Need help to boost metabolism

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Help me out guys. I have a desk job and I sit the whole day.

I need some suggestions that will help keep my metabolism going and my energy boosted: prefer natty, but open to suggestions. I'm looking for more stuff similar to this post by BigVrunga (if there even is more...hope he doesn't mind)
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/512672-post14.html

Maybe some more specific food suggestions or little pointers from others that sit all day. Shoot away!

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Make sure to eat breakfast, and do some cardio in the morning before work. Also, try and eat some small snacks throughout the day. You could also try walking up and down the stairs for like 10-15 mintues while on your lunch break.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
eating 5-6 meals (or like 3 meals with snacks) every 2-3 hours will keep your metablism firing on all cylinders. Cardio in the morning will also help ramp it up but I dont know if time permits.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
What helps me is constant eating throughout the day, Big breakfast then I bring 3 meals to work but eat something every 1-1.5 hours throughout the day. Unfortunately I can't get cardio in unless I got up at 3am (that's not happening) so I bring my bike to work and get out when I can to run errands etc just to get out from behind the desk. Try to walk as much as I can during the day also but that's limited. It's helped alot, but once you start getting older it's limited 15 years ago if I did what I'm doing now I'd be shredded!

At 25 if you follow all the general advice given it should make a big difference!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are there any specific foods that I should be eating that will assist in keeping my metabolism steady? I usually eat cottage cheese throughout the day or throw in a protein shake with some ground oats.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I agree with everyone here.

Constantly drink water.
If you work in a big office walk around a lot like I do.
Eat very often. I eat about every hour.
Store oats in your desk. Store protein powder in your desk.
If you wanted, you can even squeeze your abs while your while. This may not have immediate effects but over a span of time it will....

That is about it for right now...do those things, it should help.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did search, BUT I used the word metabolism and not metabolic. Even then most of the things that came up involved taking supps and I'm trying to avoid taking anything if possilbe. Thanks for the link though.

Yeah, I have read that article before and I found it interesting. Unfortunately I'm already one of those people that can't sit still for the life of me.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I am in the same situation as you, and found that drinking plenty of water gives me an excuse to walk to the bathroom :) , so this way, I get a walk every 25 minutes ;) And stop by the fountain to fill water up again :) I also would like to find time to do some cardio in the morning.. But I eat 8 meals a day, and am feeling pretty well, just be carefull if there is a cafeteria there. Dont eat their crap. Make your own lunches, like whey in a shaker, protein bars, fruits, etc..

Good luck ;)

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I am in the same situation as you, and found that drinking plenty of water gives me an excuse to walk to the bathroom :) , so this way, I get a walk every 25 minutes ;)
Ah, but our bathroom is right near the receptionist. I'm pretty sure she thinks I have a medical problem.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Ah, but our bathroom is right near the receptionist. I'm pretty sure she thinks I have a medical problem.
LoL, I'm thinking of moving my office into the bathroom, or at least install a toliet in my office! (please knock before entering, likely pissing)

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Hehe, happends to me all the time, people asking questions, but I tell them its part of my diet and staying hydrated is very important if you want to encourage gains. They understand most of the time ;)

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
if your metabolism is burnt out, cut down on stims (often hard if your already feeling tired) and let your adrenals recover if necessary. Try to up your low glycemic carbs and possibly lower protein (your protein synthesis rates will be suppressed if thyroid is suppressed) to get the thyroid working again. Make sure you get good sleep, and look to see if you might have any problematic yet hidden food allergies.

thats a few things to help. Also, keep to sane levels of working out, don't tax the CNS unnecessarily.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you get good sleep, and look to see if you might have any problematic yet hidden food allergies.
This is a typical night of sleep for me: 1) Fall asleep about 30 minutes after turning out the lights and tv. 2) Wake up no more than two hours later. 3) Toss and turn for 15-20 minutes. 4) Fall asleep. 5) Wake up again--almost always 45 minutes after last looking at the clock. 6)Repeat steps 3 and on until it's time get up. I set my alarm clock everynight in hopes of waking up to that annoying sound, but unfortunately I have never that pleasure. :yawn:

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
This is a typical night of sleep for me: 1) Fall asleep about 30 minutes after turning out the lights and tv. 2) Wake up no more than two hours later. 3) Toss and turn for 15-20 minutes. 4) Fall asleep. 5) Wake up again--almost always 45 minutes after last looking at the clock. 6)Repeat steps 3 and on until it's time get up. I set my alarm clock everynight in hopes of waking up to that annoying sound, but unfortunately I have never that pleasure. :yawn:
Oh, boy, have you tried some valerian root?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope. Tried Melatonin at 3mg for awhile, but that quit working. I was only using that for three or four days a week and would go natural Thursday thru Saturday.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Valerian helps me a little bit you can also give 5-htp a try. Its found in turkey, so it a natural enzyme.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Nope. Tried Melatonin at 3mg for awhile, but that quit working. I was only using that for three or four days a week and would go natural Thursday thru Saturday.
USP labs product REM R3G works wonderful for sleep:

SynergyMuscle