2 Dr Peppers
Supper - 4 slices of superme Pizza
Beef Jerky a few pieces
1 Protein Shake

Think thats about it.. I usually only eat a hamburger once a week. But at least I was honest about it. I know I probably need to cut the Dr Peppers out.
How about the Peanuts.. I was just eatting them for the calories, but they are also high in fat to . Any thoughts ?

And yeah, I know this is not that good, but trust me.. I used to eat everything.. And that would include Ice Cream right before I went to bed. I know I have alot of work to do, but I am presistant and will do what Is asked of me to get to my goals.

Thanks again for your help.

Take it easy on me now..:icon_lol:

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Wow... No oil need here either guys..:run:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Don't try to fix it all at once. Just keep reading/studying about nutrition and start incorporating what you learn a bit at a time into your diet. It is easier to make small changes over time vs. a dramatic sudden change. Your doing great. Stick with it.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
I agree with BP. It's hard to make such dramatic changes overnight. But if you're trying to lean bulk and add as much muscle while keeping fat gains minimal, you're gonna have to cut out the junk (Mcdonalds, Sonic, Pizza, Dr. Pepper, Corn Chips). But I think you already know that.

Slowly start incorporating healthier choices (chicken, tuna, lean beef, whole wheat breads and pastas, vegetabls/fruits, brown rice, natty peanut butter, fish/flax oil).

It's going to be harder to get the amount of calories you need to add on mass when you eat clean, but your results will be that much cleaner in return.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off, it is great that you are attempting to change your dietary habits for the better. That thought alone makes you better than half the people I know. Anyway, onto the diet. Without doing a full breakdown (as I am too lazy) it would seem you may need to incorporate another meal of whole food where you are only snacking on Nuts or when you have your coffee. Make the sometimes Tuna Fish sandwhich an always, if you are sick of whole wheat bread, whole/multi grain or bagels often have FAR less added sugar and are my preferred alternative. You want to keep insulin and subsequent glucose response a stable one, avoiding spikes and drops. Adding extra meals allows your bodies metabolism to not only become faster, but far, far more stable. Meaning your body will be able to effectively utilize the nutrients you are giving it.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah the diet doesn't look too bad bro. Things like garlic bread are a horrible route to go however, since it is white bread, which is very high GI (releases a lot of insulin, which will cause fat retention), and you also put high fat butter and cheese on them, which doesn't help.

I understand the weakness for soft drinks, but they are horrible in not only do they have pure sugar, but they dehydrate you badly. It takes 16 oz of water to rehydrate you from 8 oz. of soda.

With the coffee try to use splenda, equal, or sweet n' low instead of sugar. All of these little things add up. They may be small, subtle changes but things like this definitely add up and will help in the long run without completely ruining the way you eat.

I will comment more tomorrow when it isn't 3 a.m. lol.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the information and encouragement guys. My wife stood here and read your comments with me, and she said she will help me to change the habits. I used splenda the other day, and I have to say that it is not that bad. That is one I can do for sure.
Let me ask this. How often can you eat fish. I read somewhere that its not safe to eat it really often because of the Mercury in it.
I think I can cut the Dr Pepper out, It is a weakness, but I have already cut it way down. I will start on that today also.
Is there a fruit juice that would or could be a replacement ?
I will be checking back, so if you have any more info, just let me know..

Thanks again.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
There's nothing wrong with eating fish. There is some controversy out there about eating tuna and other various fish because they may contain mercury. I personally don't think that the whole mercury debate is an issue. There's going to be some mercury in the fish you eat yes, but not enough to do any damage for the most part unless all you eat is fish 24/7.

A real life savor for me when it came to kicking the soda habit, was Crystal Lite. You can buy it in individual "on the go" serving packets, or in larger serving packages. My favorite flavors are fruit punch and the orange. It really helped me out in the beginning kicking the 12 pack of Coke a day. :D

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Kool, I will look into that.. Wow, a 12 pack of coke a day..:jaw:
And My wife thought I was bad wiith 3 Dr Peppers a day..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Kool, I will look into that.. Wow, a 12 pack of coke a day..:jaw:
And My wife thought I was bad wiith 3 Dr Peppers a day..
Why not switch to diet? I noticed Diet Dr. Pepper is definitely one of the better diet soft drinks out there. I have also noticed that after drinking diet for a while you come to like it more and the regular stuff is just too damn sugary.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
If your worried about mercury, eat smaller fish. They have a lower concentration than larger/older fish.

Examples:
Catfish
Cod
Flounder/Sole
Grouper
Haddock
Herring
Mahi-mahi
Ocean perch
Rainbow trout
Salmon
Sardines
Tilapia

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat upto three cans a day and I do not have three legs and an extra eyeball in my ass, so I think you are good.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I eat upto three cans a day and I do not have three legs and an extra eyeball in my ass, so I think you are good.
Just remember that MS is Canadian and they use "can" and "ass" interchangeably.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Never been one for diet cokes or Dr Pepper. Been along while since I tried one though, so I will see.

Thanks for the info on the fish and the different types.

I am gonna try to up my protein starting today. Maybe 2 to three shakes should help. Also got my wife to pick up some chicken breast that are already cooked. I will see about eatting one or two aday .
On the canned tuna... Just eat it out of the can, or can or should I put anything in with it ? Like Mayo to help it taste a bit better ?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Shakes can help but be careful of taking too much powdered protein as it causes a lot of gastrointestinal trouble. Gas being the worse one haha. Digestive enzymes can help and some proteins have digestive enzymes in them although they never seem to work all that well. Solid food protein is definitely a better way to go but I understand you can't get all your protein from these sources.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, If I drink to much milk, then things get alittle tough on me.:blink: ( If ya know what I mean ) :icon_lol: