John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am confused on an aspect i guess you could say of dieting. Now what i have been doing is for example say im maintaning(not bulking , not cutting , but maintaning)Note this is a meal- i take in broccoli,I eat a sweet potatoe, 2 peices of wheat bread(50 carbs give or take) with tuna(40 grams protein) ( atuna sandwich) and i take 8 grams of olive oil. now i have been reading a few articles and they say do not take in higher carbs and high fats at the same time. The articles say reduce the carbs up the fat or up the carbs , reduce the fat. I thought every meal(except postraining) is supposed to be "balanced" with carbs protein and fat. but something about too much insulin is released is what the articles ive been reading state. have i been doing things incorrectly for my body for the past year or so? and if so what do i need to do so it will make my body better in every aspect on this particular subject of balancing carbs and fats, am i doing things the best way to do them?

i want to look , feel and most importantly BE the best i can be:bb: :bb2:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No you have not necessarily been doing this wrong. While the info in those articles is theoretically correct it does not really describe the big picture.

A simplified explanation of insulin is that it is an anabolic hormone that: promotes glucose uptake from the blood and glycogen synthesis, promotes protein synthesis, and promotes fat cells to store FFA's.

Calorie for calorie, carb intake stimulates more insulin production than protein or fat intake. The idea is that you either eat carbs (high insulin but no fat to store) or fat (low insulin but lots of fat to store) but not both in order to minimize fat storage.

The critical piece of information that is missing is that it is excess energy intake (calories) that leads to fat gain and a deficit that leads to tissue loss. This is why you can lose weight on high carb diet despite the higher insulin levels than on a comparable calorie ketogenic diet (and arguably with better lean mass retention due to higher protein synthesis to boot).

So the key is to make sure that you are eating smaller, more frequent meals, at an appropriate calorie level for your goals. So make up that meal plan.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No you have not necessarily been doing this wrong. While the info in those articles is theoretically correct it does not really describe the big picture.

A simplified explanation of insulin is that it is an anabolic hormone that: promotes glucose uptake from the blood and glycogen synthesis, promotes protein synthesis, and promotes fat cells to store FFA's.

Calorie for calorie, carb intake stimulates more insulin production than protein or fat intake. The idea is that you either eat carbs (high insulin but no fat to store) or fat (low insulin but lots of fat to store) but not both in order to minimize fat storage.

The critical piece of information that is missing is that it is excess energy intake (calories) that leads to fat gain and a deficit that leads to tissue loss. This is why you can lose weight on high carb diet despite the higher insulin levels than on a comparable calorie ketogenic diet (and arguably with better lean mass retention due to higher protein synthesis to boot).

So the key is to make sure that you are eating smaller, more frequent meals, at an appropriate calorie level for your goals. So make up that meal plan.
Thanks man that helps bigtime!