Barbecued Meats Increase Prostate Cancer Risk

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Few things taste as good as a barbecued steak or burger. Unfortunately, scientists from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore found that grilling meats produce compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which increase the risk of prostate cancer. The smoke that flares back on the meat when the fat hits the coals produce other cancer-causing substances called PAHs. Scientists from the American Institute of Cancer Research(AICR) suggest barbecuing vegetable and fruits as an alternative. Marinating meats also decrease HCA production by as much as 92 to 99 percent. The Institute also recommends cutting down on red meat consumption to prevent many types of cancer.

(Poster presented @ American Association Cancer Research: section 21, poster 16)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking there are some problems with semantics here:
To barbeque is to cook with heat and smoke at a very lot temperature for a very long time. Typically, you barbeque at between 200 and 250 degrees F. At these tempreatures, you're not charring the meat, and probably not producing any of the heterocyclic amines that you speak of.

Grilling is a whole different story. Grilling takes place at temperatures between 400 and 700 degrees F. Some people like to essentially burn the outsides of their steaks, and have them raw in the inside (or well done to the point of having the consistency of shoe leather.) Others may prefer to cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, avoiding the charred meat entirely.

Here's my thoughts.... don't burn the heck out of your meats, and you'll do just fine. Barbeque and Grilling are healthier from a fat standpoint, than pan-frying meats. In my opinion, they taste better too. Just because your dad burned the cr@p out of your steaks, doesn't mean that you have to do the same thing.

When barbecuing, use a drip pan, so that the fat doesn't hit the coals, flaring up, and causing the dreaded heterocyclic amines. Pretty simple.

-Tinytoad

Few things taste as good as a barbecued steak or burger. Unfortunately, scientists from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore found that grilling meats produce compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which increase the risk of prostate cancer. The smoke that flares back on the meat when the fat hits the coals produce other cancer-causing substances called PAHs. Scientists from the American Institute of Cancer Research(AICR) suggest barbecuing vegetable and fruits as an alternative. Marinating meats also decrease HCA production by as much as 92 to 99 percent. The Institute also recommends cutting down on red meat consumption to prevent many types of cancer.

(Poster presented @ American Association Cancer Research: section 21, poster 16)

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol I rather just skip all that and use the Foreman Grill :woohoo:

Very interesting what you're saying though. It's a good thing or two to keep in mind.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
mmh good bye barbecue pork ribs and 98% lean beef and rump roast. it's a cruel world out there.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking there are some problems with semantics here:
To barbeque is to cook with heat and smoke at a very lot temperature for a very long time. Typically, you barbeque at between 200 and 250 degrees F. At these tempreatures, you're not charring the meat, and probably not producing any of the heterocyclic amines that you speak of.

Grilling is a whole different story. Grilling takes place at temperatures between 400 and 700 degrees F. Some people like to essentially burn the outsides of their steaks, and have them raw in the inside (or well done to the point of having the consistency of shoe leather.) Others may prefer to cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, avoiding the charred meat entirely.

Here's my thoughts.... don't burn the heck out of your meats, and you'll do just fine. Barbeque and Grilling are healthier from a fat standpoint, than pan-frying meats. In my opinion, they taste better too. Just because your dad burned the cr@p out of your steaks, doesn't mean that you have to do the same thing.

When barbecuing, use a drip pan, so that the fat doesn't hit the coals, flaring up, and causing the dreaded heterocyclic amines. Pretty simple.

-Tinytoad
Much respect for this man...You are defintely a well deserved owner of The Big Green Egg.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
I guess motiver and I are the only cromagnon men left that like our beef RAW... :) We scare ecoli... and we grill it... just short of browning both sides. I am not too worried... :)

~Mk

ps. semantics or not... if you dip your meat in enough good sauce it really does get hard to burn them.... Cept chicken... chicken can be tricky to grill

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I only have one life to live, so I dont bother..

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
My friend's father used to say when the ends curled up, that's how you know a steak is done.

-Tinytoad
Tin foil with a slight bow in it to keep the fat centered works well. Easier to deal with when you're out camping with a charcoal grill, which is where I do most of my BBQing.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jesus!!!!! What can I do anymore???????? sheeeeeshh!

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
My friend's father used to say when the ends curled up, that's how you know a steak is done.

Tin foil with a slight bow in it to keep the fat centered works well. Easier to deal with when you're out camping with a charcoal grill, which is where I do most of my BBQing.
Can you describe this better... I can't picture it.

You have the coals in the bottom, then the grate/grill part and then the meat on the grill.

Where does the foil go...

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Youse guys need a smoker...the coals are usually not right under the meat. They are in a seperate chamber or there is a drip pan most often filled with water between the meat and wood(bullet shaped smoker). So no fat touches the coals.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Can you describe this better... I can't picture it.

You have the coals in the bottom, then the grate/grill part and then the meat on the grill.

Where does the foil go...
You can lay it over the coals usually, but I prefer to fold it over the ends of the grill itself so it's hanging between the grill and the coals. On the BBQ I have I can sort of get the fat to spout off onto the ground, but I stopped doing that because it just attracted a ****load of bugs. Just make sure it's hanging down a bit so the meat doesn't sit in the fat.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna keep on BBQ'ing my meats when I feel. Who cares, like someone said, you only have 1 life to live lol.

I'll just take my antioxidants with that BBQ meal :woohoo: