Cherries Are a Tasty Source of Antioxidants

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Cherries Are a Tasty Source of Antioxidants

The Topeka Capital-Journal

06-14-06

People have enjoyed both tart and sweet varieties of cherries almost since the beginning of time. More than 650 million pounds of cherries are produced in the U.S. every year.

Besides being tasty, cherries are also extremely nutritious. They are low in calories, fat and sodium, and high in fiber, vitamin C, beta carotene and potassium.

Ongoing research shows that cherries are a rich source of antioxidants that may help fight the inflammation of arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Studies indicate cherries have significant levels of melatonin - a potent antioxidant that can defend cells against harmful carcinogens and free radical damage.

The pigment of the cherries contains anthocyanins, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.

Try these tips for adding cherries to your healthy diet:

n Enjoy fresh Bing cherries, which are now in season, in a fruit salad to add color and a sweet taste.

n Add dried cherries to oatmeal or your favorite snack mix or as a delicious addition to your recipes.

n Keep a container of cherries in the fridge for a quick and healthy snack option.

Enjoy this warm breakfast or brunch recipe with tart cherries and start your day in a healthy way.

Cherry Oatmeal Bake

1/2cup dried tart cherries

1/2cup quick oats, uncooked

1/4cup sugar

1/8teaspoon salt

2cups skim milk

1/4cup egg substitute

1/2teaspoon almond extract

Combine cherries, oats, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk, egg substitute and almond extract. Spray four 10-ounce custard cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide mixture evenly between custard cups.

Place filled cups on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350- degree oven, 30 to 40 minutes, or until centers are still slightly soft. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional analysis per serving: calories, 195; carbohydrates, 37 grams; protein, 8 grams; cholesterol, 2.5 milligrams; fat, 1.5 grams; saturated fat, 0 grams; sodium, 165 milligrams; and fiber, 1 grams.

Melissa Moore, R.D., L.D. is a registered dietitian at the Cotton- O'Neil Heart Center, a division of Stormont-Vail HealthCare. Call Health Connections at (785) 354-5225.

guruji111

Awards
Hello yeahright, for telling us the healing power of cherries. But frankly speaking, I hate them to eat. I am very sensitive and cannot withstand the taste of cherry. But since you have mentioned here that cherries can fight against even cancer, I will try to include it into my food.

Last edited by a moderator:
MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Hello yeahright, for telling us the healing power of chilies. But frankly speaking, I hate them to eat. I am very sensitive and cannot withstand the taste of chilly. But since you have mentioned here that chilies can fight against even cancer, I will try to include it into my food.
1st post ever and you have no idea what you're talking about? Or am i missing something? Chili....this is CHERRIES!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1st post ever and you have no idea what you're talking about? Or am i missing something? Chili....this is CHERRIES!
LOL, yeah I think he miss read it.

Anybody have any idea of the carb composition in cherries?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nevermind... found it:

Per 100grams
Carbohydrate, by difference g 16.01
Fiber, total dietary g 2.1
Sugars, total g 12.82
Sucrose g 0.15
Glucose (dextrose) g 6.59
Fructose g 5.37

Looks like they could make a decent pwo addition.