Peppermint Oil for IBS and more

1. Registered User
    Answers

Peppermint Oil for IBS and more

Found this article by Dr.Micahel Murray. I thought it was an intereting piece especially for those who suffer from IBS.

Peppermint oil complex - More than support for IBS

Enteric-coated peppermint oil has been shown to be quite helpful in improving gastrointestinal function in individuals suffering from the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) - a common functional disorder of the large intestine characterized by some combination of: (1) abdominal pain, (2) altered bowel function, constipation, or diarrhea, (3) hypersecretion of colonic mucus, (4) dyspeptic symptoms (flatulence, nausea, anorexia), and (5) varying degrees of anxiety or depression.
    In several double-blind studies, enteric-coated peppermint oil (ECPO) has been shown to be effective in relieving all symptoms of IBS in approximately 70-85% of cases within a two to four week period. In the latest trial, 42 children between 8-10 years old with IBS were given ECPO or placebo for 2 weeks. Dosage was one capsule three times daily for children 30-45 kg and two capsules three times daily for children over 45 kg. After 2 weeks, 76% of the ECPO group reported significant improvements compared to only 19% in the placebo group.1
    One of the central findings in IBS is a hypercontractility (excessive contraction) of intestinal smooth muscle. Peppermint oil, especially when combined with caraway oil, inhibits the hypercontractility of intestinal smooth muscle making it useful in cases of the irritable bowel syndrome as well as esophageal spasm and intestinal colic.2
    Other uses
    In addition to its effects in IBS, enteric-coated peppermint oil exerts benefits in non-ulcer dyspepsia, gastro-esophageal reflux disorder, intestinal overgrowth of Candida albicans (a common yeast implicated in many cases of IBS) and Helicobacter pylori (a bacteria linked to peptic ulcer disease and stomach cancer), and cases of gallstones.
    Non-ulcer dyspepsia (NUD) as well as gastro-esophageal reflux disorder (GERD) are basically catch-all terms that reflect kind of waste-basket diagnosis doctors use when they cannot find any real reason for a patient’s upper GI dysfunction, just as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is used as a waste basket diagnosis for lower GI dysfunction. Symptoms of NUD and GERD include heartburn as well as difficulty swallowing, feelings of pressure or heaviness after eating, sensations of bloating after eating, stomach or abdominal pains and cramps, as well as all of the symptoms of IBS. About three out of ten patients with NUD and GERD also meet the criteria for IBS.
    Caraway oil and oregano oil can enhance the benefits of peppermint oil
    Several of the clinical studies in patients with IBS featured the combination of peppermint oil and caraway oil. The results of these trials indicate that this combination produces better results than peppermint oil alone in symptoms of IBS. Recent studies also indicate the combination of peppermint and caraway oil is quite helpful in improving non-ulcer dyspepsia (NUD).3,4 In one double-blind study, 120 patients with NUD were given either the peppermint and caraway seed oil or cisapride (Propulsid) for 4 weeks.4 The mean reduction of pain score was comparable in both groups (4.62 for ECPO; 4.6 cisparide). Other symptoms of NUD also improved in a similar fashion. Positive results were also found in H. pylori positive individuals.
    The significance of this study is ENORMOUS. While enteric-coated peppermint and caraway oil is extremely safe at recommended levels, Propulsid caused fatal heart rhythm problems. According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, at least 111 people died as a result of Propulsid use and nearly 400 developed heart abnormalities. Propulsid has subsequently been yanked off the market.
    Oregano oil is among the most popular anti-candida recommendations by many natural health experts. The volatile oils from oregano, caraway, and peppermint are all effective antifungal agents. One study compared the anti-Candida effect of oregano oil to caprylic acid and found that the anti-Candida activity of oregano oil is greater than 100 times more potent than caprylic acid.5
    Enteric-coated peppermint oil also help gallstones
    Several studies have shown a combination of volatile oils can help dissolve gallstones.6 This approach to gallstone removal is not effective in all cases, but it does offer the opportunity for an effective alternative to surgery. The major components of the formula used in these studies, was menthol and carvone – the major components of peppermint oil and caraway oil, respectively.

References:

1. Kline RM, Kline JJ, Di Palma J, Barbero GJ. Enteric-coated, pH-dependent peppermint oil capsules for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome in children. J Pediatr 2001;138:125-8.
    2. Micklefield GH, Greving I, May B. Effects of peppermint oil and caraway oil on gastroduodenal motility. Phytother Res 2000;14:20-3.
    3. May B, Kuntz HD, Kieser M, et al: Efficacy of a fixed peppermint oil/caraway oil combination in non-ulcer dyspepsia. Arzneim Forsch 1996;46:1149-53.
    4. May B, Kohler S, Schneider B. Efficacy and tolerability of a fixed combination of peppermint oil and caraway oil in patients suffering from functional dyspepsia. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2000;14:1671-7.
    5. Stiles JC, Sparks W, Ronzio RA. The inhibition of Candida albicans by oregano. J Applied Nutr 1995;47:96-102.
    6. Somerville KW, Ellis WR, Whitten BH, et al: Stones in the common bile duct: experience with medical dissolution therapy. Postgrad Med J 1985;61:313-6.

2. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Very nice article Size, my girl suffers from IBS and I"ve been doing research to help her out. Any more info on this, I know they think bacteria is a major cause for IBS. This peppermine oil sounds great judging from the study. Any info on different products that work better then others?
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Any info on different products that work better then others?
    Well, the author of the article, Dr.Murray, would suggest Natural Factors, but he is affiliated with that company. With that said, I have been pleased with all the Natural Factor products that I have taken.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Peppermint Oil never really worked that well for me. I have had IBS for years. What really worked for me was a change in my diet. I switched to The Metabolic Diet about 5 years ago, and my symptoms have practically gone away. It is a carb-cycling type of diet. I do have some problems during carb ups, but nothing I can't handle. Also certain supplements I can't take because they bother my stomach, but that is just trail and error basically. Lower carbs = IBS gone!.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Didn't really help my wife's UC, but then no herbals do. Once it flares it goes crazy.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Anyone else taken this for IBS?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Have 2 bottles of Transaderm for sale and more
    By andrew732 in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
  2. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
  3. More bad press for supplements (and Arnold)
    By UnicronSpawn in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 05:49 AM
  4. Acadesine for PCT and more
    By Syr in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:34 PM