Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides - AnabolicMinds.com

Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides

1. New Member

Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides

Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides: potential agents in the prevention of obesity.

St-Onge MP, Jones PJ.

School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec, Canada, H9X 3V9.

Medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) are readily oxidized in the liver. Animal and human studies have shown that the fast rate of oxidation of MCFA leads to greater energy expenditure (EE). Most animal studies have also demonstrated that the greater EE with MCFA relative to long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) results in less body weight gain and decreased size of fat depots after several months of consumption. Furthermore, both animal and human trials suggest a greater satiating effect of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) compared with long-chain triglycerides (LCT). The aim of this review is to evaluate existing data describing the effects of MCT on EE and satiety and determine their potential efficacy as agents in the treatment of human obesity. Animal studies are summarized and human trials more systematically evaluated because the primary focus of this article is to examine the effects of MCT on human energy metabolism and satiety. Hormones including cholescytokinin, peptide YY, gastric inhibitory peptide, neurotensin and pancreatic polypeptide have been proposed to be involved in the mechanism by which MCT may induce satiety; however, the exact mechanisms have not been established. From the literature reviewed, we conclude that MCT increase energy expenditure, may result in faster satiety and facilitate weight control when included in the diet as a replacement for fats containing LCT.

2. Registered User

Looks interesting. We sell this at my store, but I had never tried it because I didn't think the cost was worth it. But I might have to give it a go....

~Mk
  3. Registered User

I am using MCT's right now. Seem to be doing great so far. My trainer insisted I use it in place of LCT's.
    •   

4. New Member

It's a big mistake to rely on branded supplements for something as simple as MCTs. Coconut oil is an ideal source of MCTs and can be bought from your supermarket.

The same applies to lecithin; I cringe when I walk into a supplement store and see them charging incredible prices for capped lecithin when it can be bought at a fraction of the price by the kilo.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anabolic Effects of Branched- chain Amino Acids
    By rolandajoint in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 03:06 AM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 10:13 AM
  5. effects of heat on T1pro?