10 Dirtiest Foods That Can Make You Sick

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

Open your refrigerator. Take a good look inside. Chances are you have some of the dirtiest--and most dangerous--foods in there. Eat them and you could get very sick.

Men's Health magazine has identified the 10 dirtiest foods--from bad burgers and dangerous deli meats to hazardous health foods.

The Dirty 10:

1. Chicken
In one study cited by Men's Health, more than 40 percent of chicken samples contained bacteria that can sicken, including E. coli.

2. Ground Beef
Simply because of the way ground beef is made through heavy processing, it has the potential to be loaded with deadly E. coli bacteria and more.

3. Ground Turkey
One in four packages of ground turkey tested by Men's Health contained bacteria. This becomes a greater concern as more people substitute ground turkey for ground beef thinking it's a healthier alternative.

4. Oysters
Beware of raw oysters! Many are tainted not only with bacteria, but also the Norovirus.

5. Eggs
The incredible edible egg is also associated with more than 600,000 cases of food poisoning each year and more than 300 deaths. Cook eggs completely and never eat them raw.

6. Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe rinds often contain dangerous bacteria that are hard to wash away. Cut through that rind with a knife and the bacteria can be transferred to the fruit.

7. Peaches
This favorite juicy summer fruit is dangerous because the peach fuzz makes it difficult to clean off all the pesticides.

8. Pre-Packaged Tossed Salads
These bagged salads are one of the greatest conveniences of the past decade, but they can also be one of the biggest sources of food poisoning since the contents are often contaminated with E. Coli, according to Men's Health.

9. Cold Cuts
It looks like delicious shaved ham or turkey to you. But it could contain the dangerous bacteria Listeria, which is especially risky for infants and the elderly. Listeria can be spread by the deli slicer, and it can even grow in a cold refrigerator. What can you do? Experts advise you to transfer the deli meat to a fresh package when you get home and only buy enough for one week at a time.

10. Scallions
If these green onions are left uncooked, they have the potential to become bacterial breeding grounds. They've also been linked to fatal outbreaks of Hepatitis-A.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
great, just great, Now Ive lost my appetite :( What is this world coming too :(

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
You've got me scared about the scallions. My local Pei Wei serves up my fav dish with scallions. Now I'm gonna tell them to leave it out.

::Thinks to self:: Now there's one more thing I can't/won't eat.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
That's enough for me, I'll never eat meat, vegetables or fruit again!

DOUGHNUTS ARE STILL SAFE , RIGHT?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Havent had problems yet so Ill just keep living as is.

I like to take risks in life... wait isnt that what Big Ben just said...

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Damn, my fav food had to be the first on the list... Oh well, won't stop me from putting down at least 30oz of chicken a day.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
were the samples cooked or raw??? I doubt they were cooked

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Down here in San Diego, the restuarant chain known as Pat & Oscar's had their lettuce contaminated with Hepatits A, my ex girlfriend's parents were both sick as dogs for like a week.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Well stated.
Well, once you've had a serious bout of food poisoning (laying on the floor of the bathroom contemplating calling 911), you approach these things a little differently. I've cut out many of the obvious risks and then gone on with my life.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not doing something out of ignorance is one thing but to ignore safety when given the information is another. No where does it say you can't eat those foods. It just lists the risks associated with them if not handled properly. Cook to proper temps., wash thoroughly and use clean utensils when cutting,serving,consuming na dyou'll be fine 99%(made up figure) of the time.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, once you've had a serious bout of food poisoning (laying on the floor of the bathroom contemplating calling 911), you approach these things a little differently. I've cut out many of the obvious risks and then gone on with my life.

Well stated.... assuming all obvious risks are cut out. :run:

urocyon

Awards
I like to take risks in life... wait isnt that what Big Ben just said...
Maybe if I eat enough chicken I can get my picture in "Extreme E-zine".

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
not cool since i drink raw eggs everyday and eat packaged salad every day :(

mnickerson

mnickerson

Board Supporter
Awards
I usually cook up enough chicken breast to last me 4-5 days using my George Forman grill. Does anyone know if the risk of getting food poisoning increases if you put your chicken in zip locks and refrigerate?

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
higher than 40 and lower than 140 are the degrees that bacteria starts to grow. the original post was good, but it sure as hell is not gonna stop me from eating those foods.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I usually cook up enough chicken breast to last me 4-5 days using my George Forman grill. Does anyone know if the risk of getting food poisoning increases if you put your chicken in zip locks and refrigerate?
I do the same thing except I wrap them in tinfoil (probably better off using the zip lock) it may increase a little but you'll be fine. Probably 90-95% of the people on here do the same thing (if we were cooking chicken everytime we ate it we'd be in the kitchen all day)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Cook anything to 165 degrees and you're good.:D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
what if we used the kind of lettuce that's prepackaged but it's triple hydro washed for added convenience??

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards

Open your refrigerator. Take a good look inside. Chances are you have some of the dirtiest--and most dangerous--foods in there. Eat them and you could get very sick.

Men's Health magazine has identified the 10 dirtiest foods--from bad burgers and dangerous deli meats to hazardous health foods.

3. Ground Turkey
One in four packages of ground turkey tested by Men's Health contained bacteria. This becomes a greater concern as more people substitute ground turkey for ground beef thinking it's a healthier alternative.

A good reason why NOT to get your health info from Men's Health. "One in four packages of ground turkey tested by Men's Health contained bacteria." Good Lord!!! No NOT BACTERIA!!!.

Bacteria live on Everything. "This becomes a greater concern as more people substitute ground turkey for ground beef thinking it's a healthier alternative." Uhhh...see #2 ground beef.

Cook 1-3.....problem solved. This f...ing bacteria-phobic society:frustrate

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
I usually freeze it if it's going to be more than a day in the fridge. While bacterial growth slows at refrigerator temps, it still grows.

Redeemer

Awards
Dude,
maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges here since I cook my food and I (think) I'm human, but I feed my dogs raw chicken almost every day. When I'm not feeding them raw chicken, it's ground beef or ground turkey. I often include fresh (bagged for convenience) spinach and other veggies with the ground meat. Not only have they never gotten sick, but I would give my left nut to have the LBM that my dogs do. I'm not trying to prove anything here, but want simply to add some food for thought.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Being safe is one thing, but IMO exposure to dirt, dust, bacteria and fungus is normal. All the germaphobes succeed in doing is having a virgin immune sytem that is ill (pun intended) prepared to deal with illness. One of the most disgusting people i know happens to be a disabled man who just happens to throw his feces when irate, and wipe without toilet paper due to OCD and constantly flushing it away. My point is awhile back everyone i work with got the flu including the two gentlemen i work with one being the aforementioned diabled man. I was puking throwing up for hours, he got up a few times to the toilet to crap, never threw up once. All of us were deathly ill throwing up for two days and he was sick overnight. This tells me either its fluke or his constant exposure to bacteria has given him a super immune system. Anti bacterial soaps have thier place but IMO its when dealing with animal or human fluids. Everybody has a delicate balance of bacteria and fungus living on our bodies and all anti bacterial soaps cleaners, detergents, sprays achieve is to ruin the balance causing a fungal overgrowth. balance is needed to ensure neither fungus or bacteria get too dominant. To avoid problems cook food as mentioned and when vacationing and at home avoid food in the sun and things that turn quickly like dairy and egg salad and such. To me the biggest risk is not bacteria itself its the slob of a cook who lives with mom and doesnt was his hands after coughing in his hand or using the bathroom. At home you know whats been on your food in a restaurant you dont.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards

The Dirty 10:

1. Chicken
In one study cited by Men's Health, more than 40 percent of chicken samples contained bacteria that can sicken, including E. coli.

2. Ground Beef
Simply because of the way ground beef is made through heavy processing, it has the potential to be loaded with deadly E. coli bacteria and more.

3. Ground Turkey

4. Oysters
Beware of raw oysters! Many are tainted not only with bacteria, but also the Norovirus.

5. Eggs
The incredible edible egg is also associated with more than 600,000 cases of food poisoning each year and more than 300 deaths. Cook eggs completely and never eat them raw.

6. Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe rinds often contain dangerous bacteria that are hard to wash away. Cut through that rind with a knife and the bacteria can be transferred to the fruit.

7. Peaches
This favorite juicy summer fruit is dangerous because the peach fuzz makes it difficult to clean off all the pesticides.

8. Pre-Packaged Tossed Salads
These bagged salads are one of the greatest conveniences of the past decade, but they can also be one of the biggest sources of food poisoning since the contents are often contaminated with E. Coli, according to Men's Health.

9. Cold Cuts
It looks like delicious shaved ham or turkey to you. But it could contain the dangerous bacteria Listeria, which is especially risky for infants and the elderly. Listeria can be spread by the deli slicer, and it can even grow in a cold refrigerator. What can you do? Experts advise you to transfer the deli meat to a fresh package when you get home and only buy enough for one week at a time.

10. Scallions
If these green onions are left uncooked, they have the potential to become bacterial breeding grounds. They've also been linked to fatal outbreaks of Hepatitis-A.
Articles like this one are one of the reasons Men's Health readers look the way they do :p

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established

The Dirty 10:

1. Chicken

Consumer Reports published just this month on finding 83% of chicken they tested was positive for campylobacter or salmonella ( Consumer Reports Exposes Chicken Contamination )

The article I link above is full of information about how to protect against the germs.

Not to get political or anything, but it was just a couple of years ago that the White House moved to reduce safety requirements on these industries and make most of the safety measures voluntary and self-regulated. This change occurred in both the meat and vegetable industries, and suddenly we're seeing waves of infections from lettuce, spinach, onions, and all sorts of meats--almost double from 3 years ago, according to Consumer Reports.

TheDrive

Awards
Not doing something out of ignorance is one thing but to ignore safety when given the information is another. No where does it say you can't eat those foods. It just lists the risks associated with them if not handled properly. Cook to proper temps., wash thoroughly and use clean utensils when cutting,serving,consuming na dyou'll be fine 99%(made up figure) of the time.
I know summer is almost over for most, (I'm just now starting mine) but remember... The #1 screw up that makes people incredibly sick is what you do in front of the grill. How many of you (don't lie to yourself, we've all done it) walk out to the grill in the back yard with a few raw steaks on a platter, slap them on the grill, then when they're done, put them back on the platter again to take in the house. A great way to get the entire family sick.
Sometimes you can't avoid something bad happening to you, but for the most part, common sense is the best way to avoid screwing yourself up.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Brag: I don't buy Men's Health
Beat: This thread quoted Men's Health
Variance: I cook my food

Ban OP.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I got deathly sick off of "cooked" eggs once (at least I'm 90% sure it was the eggs, or possibly the slice of ham put on it). I'm eaten 100s of eggs in my life. I'll continue to take my chances ;). Actually that 1 time getting sick in 30 years was enough to make me never want it to happen again....horrible!

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And one day, Men's Health will conclude that wiping your ass will cause cancer of the scrotum...

I guess I better go on the air and grass diet - oh wait, that's bad too!