11 New Mealtime Muscle Boosters

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
11 New Mealtime Muscle Boosters
Because you just can't eat another boneless, skinless chicken breast with brown rice

By: Phillip Rhodes

Shrimp

Three ounces--about 12 large shrimp--has almost 18 grams (g) of protein.

Oysters, clams, mussels

Three ounces of oysters will net you 11 g of protein, while the same amount of clams or mussels has nearly double that.

Quinoa
That's "keen-wah." Think of this South American grain as rice with a turbocharger. It has more protein than any other grain (22 g per cup). You can find it at health-food stores and many upscale grocery stores.

Couscous
Pasta is not the only energy food. Couscous is easy to cook--all you need is water, a microwave, and about 2 minutes.

Sloppy Joes

Beef has a higher creatine content than any other food. Try making it with Manwich Original Sauce. Dodging fatty toppings will save you nearly 20 g fat, says Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., R.D., a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

Baked beans
"A half cup serves up 6 g each of protein and filling dietary fiber," says Sass. Avoid extra saturated fat by choosing vegetarian baked beans.

Portobello mushrooms
"They're a great way to serve stuff. Just fill the cap with some diced chicken, pour in tomato sauce, and bake it for 10 minutes," says Vinny Steinman, a chef in San Diego. "It's a plate you can eat." And one with 1.5 g fiber and 2 g protein.

Prunes
Okay. Laugh. But they have high levels of antioxidants, and damaging oxidative stress is often a result of heavy exercise, says Janet Walberg Rankin, Ph.D., a professor of human nutrition at Virginia Tech. So eat up, and help your body recover faster.

"Fried" chicken
Chicken breasts are expert protein-delivery systems. You're also sick of them. So try this fake-out tactic. "Dip the breast in a beaten egg and roll it in a mixture of crushed cornflakes, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown," advises Katherine Tallmadge, R.D., author of Diet Simple.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Yeah right on the sloppy joes, you mean lean hamburger right?

Cuz ya know...

I like my sloppy joes.... eXXXXstra sloppy.... (Billy Madison)

~Mk

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
"Fried" chicken
Chicken breasts are expert protein-delivery systems. You're also sick of them. So try this fake-out tactic. "Dip the breast in a beaten egg and roll it in a mixture of crushed cornflakes, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown," advises Katherine Tallmadge, R.D., author of Diet Simple.
Oatmeal also works pretty well for this purpose instead of cornflakes.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Yeah right on the sloppy joes, you mean lean hamburger right?

Cuz ya know...

I like my sloppy joes.... eXXXXstra sloppy.... (Billy Madison)

~Mk
I always use the leanest beef that I can buy.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Fried chicken is an excellent idea to make a good change of those boiled breasts.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cous Cous is the fastest cooking pasta in the world!!!!! I like adding tiny chopped veggies to it, darn good stuff!