Suggestions: What to eat while I'm away???/

1. Gold Member
    Answers

Suggestions: What to eat while I'm away???/

I'm headed west for a conference next week, and I have no idea how accessible healthy food will be. Anyone have any suggestions for protein saviors? I hope there will be a supermarket nearby, but I will inevitably end up eating in restaurants a lot. I'll try to pick up some cottage cheese out there. In addition, I will bring
    -canned chix
    -RTD protein shakes
    -Maybe some protein bars (Avid bars are good)
    -Beef Jerky (is the protein in this destroyed?

If anyone has any good ideas, please do not hesitate. I have been making huge progress and I don't want to blow it here.

2. Board Supporter
    Answers

Well..you can hire me to follow you around and watch what you eat. I'll bring a tazer and if you try to pick up something with a GI of, let's be nice, 60 > *, I will tazer you in the back. I'll keep an daily update of your food intake on fitday, if you're protein intake drops below 200grams, I will shave your eye brows in your sleep. And lastly, I'll be keeping a watch on your partioning, mainly focusing on a 40/40/20 diet or better, if your partioning isn't satisfying, I'll leave a wild cougar in your room.
  3. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Last time I traveled I would hit up a grocery store where I was staying and pick up a bunch of the pateurized egg whites and chug em throughout the day. Also would get a lot of fruit with low gi like apples, peaches, green bananas etc. You are not going to be working out so in addition to needing less cals you can make do with more of the fruit since your muscles won't require as much glycogen replenishment. If you don't mind the sodium low fat Triscuits and smoked salmon are awesome together (even better with some lowfat cream cheese).

You could also run a short term keto diet as well. Eat all the protein and fat ya want and easy to find candidates on restaurant menu's.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Be,

If you are going to be around this area, you need to shop at this store. THis store has amazing food and plenty of stuff that will get you throw the week:

Trader Joe's Locations

Besides that, just eat a lot of chicken, tuna, and turkey. And protein shakes, buy Skim Milk, etc. Keep the carbs clean, bring a lot of oats. You know what to do B. But you really have to hit up TJs if you can.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

How far west you coming? Name a city and you might get some very specific recommendations.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Low salt Jerky
    MRPs
    Bars
    Nuts

I brought 2 boxes worth of Myoplex Deluxe with me on my trip to Dominican, also brought some bars. I'd go with Zero Impact by VPX, i love those things! They've got cla, sesamin and sweet potatoe in them! How cool is that. They are higher on the fat scale though at 21g's but it's good fat. Snack on jerky and nuts. You can also bring some of that tuna in packets if you want. For the jerky i'd suggest you make your own, the store but stuff can taste like ass it's so processed. Other than that i say enjoy yourself and just try not to OVER endulge, or atleast space it out.
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Hey, story of my life, I hit a ton of conferences a year.
    In my case I always pack:
    Tuna - the foil bag stuff is great for snacks.
    Oatmeal - by using the coffe maker to heat up water you can make a tone of oatmeal.
    Protein powder - I use is as shakes and in my oatmeal.
    Wraps - I take low carb tortilla style, they keep really well and I can throw one of the tuna packs in it to make a tuna wrap.

That tends to keep me going when I don't have a fridge.
    Eating out is pretty simple, chicken with the sauce on the side and veg is easy to get pretty much anywhere you go.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Protein powder
    Ground oats
    Bars - I like the new VPX bars, they're actually very nutrituous
    Cashews
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Ya they are SIC bars! I love em
  10. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rage (SoCal)
    Well..you can hire me to follow you around and watch what you eat. I'll bring a tazer and if you try to pick up something with a GI of, let's be nice, 60 > *, I will tazer you in the back. I'll keep an daily update of your food intake on fitday, if you're protein intake drops below 200grams, I will shave your eye brows in your sleep. And lastly, I'll be keeping a watch on your partioning, mainly focusing on a 40/40/20 diet or better, if your partioning isn't satisfying, I'll leave a wild cougar in your room.
    Either lay off the crack or go into business full-time

I go to Trader Joe's almost every weekend here in Boston. I'd hit it up twice weekly, but it is far away (by my standards--20min). I'll be psyched to find one out there. They have some good flavored, frozen, chicken breasts.
  11. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    How far west you coming? Name a city and you might get some very specific recommendations.
    Beautiful San Diego, CA. I already told Rage that, so he sent me a Trader Joe's link. I hope that is near my hotel.

Thanks for the input! Definitely some great suggestions. I hope to minimize the damage of this trip. Inevitably, I will consume quite a few beers while out there. I'm going to be getting to know the staff that I'll be working with next year, and I have a feeling this will be inevitable. I'll just make sure I hit cardio at the hotel every day.
  12. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Beautiful San Diego, CA. I already told Rage that, so he sent me a Trader Joe's link. I hope that is near my hotel.

Thanks for the input! Definitely some great suggestions. I hope to minimize the damage of this trip. Inevitably, I will consume quite a few beers while out there. I'm going to be getting to know the staff that I'll be working with next year, and I have a feeling this will be inevitable. I'll just make sure I hit cardio at the hotel every day.

There is a marine base there, most likely you will see alot of fast food joints, but usually, they have some nice heathy stores around base.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What to eat while living out of a van on the road?
    By redrobe in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
  3. What to drink while eating?
    By swtnycboy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 12:29 PM
  4. What to eat after a low intensity cardio session?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 09:16 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 01:36 AM